*** Official Sunset Beach Pro Contest Thread ***

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Odds they don't start till the 18th? Forecast right now makes 19th look like the best day of the draw. Small NW swell with super long period means the point could be all time. Other days look kinda meh right now, short period.

Reactions: Boneroni and teeroi

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Appreciate the local knowledge and boots on the ground info.

I love watching sunset. So many moods.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Way back in the day. I surfed Rockies or the sand bar in the am and drove to Sunset to check out an early round. Saw Tony Moniz and Matt Mondragon on the beach waiting for their heats. Told Tony if he needed a caddy I’d paddle his spare boar out. Tony said thanks but he already got one braddah to caddy, he could use some beer money. Asked Matt and he said he only brought one boar.

I stuck around to watch their heats. Tony whistled and this local moke comes running down the beach with jeans on and his pockets pulled out. He was Tony’s caddy. Haha.

I don’t remember how Matt did he made that first heat. And Tony went to the finals with MR winning.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Here's the latest forecast (from Craig, at swellnet)

"...At any rate, the swell on Friday will be too big for Sunset so the next possible day would be Saturday. However, it too will remain poor as the swell eases towards a managable size (for Sunset) yet the winds remain strong from the north-northeast. Sunset's open-ocean arena will remain wild. Late in the day it may settle enough for good video footage to emerge, however Hawaii's stringent contest restrictions will likely overrule waiting for that to happen.

The ocean will finally become more organised into Sunday, with strong east-northeast trade-winds and a large pulse of reinforcing swell from dawn to 10-12ft. It'll be mid-period energy and more northerly than the existing swell, generated by a secondary low firing up in the wake of the current storm...."

Reactions: ElOgro and teeroi

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Those turns by John John are a thing of beauty. He's timing his turns with the back-chop perfectly and with power.

Also, was that guy on the pink and blue board riding a HPSUP? Crazy how loose that huge board was.
jjf absolutely obliterating it...how short do you think his board is? doesnt look an inch over 6'2"...unbelievable...

Reactions: Boneroni

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Those turns by John John are a thing of beauty. He's timing his turns with the back-chop perfectly and with power.

Also, was that guy on the pink and blue board riding a HPSUP? Crazy how loose that huge board was.
what's rad is that's probably just "steve" from the local hardware store

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid

That's Jamie Sterling, aye? Board looked good, and it's funny how you can get used to turning a big sled. I sometimes ride my 8'0 in only ~10ft faces and it fcuken goes!

And apart from his otherworldly talent JJ must have super strong legs.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Check out John’s coach at Sunset. Ross says he’s on John’s 6’2 but John says it’s a 6’4.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Check out John’s coach at Sunset. Ross says he’s on John’s 6’2 but John says it’s a 6’4.

Has barely lost a step. And done without t overload and Mexican stem cell injections!

Reactions: tenover

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
jjf absolutely obliterating it...how short do you think his board is? doesnt look an inch over 6'2"...unbelievable...
I think he was riding a 6-4 at pipe. My guess is he is riding a 6-4 here at sunset too. Still nuts.

Hopefully someone like Ethan or Jack or Barron can push him and at least make it interesting but I think if the surf is pumping he will be unstoppable.