***Official Real Estate Thread***

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Interest rates high should create less of a demand. Lowering prices. I have not seen alot of this. If you buy now you are just praying for a interest rate drop and refi. Sure cash is king. I dont have that kind of dosh. Everything around me is a million bux. Right now Im in a condo I dont care for but at 2.9 rate Im feeling stuck
Kids these days. ;)

We bought at rate of 8.25%, or was it 8.375%?

Worse than walking to school uphill, both ways.

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr and ElOgro

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Being way overpriced in the first place?

or one of the 3 Ds: Death, Divorce, Distress
It's been on the market a while. My guess was unpermitted structures and buyers' inability to secure financing. I also wondered about fire insurance. I think my guess was right.They just added this info- "CASH ONLY TAX ROLLS READ VACANT LAND." Our offer would be cash but with the contigency to sell our house.

What could happen in that case? Could the county require you to tear down properties? I'm guessing more than half the properties in Topanga are or have unpermitted structures. Do authorities look the other way? Of course I'm guessing there would be no possibility of securing any insurance of any kind on the unpermitted structures. I'd almost do it anyways, for one acre of land with a home and rental unit, 15 minutes to the ocean... but alas my wife is very risk adverse... and probably wiser than me.

ps in the lottery house category in the same area- this one is cool and very much the style I like-

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I was talking to a multi-family broker this week. He said they haven’t seen prices go down (this is mid-SD County west of The 15), but they aren’t seeing a line of 30 eager buyers waiving contingencies with all-cash offers over asking price- like they were 2020-22. So, marketing times are a bit longer, but they are still selling at high prices. As said above, there just isn’t coastal inventory.
He also said at his firm’s national conference last month, the rest of the nation is seeing prices and demand fall, but his team and SD region were highlighted as one of the few nationally to maintain/grow their numbers from previous year.
The only places I’ve acthally seen come back to earth are not move in ready. Seems the hgtv fixer upper sweat-equity facade has passed.

the ”comps” in my neighborhood paying a $100k lower appraisal still sold for what mine did in 2020 but are not nearly in as good of upkeep (70s neighborhood). The ones I like to think mine is more aligned with are currently selling ~$300k over my tax appraisal.

I often figure asking someone to take a closer look may backfire on one’s face.

Reactions: npsp and oeste858

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
TV Commercial: "We will buy your house, cash. No escrow, no waiting...blah blah"

What's the scam on these? Been seeing a new round of commercials for this kind of scam. They just lowball you and then flip it proper?

Reactions: sdsrfr

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
TV Commercial: "We will buy your house, cash. No escrow, no waiting...blah blah"

What's the scam on these? Been seeing a new round of commercials for this kind of scam. They just lowball you and then flip it proper?
Yes. It’s touched on a page or 2 back and lowballing is their game. They’re wholesalers who collect a finders fee by passing it to a flipper or another investor to bypass the realtor fees. They’ve always been around, but some market more aggressively than others.

Reactions: r32

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
It's been on the market a while. My guess was unpermitted structures and buyers' inability to secure financing. I also wondered about fire insurance. I think my guess was right.They just added this info- "CASH ONLY TAX ROLLS READ VACANT LAND." Our offer would be cash but with the contigency to sell our house.

What could happen in that case? Could the county require you to tear down properties? I'm guessing more than half the properties in Topanga are or have unpermitted structures. Do authorities look the other way? Of course I'm guessing there would be no possibility of securing any insurance of any kind on the unpermitted structures. I'd almost do it anyways, for one acre of land with a home and rental unit, 15 minutes to the ocean... but alas my wife is very risk adverse... and probably wiser than me.

ps in the lottery house category in the same area- this one is cool and very much the style I like-

That's pretty wild. It really depends on the city/county. If completely unpermitted, you should definitely start by talking to a reputable local architect and/or GC who is very experienced dealing with the city permitting process. There are sometimes some tricks to getting an unpermitted addition into the city building records and included in a new assessment- but I've not heard of an entire house slipping in. In addition to the county wanting their property tax on the existing structure, the current building codes have changed a lot in the last 20 years (not sure when the illegal structure was added but would at the bare minimum have to be upgraded to meet code). Worse case, consider the lower price as a teardown/vacant lot, and add the building cost of a new house when you run your numbers.
edit: I believe in some counties the sale will likely trigger a property tax assessor to come out and walk/view the property. So I think the likelihood that you could get away with it, "as is", is somewhat low. But you never know. You may get lucky. Besides, in that area... that price may be worth it for the land alone.

Last edited:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA

I can see liking that aesthetic.

But about flash flood/mud slide risk (if it rains)?

Reactions: hammies

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Looking at contingencies this morning. This one sticks out. Neighborhood is a total dump. Property history in the listing shows photos from February before it was flipped. $400K profit . https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Diego/1416-Burton-St-92111/home/5243555 What is interesting about flips is how they cut corners everywhere - just using the cheapest products available for an updated look so the buyer is always overpaying. My brother recently closed on a flip in Ventura County and I warned him of this but he didn't listen he's been there 6 months now, from the first week he had a water heater disaster, now it's minor stuff breaking on the weekly like drawer tracks, sprinkler heads. I can't bear to tell him it's only the beginning.
my wife thought I was nuts for giving a chit about drawer slides on every home we toured. I told her it’s one of the items flippers more than likely do not address and is a smoking gun when everything else “looks great” on the surface.

Buyer beware of any flipped homes with new exterior paint.

I think it’s nice that sites like Redfin are keeping up the old listing photos so you can really dig at what changed, at least from photos.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
^ - Google earth street view has a time based function too.

Hey look, the tree from the neighbor's yard fell on the roof in 2018. Time to check for for permits to see if it was repaired to code......

Reactions: npsp and sdsrfr

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
That's pretty wild. It really depends on the city/county. If completely unpermitted, you should definitely start by talking to a reputable local architect and/or GC who is very experienced dealing with the city permitting process. There are sometimes some tricks to getting an unpermitted addition into the city building records and included in a new assessment- but I've not heard of an entire house slipping in. In addition to the county wanting their property tax on the existing structure, the current building codes have changed a lot in the last 20 years (not sure when the illegal structure was added but would at the bare minimum have to be upgraded to meet code). Worse case, consider the lower price as a teardown/vacant lot, and add the building cost of a new house when you run your numbers.
edit: I believe in some counties the sale will likely trigger a property tax assessor to come out and walk/view the property. So I think the likelihood that you could get away with it, "as is", is somewhat low. But you never know. You may get lucky. Besides, in that area... that price may be worth it for the land alone.
I'm a licensed electrician and from an electrical standpoint here in NY, Westchester County, there is the concept of "Legalization". You can pay the town a "Legalization Fee", file a "Legalization" electrical permit and have the inspector inspect it. For the last 7 years we've been required to have 4 hours of continuing education to renew our license each year. The class I take is given by an inspector and it's been very interesting to hear things from his perspective. When his company does legalizations they look at the wire and electrical panels, etc. and look for either manufacturer's dates or just the character of the installed wire and devices and the installation itself to try to determine the date of installation and then judge it as close as they can to the code at that time. On new installations, say in an existing structure, they will also let some minor things slide if there was no other practical way to do it and it's a reasonable well thought out compromise.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Anyone in CA ever contest their property tax assessed value?

just opened some junk mail trying to get me to sign on to have them contest on my behalf for 30% of the reimbursement.

Which made me wonder - how hard is contesting this stuff and is it worth it?

some comps in my area were assessed around $100k less than mine bc they sold during the recent market dip.
We did and won. The County was using incorrect numbers to calculate how much we paid for our house. We were able to prove to the judge that we paid less than what the County's assessor was trying to lock us in at for tax purposes. The guys from the Assessor's office were shocked when we told them, fine, let's go to court. The judge looked at how we arranged our purchase contract and determined that we were correct and our tax bill was lowered ~ $500/year.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I wonder what is gonna happen to certain areas of Rolling Hills Estates in the next year? Not in the current slide area but there are lots of potential others in that area.

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
We did and won. The County was using incorrect numbers to calculate how much we paid for our house. We were able to prove to the judge that we paid less than what the County's assessor was trying to lock us in at for tax purposes. The guys from the Assessor's office were shocked when we told them, fine, let's go to court. The judge looked at how we arranged our purchase contract and determined that we were correct and our tax bill was lowered ~ $500/year.
The judge looking at your contract is interesting. When an appraiser is looking at comparable sales the appraiser is supposed to also look for unusual conditions of sale that might skew the sales prices such as sale to a relative (might skew low) higher purchase price but no money down, seller carries a mortgage (might skew high).

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
The judge looking at your contract is interesting. When an appraiser is looking at comparable sales the appraiser is supposed to also look for unusual conditions of sale that might skew the sales prices such as sale to a relative (might skew low) higher purchase price but no money down, seller carries a mortgage (might skew high).
It had to do with how the commissions were handled. We presented the sales contract to the court and explained how the actual purchase price (the basis for the tax assessment) was less than the amount that the County had on it's books. The court agreed and our property tax bill was lowered.

Reactions: PJ

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Anon buyer scooping up tons of land that surrounds Travis AFB. Gov wants to know who and why.

52,000 acres so far
Bought at 5-10x going rate for land in that area

"Where did they get the money where they could pay five to ten times the normal value that others would pay for this farmland?"