Hawaii- Done

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
kinda shame fo da “buff and blue”
You misspelled "Buff and Blu" - it is clear. You are decisively NOT Punahou School 1841 Buffanblu.

Team name"Buffanblu"

Why does Punahou award the letter "O" for athletic letters?

Because the original name of the school was "Oahu College", which became Punahou School in 1934.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
You misspelled "Buff and Blu" - it is clear. You are decisively NOT Punahou School 1841 Buffanblu.

Why does Punahou award the letter "O" for athletic letters?

Because the original name of the school was "Oahu College", which became Punahou School in 1934.
Fascinating. Truly.

All you really lack at this point is a pith helmet.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Looks great! Definitely resting on your laurels though, if you know what I mean.
Also, you forgot to mention the irony of selling photos for a living, of a place you trash at every possible opportunity.

Hawaii is probably better off without such people, and I say this never having even been, living on an island chain much further behind in community and development.

• Love
Reactions: npsp and racer1

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
a place you trash at every possible opportunity.
I do no such thing. Hawaii is a big part of who I am.

I do tell the truth though, and some people don't like that - at all.

Too bad. Everything I have said about modern Hawaii is true.

My mother lived in Hawaii from 1946 to 1958, eight years on Maui and four years on O'ahu and she said after Duke Kahanamoku died, Hawaii was done.

The Ambassador of Aloha was gone.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
if you aren't doing your best to "fix a problem"
then any "outside observations" are worthless
goes for anywhere and anything
the world is full of "complainers"
we need more "fixers"
and I have faith in what I am seeing in the younger generation like Racer's and those following him

that's the difference about the soul of this place
ohana, lokahi, pono
working together as family (blood related or not) to do the right thing
many are trying
but not as many that want to find an easier path and run away

I ran away in the 70's thinking I was better than this place
only to return almost 20 years later with my tail between my legs to realize I was wrong
This place is more important than I ever could be

If you don't fight for something that you love
then you will lose it
that's what the ohana and kupuna teaches you here

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
I do no such thing. Hawaii is a big part of who I am.

I do tell the truth though, and some people don't like that - at all.

Too bad. Everything I have said about modern Hawaii is true.

My mother lived in Hawaii from 1946 to 1958, eight years on Maui and four years on O'ahu and she said after Duke Kahanamoku died, Hawaii was done.

The Ambassador of Aloha was gone.
Sure comes off that way.

If anyone casually put together your posts in this thread alone, it would come off as bagging on Hawaii.

Good thing there's the guys who actually live there to put anyone not knowing of Hawaii straight about the islands.

P.S. not trying to pick a bone with you, I respect that you have put in the time to become who you are, and admire anyone capable of making a living from their art/passions. It's just that, as I already stated, it does come off that way to someone who's never been, IE: myself.

There are constructive ways to broach the subjects you mention, you just seem to not choose that perspective, from where I'm sitting... for what that's worth, probably nothing.

Cheers. :cheers:

Reactions: npsp

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
no doubt this place like many others has allot of problems
but until my dying day, which may not too far in the future
I will always try and live a life of aloha and kindness to others
no matter how much its hurts or how much I am taken advantage off

at least I'll know in my heart that I tried what little I could to still keep aloha alive in this place while I was here.
granted it's not easy anymore but you don't have to do much to bring a smile
on the way home from Austin there was a young boy sitting next to me maybe a high school sophomore?
never been to Hawaii before and was so excited to be going
his parents had their honeymoon there and were going back to celebrate their 25th anniversary bringing their kids this time.
they were from a small town between texas and oklahoma
I had this palaka hat from Aloha Army that said "Aloha" on the front
I gave it to the boy and told him it would help him fit in, make him seem local to the kamaaina
before I got off i gave him the two Hawaiian Airlines Plumeria Lounge passes I had that I didn't use and told him that his family could use them on their way back to Texas.

As my business travel partner and I were waiting for our bags so we could go home and get some real rest. This stranger walks up to me and grabs my hand thanking me profusely for the little gesture I did for his son. He didn't know I had bought hats in Texas to take the place of the one I gave away. I ended up being shamed into having to take a selfie with the entire family before I could go. I guess where they were from people don't do things like that.

Sometimes that's all it takes, to make a difference, just be kind to a stranger
PPK taught me that on Kauai

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

at least I'll know in my heart that I tried what little I could to still keep aloha alive in this place while I was here.
on the way home from Austin there was a young boy sitting next to me maybe a high school sophomore?
his parents had their honeymoon there and were going back to celebrate their 25th anniversary bringing their kids this time.
I gave it to the boy and told him it would help him fit in, make him seem local to the kamaaina
before I got off i gave him the two Hawaiian Airlines Plumeria Lounge passes I had that I didn't use and told him that his family could use them on their way back to Texas.

As my business travel partner and I were waiting for our bags so we could go home and get some real rest. This stranger walks up to me and grabs my hand thanking me profusely for the little gesture I did for his son. He didn't know I had bought hats in Texas to take the place of the one I gave away. I ended up being shamed into having to take a selfie with the entire family before I could go. I guess where they were from people don't do things like that.

That’s beautiful, man. No doubt you made that kid’s day.
Raising my little girls (under 6) and constantly trying to help them learn how to treat other people, behave, and share. One day, I got frustrated because they were fighting over a toy or something trivial, and I sorta blurted out “Just be kind to each other! The most important thing is to be kind to others. If you can do that, people will be kind to you”. It’s easy for them to understand. Everyone likes when other people are kind to them and they remember it. since then, I find myself talking about kindness whenever they forget. And I truly believe it is the most important thing they can learn right now too. If my kids grow up to be kind, and do nice things for others, I’ll be pretty damn happy.

I’ve also noticed lately how often friends, family, and other parents do kind things for my kids, unprompted or go above and beyond. Makes me feel like we’ve surrounded ourselves with the right people. that’s my ohana, eh?
Aloha!

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Around eight years ago my wife and I were in the islands and in kind of a tough situation for about half a year. The locals were welcoming and supportive. I don't remember any negative situations at all. It was some haoles who fucked us over good. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: racer1 and teeroi

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii

It really doesn't take much.

My last day at Waco in April and I'm between sessions. Earlier in the day I met a couple from Texas who had their little 9 month old with them. We talked about being new parents and all the ups and downs. Later in the day, I had to check out but still had two session later. So I'm basically living in a cabana by the hotel. They're in the cabana next to me and the dad is gearing up to surf. I asked him what he's going to ride and what fins whatever. But the dad is holding the baby and he says mom has a session first and then he has a session after. I realize that they have overlapping sessions so I offer to hold the baby for the 10-15 minutes when their sessions overlap so they don't have to waste time. They were like no really you don't have to. I said I'm going to take a 10min nap then I got him, his name is Auggie. I take a quick nap (I can only nap 10 minutes since my son was born). Wake up and the mom is half way through her session, I wave to dad and he's like yup. Hands me Auggie and starts to get ready. Me and Auggie walk around the pool and I show him mom ridding waves. He waves to her in the pool. He then took a massive sh!t. I walk back to change him and dad is about to paddle out, dad says don't change him, his wife will do it and I"m doing more than enough. I change him any way cause it's nothing to me. Mom comes in and I tell her to take her time. She takes a shower and changes and take Auggie. They were both so stocked. They said they don't live near family and don't have much help, I told them that I have all my family around me and tons of help so I wanted to pay it forward. They were so so grateful and we're friends on Instagram now and going to go together to Waco next summer. They live near Austin.

I'm not sharing this to sound cool, but to show just how little it takes to share some aloha. Watched Auggie for probably 18 minutes and changed a diaper while I had nothing else to do. Yeah I could have just scrolled on my phone and zoned out, but now I have friends for life!

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Randoms paddle out on huge days from Magic Island. I yell at them to go in they’re going to die and probably take one of us with them, while trying to help, when things go south.

Do I get a thank you, or Instagram friends for life. Nope. Just a bewildered look that turns to fear when a pole set rolls in.

Aloha comes in many forms. Haha.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
It really doesn't take much.

My last day at Waco in April and I'm between sessions. Earlier in the day I met a couple from Texas who had their little 9 month old with them. We talked about being new parents and all the ups and downs. Later in the day, I had to check out but still had two session later. So I'm basically living in a cabana by the hotel. They're in the cabana next to me and the dad is gearing up to surf. I asked him what he's going to ride and what fins whatever. But the dad is holding the baby and he says mom has a session first and then he has a session after. I realize that they have overlapping sessions so I offer to hold the baby for the 10-15 minutes when their sessions overlap so they don't have to waste time. They were like no really you don't have to. I said I'm going to take a 10min nap then I got him, his name is Auggie. I take a quick nap (I can only nap 10 minutes since my son was born). Wake up and the mom is half way through her session, I wave to dad and he's like yup. Hands me Auggie and starts to get ready. Me and Auggie walk around the pool and I show him mom ridding waves. He waves to her in the pool. He then took a massive sh!t. I walk back to change him and dad is about to paddle out, dad says don't change him, his wife will do it and I"m doing more than enough. I change him any way cause it's nothing to me. Mom comes in and I tell her to take her time. She takes a shower and changes and take Auggie. They were both so stocked. They said they don't live near family and don't have much help, I told them that I have all my family around me and tons of help so I wanted to pay it forward. They were so so grateful and we're friends on Instagram now and going to go together to Waco next summer. They live near Austin.

I'm not sharing this to sound cool, but to show just how little it takes to share some aloha. Watched Auggie for probably 18 minutes and changed a diaper while I had nothing else to do. Yeah I could have just scrolled on my phone and zoned out, but now I have friends for life!
You should tell him to post here. :dancing:

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Being that this might have been my last mainland business trip before I finally retire and being raised and taught by my elders to always bring omiyage when i visit anywhere, i took up 2 dozen boxes of costco mac nut chocolate and as much maui jewel fruit/wine candies to give away. I also had 20 orchid leis shipped directly to the hotel from Lyn's which was a chore being it's graduation time. We packaged everything up in reusable hawaiian shopping bags and gave them to all the execs and support staff of the company sponsoring the event as well as various people I had personally worked with over the years. The leis made their recipients beam with pride among the 1000 or so conference attendees.
It's little things like that, that can leave an everlasting positive mark with strangers that make people appreciate having "hawaiian" business acquaintances. Maybe a little overboard but this being a last time for me, I figured why not as those coming to these conferences after me may not have the same "aloha at heart" open pocketbook
All those from Hawaii will understand, that's how we were raised.

20+ years ago when I was younger and healthier making compsands and other wood stuff from the scraps, I used to make these koa and wiliwili letter openers. The wiliwili was from a tree that used to stand proudly in front of iolani palace but taken down because of the beetle infestation. I used to give them to the heads of all the companies that either came to visit us or we went out to visit them. Till this day many still email me every now and telling me what a prize possession it is to them and how their children and grand children now ask them about it. They tell them that the crazy person from hawaii gave it to them as a gift for no apparent reason other than being nice.
But its just pure aloha at its core
don't take much, so just do it.
Many here still do

313466_106199726156160_446660387_n.jpg

390215_144301959012603_100002984003958_176223_100403104_n.jpg

P1010615.JPG

Last edited:

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Yesterday wasn’t a huge day but a little overhead. A couple paddles out on rented logs. Booties, bright rash guards, milky white skin. They paddle past the boys sitting outside. Stu who is a retired HFD captain looks at me. I tell him don’t. Darwin. He laughs cause his whole career has been breaking Darwin’s law. He just tells me you’re mean.

Kawika another firefighter who works at Honolulu International Airport. So he must be a state fireman. He paddles up and calmly tells them they’re out of their league and points them to where they should try to surf. Do they thank him and go to Rockpiles or in between where the surf schools are. Nope. They take a set on the head and go over the falls at low tide with a 9 foot log.

We politely wait to see if they pop up then start laughing. Nah. We were cracking up right away. Kawika shrugs and says I tried to tell them.