*** Official 2024 Community Surf Journal ***

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Wonky midday high tide session. Super dumpy and closed out. Rips everywhere. Not very good at all. BUT I did ride the Bullet as a quad for the first time and it felt really good, even in the terrible junk I was surfing. Looking forward to some more reps with this setup. MF large fronts and AM rears.

84061012-22D1-499D-A25C-4AE9AF746997.jpeg

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Wonky midday high tide session. Super dumpy and closed out. Rips everywhere. Not very good at all.

View attachment 174117
Kinda lackluster winter so far especially by El Nino standards. I feel like every bump tends to be super mixed up and come not at the new/full moon when it'd be deep enough or shallow enough to make sense of the mix, but rather in the middle of the cycle, where it's mushouts with too much water at low tide and closeouts with not enough water at high tide.

Kind of lacking the sustained pulse. Like the NE blowout lasts 12 hours instead of 2-3 days.

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Kinda lackluster winter so far especially by El Nino standards. I feel like every bump tends to be super mixed up and come not at the new/full moon when it'd be deep enough or shallow enough to make sense of the mix, but rather in the middle of the cycle, where it's mushouts with too much water at low tide and closeouts with not enough water at high tide.

Kind of lacking the sustained pulse. Like the NE blowout lasts 12 hours instead of 2-3 days.
Yep! Totally agree. The tide/wave situation makes it especially difficult at the C grade spot behind the house. I almost went to the pier today, and if it wasn't for the rain, I probably would have. Haven't surfed there in like 8 years.

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Surfed the crowded spot this morning but it was worth it. Super fun WH-CH glassy peaks that allowed for multiple turns. Paddled down the beach a bit and sat by myself for the majority of the session. New Fascination was perfect for the conditions. Stocked!

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
fyi, if you’re really 5’11 (like barefoot, not counting hair, no cheating 5’11) you’re supposed to say you’re six foot. Maybe even 6’1 if you have broad shoulders. I only recently learned this, and am now 6’0, or 6’1 if someone guesses that.
yeah, thanks to Racer's advice, I gained 1/2" and now confidently tell people I'm 6'1. I'd been saying 6'0 all of my adult life. It's a whole new world for Oeste!

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Man! I should've hit it. Ddin't even think this wind would've allowed it today, so stayed lazy (and did chores/housework/bs). Damn - I will be on it next time!

Reactions: santacruzin

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Back to the crowded spot again around 11 this morning. Basically a repeat of Sunday. Fun, clean WH-CH waves. Too crowded for a Tuesday morning, but caught plenty of waves and saw some old friends in the water.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Two days out of the water, and have been so exhausted and grumpy. It cleaned up today, still a bit wide and fat, but inner point was not bad. Bonus was warm water and hardly anybody out (5 to 10 max).

Strong sweep kept wave count down, but I'm stoked.

http://instagr.am/p/C4JW4jZSBff/

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Back to the crowded spot again around 11 this morning. Basically a repeat of Sunday. Fun, clean WH-CH waves. Too crowded for a Tuesday morning, but caught plenty of waves and saw some old friends in the water.
Maybe that explains it then. After watching oddly unoccupied waves on the cam for like 20 minutes, I went to the most crowded spot between OBX Fighthouse and Ponce Inlet around 1, for the first time since hurricane season 2020. Felt like ass for some reason but did not once have any interaction for priority. No need to defend deeper, nobody hopping, no sections paddled down, nobody in the way, nothing. I saw Garrett showing up when I was leaving and I asked him, does it seem oddly empty to you? He agreed and thought it might be some contest down in Cocoa.

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
Maybe that explains it then. After watching oddly unoccupied waves on the cam for like 20 minutes, I went to the most crowded spot between OBX Fighthouse and Ponce Inlet around 1, for the first time since hurricane season 2020. Felt like ass for some reason but did not once have any interaction for priority. No need to defend deeper, nobody hopping, no sections paddled down, nobody in the way, nothing. I saw Garrett showing up when I was leaving and I asked him, does it seem oddly empty to you? He agreed and thought it might be some contest down in Cocoa.
most crowded i ever seen it there on the cam last night. stomach high and not that good and looked like lowers crowds. same water temp too.