Brad Gerlach Wave Ki

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I've been moving in the opposite direction to arm waving- trying to do less on a wave, be more patient and do bigger, fuller turns.
I like the way this kids surfs, very simple but every turn is really framed up by classical body positioning.
yeah, not pro style surfing, he keeps his arms much lower which leads to less aggressive arm swinging and a more relaxed look. Sometimes he is using the same pro technique eg. the bottom turn off the lip combo starting at 1-20 is the backside "waitress tray carry" - leading hand has palm facing forward (because arm is low) then it raises up, he looks down into the trough as his board comes off the lip and his trailing arm elbows back into the wave to provide some extra torque. The slow motion smooths it out, but it is probably smooth and full speed.

There is at least one other backside combo example where he uses the trailing arm elbow/swing to fascilitate this, however sometimes he manages it with his style of putting his trailing hand in the wave face and keeping it there without any swing, which means he must have optimal body positioning to come off the lip nicely.

Reactions: teeroi

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
This guy popped up on YouTube. Surfs much better than Yury and his reviews are more detailed. Plus he’s an older Asian goofy footer. Feeling that. But he’s a little too tall to be in my mental midget club.
he is really good, doesn't need triactin. He says 5' 8" so a midget by erBB standards, but Asian scaled not a midget. I'm 5' 7" and don't consider myself to be a midget.

PS surfs on my fibreglass boar went much better today.

• Haha

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
This guy popped up on YouTube. Surfs much better than Yury and his reviews are more detailed. Plus he’s an older Asian goofy footer. Feeling that. But he’s a little too tall to be in my mental midget club.

Are you guys serious?! He rips! Especially w his tan helmet on! Nearly CT level.

• Haha
Reactions: Aruka and teeroi

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
I've been moving in the opposite direction to arm waving- trying to do less on a wave, be more patient and do bigger, fuller turns.
I like the way this kids surfs, very simple but every turn is really framed up by classical body positioning.
Me too but going back to being 21, listening to music that could cause a riot, and surfing waves like they were ramps would be pretty f'n fun. Oscar rips on any board and I appreciate the calm. But when I watch good local kids always out solely on even more retro craft, I sometimes wince, feeling internally what is possible. As they go by, I wonder, 'why are you trying to surf like you are in your fifties, rip it to pieces young man.'

Last edited:
  • Love

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Me too but going back to being 21, listening to music that could cause a riot, and surfing waves like they were ramps would be pretty f'n fun. Oscar rips on any board and I appreciate the calm. But when I watch good local kids always out solely on even more retro craft, I sometimes wince, feeling internally what is possible. As they go by, I wonder, 'why are you trying to surf like you are in your fifties, rip it to pieces young man.'
As a kid w/ short colorful boards old guys gave us major grief and we were instantly regulated to the inside left overs. They called us gyrating kooks and spazzes. Now kids are doing it differently again and are being called out for it.
Fcking kids, always fcking it up.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
What's triactin MrJ?
You probably don't need it. I'm still finding my feet after a lengthy rehab and recent return to my fibreglass boar. Was introduced to me by teeroi on the YOLO thread here https://forum.surfer.com/index.php?threads/yolo-alerts.234006/post-3836411

One thing I would suggest is if you are really serious about improving your surfing is to find a really good surf coach. The pros have coaches, so recreational enthusiasts like us should not feel embarrassed about taking lessons. Lessons are not cheap, but it has given me a better understanding of surfing technique and cues to work on which makes sessions more interesting and enjoyable. If you have been rubbing shoulders with competitive surfers and getting tips from them, then that would be different. Teeroi has a good understanding of surfing biomechanics and I guess that's how he got it.

• Haha

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
You probably don't need it. I'm still finding my feet after a lengthy rehab and recent return to my fibreglass boar. Was introduced to me by teeroi on the YOLO thread here https://forum.surfer.com/index.php?threads/yolo-alerts.234006/post-
Teeroi has a good understanding of surfing biomechanics and I guess that's how he got it.
Teeroi has a good understanding of surfing biomechanics and I guess that's how he got it.
Somewhat. When I fall especially in a barrel I’ll ask what happened. I’ll ask some of my pro surfer friends how to do a turn better. Some can’t explain it in understandable terms.

But my first lessons were always the scary uncles yelling at us. Faka don’t sit there. Faakin punk don’t do that again. Move your faakin arms. Don’t move your faakin arms. Bend ur faakin knees. Haha.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Blowing waves is one thing not charging is another. Eating sh*t sending it is almost as respected as sending it and making it.
Agreed. This is how I grew up & learned. If someone challenges you, you go. You don't, you become invisible in the line-up. Doesn't matter if it's a huge closeout and you're going to get worked. You go. When the day comes you have to make a crazy late drop on a bomb, this training pays off in huge dividends.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Foam balls take me out a bunch. I asked Walshy (Anthony) about his ten point ride at Teahupoo as a wildcard. He told me he was in between two foam balls and the spit pushed him over the second one and shot him out. I asked about riding the foam ball. Walshy said to weigh your back foot to keep the fins engaged. I was taught to lean forward in the barrel so this is hard to adjust. But when you are leaning too hard on your front foot toward the nose the foam ball will lift your fins up and bye bye.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Thats good advice.

I remember I got a real deep one at Gnaraloo (Tombstones) on the foam ball, I backdoored this big slab section and the wave spat back at me, pushed me deeper.
Then this big triangular foam ball pushed me out, I felt like I was going sideways.

It was only because the barrel was so big and round and there was so much room I made it out.
I think that the session where I thought I had broken my back after getting slammed on one of the outside mushroom heads of coral/limestone.

Some 8-10ft sets and waves that just were not paddle able.

Last edited:

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Trying to make a late season G-land trip happen and been watching this to psych up.

Coaching for hectic big Indo barrels?

Get deep and pull in.

Probs take a 6'9" and a 6'6" if it happens and the f/cast looks OK.

barrels is a very different skill to HP surfing. Not sure if coaching in any sized barrels could help lost causes like me :D

I hope you get that Indo trip!