Slater Designs Great White Twin

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I'm wondering if people are coming to realize, AGAIN, that they can't ride boards like Slater's boards.

#historyrepeatsitself
The flat earth was a fantastic board, I sold mine to fund the GW - a mistake.

@Mr J - as above, the only criticism / issue i had with the FE, is that I’d sometimes be a little inconsistent on it, but thats part & parcel with that kind of board.

Reactions: Mr J and ReForest

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
He rode it at Pipe last year. If they have to run when it’s small Backdoor could happen or at Bells if they run at Winkipop.

WSL got skunked all 2023 but it’s El Niño this season. I think the days they don’t run in Hawaii is because it’s going to be too big. There’s been a lot of gnar gnar days here. They had to run the Haleiwa Invitational Open in some hectic conditions so far. Luckily they had a small day to run groms.

Last edited:
Reactions: freeride76

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I understand now. I always thought it was an infatuation with Tomo. Hence the Timmy love.

But the true root of this is you’re a Kelly Stan. Haha.
Word is if you dm him something interesting Kelly will reply.
can confirm. Played “what would you rather Wednesday” with KS for a long time some years ago when i used social media. Before twin fins became cool again I asked him if he’d rather ride only twin fins all year or give his oldest living relative a full body massage. He said he actually really likes twin fins, and that his oldest living relative is a male, as if that makes any difference. Still your relative. Anyways, pretty sure I caused this twin fin nonsense kick he’s been on since. Probably doesn’t even like them, just falls asleep going “no grandpa!” And wakes up in a sweat “damn you stringcheese!”

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Scored a sand bottom point on it today, and I don't think I like it, at least not yet anyway. I'm not particularly articulate when it comes to describing what I like and dislike in a board, but I'll try.

The board felt very average, no particular outstanding quality to talk about. It didn't really have much speed, especially off the takeoff. It wasn't snappy in the turns, in fact I straight up just fell on my back a couple times for no reason I could tell.

The salient point that kept sticking in my head is that it rode "flat" - I don't even really know what I mean by that, but it feels accurate. The board feels its width when I ride it. It's a little wider than my other boards, but I REALLY feel the width, maybe that's why I think it feels like it rides flat, because I just couldn't get it on rail.

This could well 100% archer problem.

edit: it does paddle well.

edit 2: checking the width again, the flat earth I had was 20 1/4 and this is 20 3/16 - so its actually a touch narrower but feels that much wider when I surf it.
Motherfuck - copped a speeding ticket that day for 300 bucks.... stupid board just keep on giving.

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2020
@ReForest did you cancel your order after Waxy's scathing thumbs down analysis of the board?
I see they have "expanded" the size range available to suit the expanded.
Nope. It's actually waiting for me at the warehouse. I need to go pick it up.

I spoke to Timmy about the board and even though he no longer rides for Firewire he said the board was actually a favorite for him. He said its a really good board. So I'm still frothing to try it!

Reactions: sh3 and Retropete

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Nope. It's actually waiting for me at the warehouse. I need to go pick it up.

I spoke to Timmy about the board and even though he no longer rides for Firewire he said the board was actually a favorite for him. He said its a really good board. So I'm still frothing to try it!
kind of surprised honestly that you havent frozen timmy out since he doesnt ride for FW anymore....