Is there an “ LA” look that I should be aware of?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Speaking of LA...the other day, coming back from our weekly hike, we drove down Abbot Kinney Blvd., from Main St to Venice Blvd, nine blocks. I counted 17 Teslas. Counting Teslas has become a hobby for me, like trainspotting or something. Is the Tesla boom a coastal LA thing or is it happening every where?

Reactions: CutnSnip

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Speaking of LA...the other day, coming back from our weekly hike, we drove down Abbot Kinney Blvd., from Main St to Venice Blvd, nine blocks. I counted 17 Teslas. Counting Teslas has become a hobby for me, like trainspotting or something. Is the Tesla boom a coastal LA thing or is it happening every where?
CA government is helping pay for all of them. Another $7500 in addition to the federal $7500

Your tax dollars at work!

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Bitd it was Priuses or Mini Coopers.

Merino wool is the least itchy bro and Pendleton makes some shirts with it. Still family owned company aka an American Heritage corporation and does a decent amount of manufacturing here in the states.
Thats rad you got your dads Pendleton, mine had one that or Woolrich but it didn’t fit.

Last edited:

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
CA government is helping pay for all of them. Another $7500 in addition to the federal $7500

its 2500 from the state and 7500 from the feds. what most people arent getting is that means you' have to owe 9500 in taxes to get the full discount. its a tax credit - not discount up front.

but yes they are fricken everywhere. nothing unique about having a tesla anymore and im finally starting to see some of the older brands EV's around town probs cuz people want to look different at this point.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
You could always take the Joe Rogan approach to men’s casual clothes and only wear T-shirts that have something to do with men fighting, mma, ufc, boxing, muy Thai, etc. That way everyone knows you are totally not

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
its 2500 from the state and 7500 from the feds. what most people arent getting is that means you' have to owe 9500 in taxes to get the full discount. its a tax credit - not discount up front.

but yes they are fricken everywhere. nothing unique about having a tesla anymore and im finally starting to see some of the older brands EV's around town probs cuz people want to look different at this point.
Everybody getting polestars instead now

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
You still collect a tax credit if you overpay taxes but yes it’s paid with your return.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar

Too bad it can't be rigged that those tax credits can only be redeemable for driver's ed and non-entitlement lessons.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

Sounds about right. They're pretty ubiquitous in the Bay, particularly out near me in the Sunset now where everyone is buying up the working class SFH neighborhoods at 1 mil+ a pop so they can live "in the city" but have a yard and a garage to charge their Tesla. Up and down the peninsula, they're one of the most common cars you encounter along with the new Rav4.

As for Pendleton, I think they make a number of pricepoint forward items that are made overseas "with US fabric" and/or they leverage their branding (the southwestern textile thing and plaid shirts) with inferior materials so they can get placement at Costco and other monster retailers. As a rule, if your Pendleton brand item seems cheap, it is probably NOT the heirloom piece you think it is. It's probably one of these.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Tesla is no longer a flex. They’re everywhere like the MachE. Does not help the $35k model 3 kinda looks like the $120k model S at a glance while driving.

seeing a lot of the EV Porsche during my commute, I think those are the new hot hot.

the merc looks stupid. whoever did the design missed the memo of not going full retard on the ev design signaling.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Tesla is no longer a flex. They’re everywhere like the MachE. Does not help the $35k model 3 kinda looks like the $120k model S at a glance while driving.

seeing a lot of the EV Porsche during my commute, I think those are the new hot hot.

the merc looks stupid. whoever did the design missed the memo of not going full retard on the ev design signaling.
problem is anything, let alone something aesthetically pleasing, besides a tesla 3 basically starts at 60k and goes waaay up from there.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Sounds about right. They're pretty ubiquitous in the Bay, particularly out near me in the Sunset now where everyone is buying up the working class SFH neighborhoods at 1 mil+ a pop so they can live "in the city" but have a yard and a garage to charge their Tesla. Up and down the peninsula, they're one of the most common cars you encounter along with the new Rav4.

As for Pendleton, I think they make a number of pricepoint forward items that are made overseas "with US fabric" and/or they leverage their branding (the southwestern textile thing and plaid shirts) with inferior materials so they can get placement at Costco and other monster retailers. As a rule, if your Pendleton brand item seems cheap, it is probably NOT the heirloom piece you think it is. It's probably one of these.
I overestimated Pendleton’s commitment to domestic production, as far as I can tell only blankets. But it’s still family owned and prob employs a decent amount of people in the PNW?

As far as fashion/business goes, smart move by Carhartt to capitalize on their popularity in the streetwear world. So know if you have money to burn there’s what I like to call, fancy Carhartt aka Work In Progress. I bet the cool kids in LA still think it’s utilitarian vibes/high prices are cool

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Hey, is Angelyne still around?

1686322875670.png

in a way, had thought the SF Twins beat her to the punch of "being famous for being famous", and I did happen to see them a few times while I was out and about.

1686323108075.png
1686323170005.png

Last edited:

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
Just saw Angelyne last month at Ralph's in Ventura. She's still driving the pink corvette and looking as trashy as ever. She bought a half dozen dog toys and a bottle of water.

Reactions: Mr Doof

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Someone should make an after market grill/headlight assembly for the Rivian. I bet they'd sell loads. I just can't stomach the front end. Always reminds me of a cartoon bug for some reason.
I drive by the rivian office in nyc on my commute home, employees parking is in front and I always laugh at the cars in the employee lot - tacomas, hondas, mazdas lol...hilarious marketing.