San Clemente's "2 Percenters" : the next "Brazilian Storm"?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I dont know anything but personally Im skeptical. Kate Madison surfs like Sally Fitzgibbons. Style wise he makes the brazzos look good. Now that ive outed myself as a hater he will probably do great on the tour.

Crosby is alright. Did the big goofy footer make the tour? He is probably my favorite of the bunch.

perfect_wave

OTF status
Dec 5, 2002
I dont know anything but personally Im skeptical. Kate Madison surfs like Sally Fitzgibbons. Style wise he makes the brazzos look good. Now that ive outed myself as a hater he will probably do great on the tour.

Crosby is alright. Did the big goofy footer make the tour? He is probably my favorite of the bunch.
Something about Kade Matson’s style looks so forced and janky, especially the arms. Maybe overcoached too? I think a year of freesurfing, smoking weed, traveling and surfing a variety of boards would do well for his style.

Yes Cole made the tour, he should do well at places like Sunset and Margaret River.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

I'm pulling for Schitt Jelling.

Seriously, though, we've seen how the San Clemente groms and pros stack-up against the Brazzos and Aussies (Ewing) in the WSL finals, right? Colapinto couldn't beat them and Andino fell off the tour.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
We know Italo's story, but not all Brazilians are poor.

Is it harder to travel on the real? Yes.

But Gabriel and Felipe were not impoverished by any means.
That is true. Gabriel probably more than wealthy than Filipe, but still. Growing up in a 3rd world country is much different than growing up in California.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I do enjoy watching Cole H's surfing.

As far as the rest of the crew

Colapinga - another San Clemente generic
Schitt - peppy and energetic, he will never break the top 10 (if he qualifies)
Kate - needs an automatic 3 pt deduction until his style improves; regardless will never break the top 10
Kolohe - could prob requalify but has reached the stage where he "milks this thing as long as possible."

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
On the ladies' side Alyssa Spencer and Sawyer Lindblad are both pretty meh imo. I've seen zero footage of them in any juice. At least Marks will have some competition when it comes to doing the same backhand turn 50 times on a wave?

Reactions: Badger_Badger

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
On the ladies' side Alyssa Spencer and Sawyer Lindblad are both pretty meh imo. I've seen zero footage of them in any juice. At least Marks will have some competition when it comes to doing the same backhand turn 50 times on a wave?
Alyssa is from Encinitas. They’re both pretty young - I’d not write them off quite yet. Particularly Sawyer.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
I do enjoy watching Cole H's surfing.

As far as the rest of the crew

Colapinga - another San Clemente generic
Schitt - peppy and energetic, he will never break the top 10 (if he qualifies)
Kate - needs an automatic 3 pt deduction until his style improves; regardless will never break the top 10
Kolohe - could prob requalify but has reached the stage where he "milks this thing as long as possible."
IDK if he is as good as Griff in a heat but Crosby is more exciting to watch in clips. Kinda like a young Jordy.

Matson's jazz hands are atrocious.

I think the top 3 Bravo's are a generational talent but not sure there is anybody there to replace them. Sooner or later those airs into the flats will catch up with them and they will be safety surfing like Jordy does.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
I was there for the weekend. San Clemente is pretty funny ( screwed up). Lots of shitty ass schnauzers. All the locals run around on the beach in black seal wersuits. Maybe 2/3 get in the water. Lotsa collagen lips. When I was a kid nobody had wetsuits. We just got used to it. My kids played in the water 2 hrs twice over this weekend without complaint. San Clemente kinda sux from the 70’s…Dana Point is worse.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
I was there for the weekend. San Clemente is pretty funny ( screwed up). Lots of shitty ass schnauzers. All the locals run around on the beach in black seal wersuits. Maybe 2/3 get in the water. Lotsa collagen lips. When I was a kid nobody had wetsuits. We just got used to it. My kids played in the water 2 hrs twice over this weekend without complaint. San Clemente kinda sux from the 70’s…Dana Point is worse.
When I was a kid people got polio. We just got used to it. I gave my kids polio twice over the weekend without complaint.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Oh to be so judged

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Alyssa is a beast. I've surfed with her several times in Oceanside and she hits the lip better than most guys in Oside. I think she will give Caroline some good competition.