Album Surfboards

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I’m sure you’ve mentioned it but can you remind what the difference in dims were for your daily driver vs hps?? thx
No difference in dims actually. The big difference is foil and construction.

My daily driver version (waist high to a foot overhead) is a Varial with more of a flat deck and a rapid drop in rail volume.

My hpsb version is PU with more of your classic domed deck hpsb foil.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
@Goofy_Footed nailed it.

It depends on how you size it. I have one that I use as a daily driver (Varial construction helps this one excel on the lower end). One in standard hpsb dims (PU). And one as a step up (PU). I've found it to be one of those rockers that works in a variety of conditions.
color me intrigued. wondering if this is a situation like the Pyzalien2 rocker which can be scaled up/down and covers a huge range.

Reactions: Leonardo and j_mac

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
color me intrigued. wondering if this is a situation like the Pyzalien2 rocker which can be scaled up/down and covers a huge range.
In my experience, it can.

I haven't ridden a Pyzalien, but I've had the same experience with the HS Untitled. That thing can handle a wide range of conditions.

Reactions: tedshred5

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Thinking of picking up one of the Bom Dia mini guns (7'4). They look super sick, but also hesitant to buy a big wave shape that is not battled tested. Big fan of the beak nose on boards meant for large surf.

I have a 5'10 Bom Dia in dark arts and love it

Reactions: oeste858

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I usually think 8'0 is a threshold for gun v mini-gun. My local is OBSF so lots of big boards being ridden around here
A friend of mine goes to puerto Escondido every year.

He brings a “short board, semi-gun and a gun”.

Dims of boards…

7’6 - 8’6 - 9’6

:socrazy:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Thinking of picking up one of the Bom Dia mini guns (7'4). They look super sick, but also hesitant to buy a big wave shape that is not battled tested. Big fan of the beak nose on boards meant for large surf.

I have a 5'10 Bom Dia in dark arts and love it
BD stap is the roundpin with asym quad placements? Definitely looks interesting

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Guess it depends on where you’re from. In San Diego that would get ridden 1-2 times a year on the biggest of swells
Yea OBSF its partly wave size, partly longshore current. Last week there were a string of days with a super quick outgoing tide. Ended up getting out 6 blocks south of where I paddled out :toilet:

Reactions: silentbutdeadly