*** Official Sunset Beach Pro Contest Thread ***

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
if the world title was decided at massive sunset or chopers he would win no problemo...trestles isnt his strongest stop..probably be canola or some bullshit
Why not? How's his air game? That's what Trestles comes down to, right? I personally have always lamented the focus on the air game (maybe because I can't do them), but that's what gets the oohhs and aahhs from the non surfing public and from a lot of the surfing public. The power carve is more a connoisseur's delight IMHO.

Reactions: expotatonator

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Nah, dude with slicked back hair, and lady in a bikini. He's trying to look tough, she's trying to look hot - both too hard.
Everytime I saw that ad I thought "that guy is TRYING to look casual-cool, and he's almost pulling it off, but then I realized all of those are staged shots and not candid at all. Dude was trying SO HARD.
If he really was as cool as he was trying to look, he would be cringing out hard about doing those shots. Embarassing.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Why not? How's his air game? That's what Trestles comes down to, right? I personally have always lamented the focus on the air game (maybe because I can't do them), but that's what gets the oohhs and aahhs from the non surfing public and from a lot of the surfing public. The power carve is more a connoisseur's delight IMHO.
Ethan didnt throw an air and did quite well.

Reactions: Boneroni

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
His air game is world champ level in solid waves..my opinion is that in softer, slower waves his surfing has a horizontal look to it..I would put Yewwing, Canola and Ferrari ahead of him at trestles…

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
He's just not as good as reading small waves.

In heavy water his ability to react and respond intuitively is unparalleled.

Smaller waves he tends to get nervous and over-respond.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
If John was the gold standard his reported contract with Hurley was 12 mil with 3 or 4 years left. So Fil gotta be substantially less. That’s a lot of money but agent and managers commish, taxes, coaches, etc. Some of those NBA players make 10x and still go bankrupt.
Hard to maintain 5 mansions, 10 Ferraris, 5 Yatchs. They go broke more because they're way too ignorant to know better than because life in SoCal is extremely expensive (which it absolutely is). Filipe doesn't strike as an ignorant idiot, he will probably make do.

Last edited:
Reactions: teeroi

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Looks like the rumors I heard about John bouncing after Sunset were wrong or he changed his mind. His IG shows him packing up for Portugal and Oz.

I’m glad as a fan. He always delivers exciting waves during comps.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Looks like the rumors I heard about John bouncing after Sunset were wrong or he changed his mind. His IG shows him packing up for Portugal and Oz.

I’m glad as a fan. He always delivers exciting waves during comps.

It was clear at pipe he wants to win another title.

Like I said all along, rumors of the tour’s demise are highly premature. Particularly on the women‘s side, I’m not sure there has been a better start to the tour in ages.