*** Official Sunset Beach Pro Contest Thread ***

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Kelly should have dropped the mic after his last Pipe win. I try to pull for him in contests since he's only six months younger than me and has been an inspiration for more than 30 years, but it's been time for him to wrap it up for a while now. If every CT destination was guaranteed to be firing/barreling he could possibly stay above the cut-line IMHO for another few years, but with the hip surgery and an 52 year old body, he can't hang with the younger guard anymore.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Yeah, but he sarfs better than: Joe T and Kaipo. His ESL grammar is tough on me, but he has CT experience and obviously the Tati relationship. Joe Turpel sarfs really well, better than I had expected. He could have made some heats on the QS back in the day.

He hides his brazzo accent rather well but you're right about the grammar. the WSL posted that last Robo barrel and Jessé was talking... "He's good at finding waves that DOESN'T really exist"... concordance errors are really hard on the ears. He should at least have corrected himself, show he knows it was wrong but not so easy on the fly... it is just a second language after all, that I can understand.

But even before he met Tati he was probably the best english speaking brazzo of the bunch... maybe Yago too. I think he speaks english better than Filipe too (Filipe only started getting good after moving to San Clemente... Jessé I feel is more like me... simply finds it rather easy somehow... hard to find brazzos speaking in that level if they haven't been living in the US for over 5 years or so).

Reactions: ChaseTMP

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
He hides his brazzo accent rather well but you're right about the grammar. the WSL posted that last Robo barrel and Jessé was talking... "He's good at finding waves that DOESN'T really exist"... concordance errors are really hard on the ears. He should at least have corrected himself, show he knows it was wrong but not so easy on the fly... it is just a second language after all, that I can understand.

But even before he met Tati he was probably the best english speaking brazzo of the bunch... maybe Yago too. I think he speaks english better than Filipe too (Filipe only started getting good after moving to San Clemente... Jessé I feel is more like me... simply finds it rather easy somehow... hard to find brazzos speaking in that level if they haven't been living in the US for over 5 years or so).
I don’t think anyone expects him to have perfect grammar. We all know he’s Brazilian. It’s not like the people he’s surrounded by are particularly eloquent either.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
There are a lot of people who could be announcing next to Turpel, I don't dislike mendes but he is not particularly compelling either...turpel needs a straight man and maybe mendes's blandness clicks..the tati angle seems unlikely but maybe the wsl marketing department really is that fucking stupid.

Reactions: Aruka

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
There are a lot of people who could be announcing next to Turpel, I don't dislike mendes but he is not particularly compelling either...turpel needs a straight man and maybe mendes's blandness clicks..the tati angle seems unlikely but maybe the wsl marketing department really is that fucking stupid.
I’d bet (but haven’t actually seen) Jesse is also doing the Portuguese webcast. Dual coverage with one paycheck.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
the play by play desperately needs it to become the wave pool tour. too much downtime in the ocean even with the overlapping heat format.

turpel is a major liability when it comes to growing a cross over sports audience. can you imagine dodgers fan who grew up listening to vinny, thinking cool it maybe slow out there but at least we got joe t to entertain us

Reactions: EastCoastBrah

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

how is ur engrish so good if ur a brazzo?