How many times has your car been robbed while surfing?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Hopefully you get your cash back. I'd be surprised if they could move that much out that quickly . . . Even doing an in person wire transfer with my bank requires a lot of delays and redundancies for fraud prevention.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Hopefully you get your cash back. I'd be surprised if they could move that much out that quickly . . . Even doing an in person wire transfer with my bank requires a lot of delays and redundancies for fraud prevention.
Pretty crazy.

The transfers were piece by piece. A total of 8 transfers.

At the same time they had a pal at the Apple Store in Carlsbad (I'm guessing an employee) trying to load up on thousands in merchandise using my CC number. Hmmm...

Funny thing is Wells has always been overprotective until today. All I had to do one time is say "I can't find my credit card" over the phone and they immediately shut that card down, leaving me stranded.

Further, first thing they did today was change the password on my Wells account. That requires the last 4 digits of my SSN. No idea how they would have done that unless they have a friend at Wells.

Pros for sure. Organized!

Last edited:

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Towels, flipflops, sunglasses, weed, cigarettes even, and that was just off the beach in the days before cellphones even, my cars, well I wouldn't even know I never bothered locking my first truck and was too drunk rolling in sh!t to realize if someone took anything . Current ride, nobody messes with it around here or Hatteras. I'd be a good target though, for about $20 and some beat up fins, change.

I'm the ho-dad that steals your wax.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yet another good reason to get lifelock. They can’t prevent the theft, but they can lock down suspicious credit activity and you’re insured for a million bucks if anything does get stolen

sorry casa that’s awful

Reactions: john4surf and PJ

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
They got me today, first time in over 2 decades.

Buried my keys in the sand today in a downpour at Scripps, nobody in sight. As per usual. Came back and looked like a dog dug a hole in the sand.

Ruh-roh.

Back to the truck, mat was flipped, wallet and celly gone. Doors nicely locked.

Here's the crazy part. Since everything is timestamped I know the sh!t got stolen within 30 mins of being in the water, and within that time frame they had
- broken my iPhone password (they had texted with my wife telling her not to worry about the Wells Fargo fraud alert, that "I" was dealing with it)
- changed the password to+accessed my WellsFargo account (hell I don't even know the password to it because I never access it)
- moved around about $30k of funds within the account
- attempted about $20k worth of purchases of Apple merchandise

The only identifying stuff I had in my wallet was my DL. I don't use Apple Pay or any of that crap.

Pretty fascinating.

Now need to change locks to the house, mailbox.

Truck too I guess.

:shrug:
Holy sh!t. Sorry to hear that. I know I give you a lot of sh!t here but in the end we’re all brothers of the surf. That really sucks.

Thanks for sharing and alerting the rest of us to what’s possible.

PS: this is the reason my family has code words for when texts come through that don’t “feel” right.

Reactions: npsp

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Pretty crazy.

At the same time they had a pal at the Apple Store in Carlsbad (I'm guessing an employee) trying to load up on thousands in merchandise using my CC number. Hmmm...

Funny thing is Wells has always been overprotective until today. All I had to do one time is say "I can't find my credit card" over the phone and they immediately shut that card down, leaving me stranded.

Further, first thing they did today was change the password on my Wells account. That requires the last 4 digits of my SSN. No idea how they would have done that unless they have a friend at Wells.

This is kind of sounding like you were targeted well beforehand.

Someone at WF and/or Apple Store.

There was Craigs List scam regarding rental properties that I was tied up in. Someone was taking pics from real CList ads and making fake ones offering rental units at roughly half market value. Get people to pay first, last, deposit without ever meeting in person or seeing the property. People would show up at our unit ready to move in….

Anyway, after fraud alerting this sh!t to the Craigs list people, literally for years, it turned that it was a CList employee the whole time.

Last edited:

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Yup. that sucks the big one Casa. Sorry to hear it. Hopefully WF is able to claw the money back and make things square.

@r32 that cellebrite device is terrifying.

PS It does indeed seem targeted… if only cuz your old ass truck does not seem like the object of desire for a pro crew.

Pretty crazy.

Camera in the store, time stamp and facial recognition? shoots booty casa I humbly reverntly pray to Saint Anthony and face this gets mo bettah hombre..

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Not their first rodeo nor attempt on you. You’ve likely walked past them in the past 3 months.

Sucks and scary.

it’s been awhile for me. Got my wife 9 years ago. Computer. Wedding ring. Ruined my hunting trip.

Pre cell phone days, would never lock the door. Figured it would save a broken window. Just didn’t keep valuables. Learned from my pops who would leave his corvette unlocked in employee lot at LaGuardia.
Agreed, it sounds like they've been tailing you, watching you.

Scary af.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I'm thinking it's random. Organized crime/theft. Everyone has bank cards. They steal them. They have networks of contacts at banks and in retail. ID theft networks can be pretty broad, lots of people involved. Easy peasy.

So glad I'm not tech savvy, could be a much bigger mess if I was.

Oh well, off to start an exciting day!

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Pretty crazy.

I would consider ditching wells after this. They are a shitty bank known for screwing their customers. My bank is overly protective and it pisses me off but there is no way they would allow this to happen.

As you said they must have an inside guy, I would try and email their CEO ( charles.scharf@wellsfargo.com )
Sometimes it helps with your customer service issue, if it’s a legit one. And this certainly is .

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I would consider ditching wells after this. They are a shitty bank known for screwing their customers. My bank is overly protective and it pisses me off but there is no way they would allow this to happen.

As you said they must have an inside guy, I would try and email their CEO ( charles.scharf@wellsfargo.com )
Sometimes it helps with your customer service issue, if it’s a legit one. And this certainly is .
Bank Of America fraud protection is tight

to borrow from the political forum, sorry this is happening to you bro