***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I decided to put this one on the mid length thread rather than the twinzer thread to promote discussion. Is this a mid length?

6'-5" x 20-1/4" x 2-1/2". I was really happy with the outline (and rocker, foil and rails). I moved the wide point 3" above center. But it is also at center. It is also 2" aft of center. 2 lb EPS. Unlike my others there is no glass under the veneer, not even on the deck. I was trying to see how light I could get it and still be durable. We'll see. E/S hybrid glass (E in the warp to maintain flex, S in the weft for dent resistance). The S fibers are visible going across the board and the laps and deck patches are kind of milky and visible.

4" nose rocker, 2" tail. The photos make it looks like more nose flip. Over 1/4" single concave (more than I previously used), transitioning to vee between the feet ( about 20" up), with double concaves starting in the vee 1/8 deep. Aft of the fins the vee maxes out at 1/4" at swallow tips (so I figure 2-1/4" tail rocker at the tips, 2-1/2" if you calculate the 1/4" single).

I foiled the tail and rails pretty thin this time. Looking forward to riding it.

I sanded the bottom to 1500. Still not glossy but it was enough to make the grain figure pop.

Oh, under 7 lbs

View attachment 157872View attachment 157873

View attachment 157874View attachment 157875
View attachment 157877

View attachment 157878
Beautiful board.

Not a mid-length though.

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
Let’s face it, there are really two type of “mid lengths”

There’s the original idea of them being alternative designs that drew different lines on waves, you know like hulls, eggs, long fish etc. These can be interesting and fun as long as you embrace the lines they are intended to draw and you don’t try and shortboard surf them like Dane Reynolds in that original Stab acid test thingy. Kinda like embracing the fact that a 5’6 twin keel fish ain’t gonna launch air reverses like a 5’8 thruster shortboard.

And then there’s stuff like that Chilli which is essentially a rebranded mini-mal or “chunky” shortboard. It’s mostly a crutch for older or fatter surfers or intermediates who wish they could shortboard and as such will always make the surfing on them look like the poor imitation of good shortboard surfing that they are.
Convince me I’m wrong?
I’m just gonna quote myself from about 20 pages ago.

It’s a big guy shortboard ( or gentleman’s shortboard if you prefer ) It’s what shapers have been making for years for their bro’s that are ageing / middle aged spread (shred?) ing out of shortboard.

It’s not a “midlength” in the original intent of the term but it is what plenty of shapers are calling their old guy shortboards to get on the marketing bandwagon..........

Reactions: chilly1 and jkb

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
To me it looks like the worst iteration of that board. Most of the footage looks like it isn't as flowy through turns as either the regular 2 + 1 or the twin.

Cliff Kapono looked good on it in the promo vid. Agree that it's a good looking board.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
to me this is a proper mid length