*** Official 2023 Community Surf Journal ***

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Little smaller. Way more crowded. Still pretty spread out and easy to get waves. Crowd thinned quickly and I ended up by myself on the same peak as yesterday.

Got a few fun lefts and rights in a row and then a guy on an XTR Tomo paddled down to my peak.

Album vs. Tomo. Varial vs. XTR. Waist-to-chest high slop. A battle for the ages in the ultimate arena.

My tactic of paddling for and missing a crappy insider while he patiently waited for a nice set wave did not pay off. As he glided in behind the peak and smoothly transitioned into a nice dropknee stance, my heart sank. For the first time ever the guy on the Tomo could actually surf.

Thankfully he didnt spray me as I paddled over the shoulder, I dont think my ego could ever have recovered from such a slight. I looked back and saw little spray of note. To be fair it was a runner and he did make a few long sections. The beach crowd did not errupt in cheers as he kicked out so we'll give him a 5.0 at best.

A decent inside double up came to me but it too was a bit of a runner, allowing for just one floater and a late hit over the shallow reef. I laid back into the foam but still managed to bump a rock with my back. Twas but a scratch but it stung with the sunscreen and saltwater intrusion.

Tomo boy had exited the water. Perhaps terrified of further conflict. Or perhaps taking solace in the theft of my precious set wave. We shall never know. After a few more crumbly ones I had to face the fact that the surf had gone to sh!t and all of my friends and enemies had fled.
Where is your vacation?

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Yin and Yang. Yesterday’s perfection was today’s ripple. Paddled around in some knee high nothing burgers for exercise and exercise’s sake only.

Reactions: tacos and Aruka

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Wednesday I picked the wrong spot at mid-morning falling tide and got lots of close outs.

Thursday I went up the beach and it was better but I dodged a couple of barrels and realized my barrel riding is just awful in general - I’m either too early and suck at stalling or too late. Anyways.

Today I surfed awful rights by the pier. I did an ok roundhouse snap on one waist-high wave that stood up well but bogged bringing it back around.

I surged a 2/10 this week out of a possible 5 for me.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Little smaller. Way more crowded. Still pretty spread out and easy to get waves. Crowd thinned quickly and I ended up by myself on the same peak as yesterday.

Got a few fun lefts and rights in a row and then a guy on an XTR Tomo paddled down to my peak.

Album vs. Tomo. Varial vs. XTR. Waist-to-chest high slop. A battle for the ages in the ultimate arena.

My tactic of paddling for and missing a crappy insider while he patiently waited for a nice set wave did not pay off. As he glided in behind the peak and smoothly transitioned into a nice dropknee stance, my heart sank. For the first time ever the guy on the Tomo could actually surf.

Thankfully he didnt spray me as I paddled over the shoulder, I dont think my ego could ever have recovered from such a slight. I looked back and saw little spray of note. To be fair it was a runner and he did make a few long sections. The beach crowd did not errupt in cheers as he kicked out so we'll give him a 5.0 at best.

A decent inside double up came to me but it too was a bit of a runner, allowing for just one floater and a late hit over the shallow reef. I laid back into the foam but still managed to bump a rock with my back. Twas but a scratch but it stung with the sunscreen and saltwater intrusion.

Tomo boy had exited the water. Perhaps terrified of further conflict. Or perhaps taking solace in the theft of my precious set wave. We shall never know. After a few more crumbly ones I had to face the fact that the surf had gone to sh!t and all of my friends and enemies had fled.
Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 5.40.11 am.png

Reactions: Aruka

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
some amazing waves as far as surfing the sprint bpaddlebaord goes....epic weather....the sister even came out ot join me....of course...despite shfuffling....stingray got m!e to make it better....the owman...despite being in the apartment...was averse to helonjg with hot water.....made even more epic by the fact she was against me drinking tequila to help with the pain.......to somehow this all being my fault. WTF. this is what i pay for an epic stupid tiny wave clean epic californai december day.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I went surfing today also :)

Not so good surf, but the pee and poop was great. I did a double dump, at two different spots even!!! And pissed all over my pants in the dark.

Last edited:

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
2 quick sessions this past weekend, wasn’t feeling the crowd.

Saturday: mid beach, waist-shoulder high peaky burgers allowing for my best attempts at a boggy wrap, current was worse than I was guessing. On my walk back to the car I saw someone get a few second barrel on a random little runner on the inside, I considered paddling back out but calculated my odds of that being me and it wasn’t in my favor, went home.

Sunday: watched from up the hill near Cliff House for about 15 minutes, almost talked myself out of surfing but decided I’d drive south down the beach until I found a parking spot I could lazily pull in without parallel parking. Ended up around Rivera and suited up without checking. Even more crowded than Saturday, and looked pretty meager paddling out, but ended up lucking into a few lefts that were just slow enough to cruise/race, but too fast for (me, at least) to really try any turns. Fun clean waves with nice conditions nonetheless.

Going out of town again the week leading up to Christmas, I’m sure it’ll be firing again.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Back to the magic bank on Saturday morning, but it was half as good and even got a bit crowded. Still it was a pleasant morning and the Wolverine did well in pitching, hollow beach break.

Sunday off, then two small point sessions yesterday, both only waist/chest high. Fast runners, and again the Wolverine was excellent. It really has been as versatile as I hoped; only conditions it hasn't liked were large, fat, wobbly lefts.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
little short maintence session this am. More of a paddle than anything else. Heading across the pond in a couple days, fully expect a few bombing swells to come as soon as I leave:roflmao:

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
flat today
yesterday was dying fast, but had 2 decent sessions, mostly mush
but a few fast long ones

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Pretty marginal waves at a different spot. It was just me and a buddy out and the weather was absoutely gorgeous so, no complaints. Kind of a shifty outside take off and then a little bowl running over some shallow reef. Got a few turns on the bomdia and then did some bodysurfing in the shorepound. Im really going to miss being able to swim in the ocean without a wetsuit.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Lots of paddling and diving, little reward, in chopped up onshore crap. Looked like there were some corners out there but they mostly eluded me. Kept trying to force the fs waves, which were probably a little worse.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
First surf in 5 weeks post surgery. Also first surf on the 9'10 Bing. Micro Cardiff during loser hour. Nice to sit and feel the eel grass tickling my feet.

Bing is a trim monster and way more maneuverable than that locally handshaped 9'6 I traded in. I used to think a log was a log was a log. :shameonyou: Basically surfed from the knees down and the board did all the work. Fade the take off, little toe pressure and it slides up into the pocket. One cross step forward and the board hauls ass for a good 20 yard run. Couple cross steps aft and she cuts back into the pocket on a dime.

Amazing the difference a great shaper makes. I'm a novice longboarder, but this thing gives me hope.

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
First surf in 5 weeks post surgery. Also first surf on the 9'10 Bing. Micro Cardiff during loser hour. Nice to sit and feel the eel grass tickling my feet.

Bing is a trim monster and way more maneuverable than that locally handshaped 9'6 I traded in. I used to think a log was a log was a log. :shameonyou: Basically surfed from the knees down and the board did all the work. Fade the take off, little toe pressure and it slides up into the pocket. One cross step forward and the board hauls ass for a good 20 yard run. Couple cross steps aft and she cuts back into the pocket on a dime.

Amazing the difference a great shaper makes. I'm a novice longboarder, but this thing gives me hope.
what binge model

Reactions: bluengreen