Slater Designs Great White Twin

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
@ReForest What are you expecting it to do differently than your Tomo twins?
Hmm. Good question. I guess I just want to see how it compares to them. I've been having such a blast on these twinnies I want to put something up against it.

Plus I want to try that iBolic in volcanic tech. Sounds interesting.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
It works for all the best pro surfers who are sponsored by Slater Designs - so why wouldn't it work for everyone?

Edit: I do like Rizal a lot. So not meant as an attack. Dude rips.

perfect_wave

OTF status
Dec 5, 2002
Hmm. Good question. I guess I just want to see how it compares to them. I've been having such a blast on these twinnies I want to put something up against it.

Plus I want to try that iBolic in volcanic tech. Sounds interesting.
My short review:
The Great White Twin is a really good board. I rode it in punchy beach break with some corners. It was much faster than my CI Pro and still had good control. Vertical snaps were effortless - I could get right up in the lip. I set it up as a 2+1. I think I’d prefer the stabler feeling of that fin setup on most waves with this board, but I will try it as a pure twin when the waves are clean and playful. The board paddles well too.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Scored a sand bottom point on it today, and I don't think I like it, at least not yet anyway. I'm not particularly articulate when it comes to describing what I like and dislike in a board, but I'll try.

The board felt very average, no particular outstanding quality to talk about. It didn't really have much speed, especially off the takeoff. It wasn't snappy in the turns, in fact I straight up just fell on my back a couple times for no reason I could tell.

The salient point that kept sticking in my head is that it rode "flat" - I don't even really know what I mean by that, but it feels accurate. The board feels its width when I ride it. It's a little wider than my other boards, but I REALLY feel the width, maybe that's why I think it feels like it rides flat, because I just couldn't get it on rail.

This could well 100% archer problem.

edit: it does paddle well.

edit 2: checking the width again, the flat earth I had was 20 1/4 and this is 20 3/16 - so its actually a touch narrower but feels that much wider when I surf it.

Last edited:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Scored a sand bottom point on it today, and I don't think I like it, at least not yet anyway. I'm not particularly articulate when it comes to describing what I like and dislike in a board, but I'll try.

The board felt very average, no particular outstanding quality to talk about. It didn't really have much speed, especially off the takeoff. It wasn't snappy in the turns, in fact I straight up just fell on my back a couple times for no reason I could tell.

The salient point that kept sticking in my head is that it rode "flat" - I don't even really know what I mean by that, but it feels accurate. The board feels its width when I ride it. It's a little wider than my other boards, but I REALLY feel the width, maybe that's why I think it feels like it rides flat, because I just couldn't get it on rail.

This could well 100% archer problem.

edit: it does paddle well.

edit 2: checking the width again, the flat earth I had was 20 1/4 and this is 20 3/16 - so its actually a touch narrower but feels that much wider when I surf it.
Just saw some footage of the waves there yesterday...so clean and uncrowded.
Surfed Nationals early this morning...sectiony and then filling up as the tide came in. Got one decent sized wide one that went all the way from the top of the carpark to the end of Johnson's for my last wave so wasn't totally crap.

What fins are you running in it?

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Just saw some footage of the waves there yesterday...so clean and uncrowded.
Surfed Nationals early this morning...sectiony and then filling up as the tide came in. Got one decent sized wide one that went all the way from the top of the carpark to the end of Johnson's for my last wave so wasn't totally crap.

What fins are you running in it?
Was definitely not uncrowded, that's for sure :D Link the footage?

I went full coolaid and running the Enforfins with the little nub.

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
I prefer the “big nub” with the endorfins. The little one didn’t work for me - maybe try that and see if it helps (doubt it though)

Oct 5, 2021
Heavy compared to other epoxy constructions? I just picked up a volcanic cymatic, feels same weight if not lighter than the revo. Feels pretty light to me, don’t know what it feels like in the water and won’t for another 4-6 weeks as I just tore my mcl. Surprised to hear you found it heavy though. I feel like the FW constructions aren’t super light compared to light speed or future flex, but a fair bit lighter than the Js hi fi construction. And a lot lighter than a normal 4/4 pu construction.

Reactions: Retropete

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I'd claim that mine's heavier that any PU I have of the same size. It's heavy, and everyone that's felt it said the same.

• Sad
Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Maybe you got a dud waxy? The Cymatic volcanic has a different blank than the Great White volcanic, so maybe that has something to do with the weight? I'm not sure what the weight difference is between the two, but i could probably find out.

The Cymatic has a helium blank (1.0lb EPS with paulownia rails) with two sheets of 4 OZ Basalt on top and one 4 OZ basalt on bottom.
The Great White has an iBolic blank (1.5 lb EPS with high density rails and stringer) with the same two sheets of 4 OZ Basalt on top and one 4 OZ basalt on bottom.