Slater Designs Great White Twin

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Its hard for me to talk about board design without using my hands.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
He surfed that board OK.

Typical wide-stanced HPSB surfing.

It didn't look to have any twin fin speed or glide to it- so why not just ride a HPSB?

I predict the design will sink without a trace within 6 months- not enough product differentiation with other twins and too high performance for the Firewire target market.
They look pretty different.
IMG_0390.jpeg

And a stubby “high-performance groveler” probably isn’t too high performance for nearly anyone.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Side by side, i think i'd be more included to go with the Too Fish. :unsure:

But, something about the Volcanic has been super interested.

Swallow Tail

Michael Peterson status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
This is what happens when you order local shaper customs. Should have just bought a pop-out…
There’s been more than once that I’ve met a shaper at local spot to PU a new sled when it was firing. Not as much fun as order a bort online n waiting for a shipping container from where-da-Fack-Eva but what’s a guy gonna do?

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Bladed out refers to the foil, not the outline.

But the outline is close enough anyways.

Thin foil and tapered rails = kook proof and thus market failure.

Just my opinion, of course, I could be wrong.

But based on FW sales/model popularity so far, I think I have many data points to base opinion on.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
The foils look similar, and easy to ride, though the rails on the FE look a little more pinched and the wide point is behind center. I don't know sh!t obviously but would guess that the Great White Twin is generally more stable and therefore easier to surf.

Website_Profiles_FlatEarth.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Turtle71 and Mr J

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
There’s been more than once that I’ve met a shaper at local spot to PU a new sled when it was firing. Not as much fun as order a bort online n waiting for a shipping container from where-da-Fack-Eva but what’s a guy gonna do?
I had a stock 6’3 otr Fever. Was surfing a local spot here in sb on a rare good day with solid overhead waves at a lonely spot. Snapped the board in half. Walked to my car, drove to CI Shop, grabbed a stock 6’3 Fever off the rack, tail pad, waxed it up swapped out the leash string, drove back to the spot, surfed for another 3 hours. Never even took my wetsuit off.

The board rack at CI is my local shaper.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I had a stock 6’3 otr Fever. Was surfing a local spot here in sb on a rare good day with solid overhead waves at a lonely spot. Snapped the board in half. Walked to my car, drove to CI Shop, grabbed a stock 6’3 Fever off the rack, tail pad, waxed it up swapped out the leash string, drove back to the spot, surfed for another 3 hours. Never even took my wetsuit off.

The board rack at CI is my local shaper.
Did you notice any difference with the new board being finless?
:p

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2012
The foils look similar, and easy to ride, though the rails on the FE look a little more pinched and the wide point is behind center. I don't know sh!t obviously but would guess that the Great White Twin is generally more stable and therefore easier to surf.

View attachment 167670
I've had both, currently only ridden the GWT in some shoulder high clean but pretty slack conditions. The GWT feels more bladed and a lot livelier than the FE did. It's early days but from first impressions its got much more spice about it. I always thought the FE felt Mehh

Reactions: ReForest

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
I've had both, currently only ridden the GWT in some shoulder high clean but pretty slack conditions. The GWT feels more bladed and a lot livelier than the FE did. It's early days but from first impressions its got much more spice about it. I always thought the FE felt Mehh
Obviously “a lot livelier” and “more spice about it” is because it has volcanic ash laminated into it…and according to FW marketing lingo it was “forged in fire”

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
It’s funny that people are saying the foil is the point of difference when that aspect is so similar. But again, I don’t know sh!t. Btw, when comparing them yesterday I noticed that the fins on the GWT are more forward, but maybe that‘s generally how they’re arranged on a swallow tail.