oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Kamchatka
What’s his Wikipedia say?

edit:
This podcast description says:
“His name is Yury Tsedenov and those in the Rockaway community know him well. His videos are from a more entry level surfer perspective…
He’s originally from Russia and came to New York City in 2009 and started surfing in 2013.”
So, it’s Yury- not Yuri. Someone should really listen to it for the rest of us. LOL

Last edited:

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
So I actually tried this the last couple days and it feels almost exactly like doing a stroke of freestyle swim? At least frontside - forward square gliding, pull back and rotate to bottom turn, reach up and over rotating back to top turn.

It also works my mind was kind of blown
Yes, the trailing arm has gone in front of the body prior to or early stages of the bottom turn and as you drive the board in the trough the hand is palm down and scooping backwards - its not going to get any traction worth mentioning from the air (unless you are in a Looney Tunes dimension I suppose), but its as if as that is what you are trying. This allows it to carry the scooping momentum into a sort of windmilling overhead swing as you hit the lip. Sounds ugly, but all the pros are doing it to some degree or other. A reason why hp surfing manages to look good despite this swinging is because the arcing of the surfboard nose and backdrop of the wave provides a complimentary distraction - and explains why someone on a surfskate performing the exact same motions looks silly, because they don't have boar and wave visuals.

The reason why I called coffee cup an incomplete cue is that it only describes the reach forward part (I haven't paid much attention to OMBE though).

The "superman" part I was taught is what to do with the leading arm while the trailing arm is doing this scooping - it punches forward directly at the lip (not swinging) this means that when you hit the lip and the trailing arm is doing that overhead swing you can point your leading superman hand back down into the trough - this stops kooks like me from ending up with the leading arm pointing the wrong way.

On the waveki thread @Woke AF gave an example of Sally fitz with arms swinging "the wrong way" - that's because she was doing that off the lip tweak variation where the board snaps into a backwards pointing tail slide (Yago Dora did this tail slide tweak magnificently in the Rio Pro final, without resorting to weird arms) - well that arms the wrong way sometimes used to happen to me just trying a really basic off the lip and I never knew what was causing me to get it all wrong. So superman stops that.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
torn between a few yolos myself. The menu is broad -

CI happy everyday is the door busting bargain

Lost sub driver is a long term curious

Lost RNF96 bc I need to ensure at least half my quiver is 6” under my height

Album Moonstone soyboy dad bod comp edition at a couple of inches above my height

gonna go soft stroke to the email a few times and see if I can muster out a strong finish.
You ever try a sub driver? I've also be long-term curious about that one, and I'm gearing up for a yolo or two.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
You ever try a sub driver? I've also be long-term curious about that one, and I'm gearing up for a yolo or two.
Have not - i keep an eye out for used market but they never seem to pop up. The last lost‘s I had were my Subscorcher 2 and subbuggy, lol. You’d think I’d have rounded out with the sub driver.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Have not - i keep an eye out for used market but they never seem to pop up. The last lost‘s I had were my Subscorcher 2 and subbuggy, lol. You’d think I’d have rounded out with the sub driver.
Rode a mini driver for a while and really liked it... Hated the rocket redux.

dcurbelo

OTF status
Jan 27, 2011
Atlantic Ocean
just yolo'd a Pyzel Red Tiger thru my local shop. 5’11 x 19 3/4 x 2 5/8 with tapered rails
Keen to hear your first impressions. I didn’t connect with it as expected on my first surf. I still have plenty of work to do trying different sets of fins and waves, so let’s see if I’m able to put it back on track. Mine is the XL version.

Reactions: tedshred5 and j_mac