Hawaii- Done

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
V. true.

everyone not making money off them.
1684966288126.jpeg
Velzy was the master in many ways. If you ever run in to Henry Ford ask him about the day he went to open the shop and the doors were chained and locked by the IRS.

I read the McTavish book a while back. JFC they were in paradise broker than a joke and fully committed. Sleeping in/under their cars outside of the factory. Empty points for testing. Stowaway to Hawaii in the transition of the log to “performance” style surfing. Eventually deported. Zero cost round trip. Now that’s style. At the end of the the book he talks about getting hassled on the south shore in his old age…

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
This is how I behave everywhere I travel. You should try it.
Actually, I have done a fair amount of international travel - I don't have any problems, anywhere.

surfEXPLORE on the Azylo platform

Ask the locals at any of these locations in Africa, Asia, Europe and the Americas.

Haitians are far poorer in material terms than people in Hawaii and are definitely not US citizens - they are treated completely differently than Cubans when they do arrive in the US, but desperately poor voodoo-worshipping nominally Catholic rural Haitians are some of the kindest, most generous people we have ever met.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Interesting comments - I assume all the people making these comments are actual Hawaii residents.

Local News
That's not good. The frustration is palpable in those comments.

Every single comment saying basically the same thing - wages far too low and Hawaii far too expensive.

I think it's important to listen - none of the commenters seem unreasonable.

There are tons of travel contacts for HI in my biz, and it's always the same story - the pay sucks + COL too high - so if it's unaffordable for HCWs it's unaffordable for most.

"Mahalo for leaving" - ouch! - historically that attitude is never a good sign.

That sort of passive aggressiveness ALWAYS pops up when some people flee a bad economic situation, religious situation, or violence and political unrest while others stay. And sadly, the sort of flippancy almost always a sign that things are going to stay the same or just get worse.

Screen Shot 2023-05-25 at 6.00.10 AM.png

The other factor here - let's be honest - is millenial and younger attitudes towards work, and entry-level work especially. Not all, but many.

If you're involved in any sort of hiring and 90-day process with candidates that are <35 y/o you see this all the time. Many think they're above entry-level work these days (you're always being told on instagram how "fire" your are, so DUH!) and the idea of policies like seniority are unacceptable to them.

Reason being - they don't plan to stick around anywhere and some industries are in a labor shortage so they can just go elsewhere (they don't end up satisfied there either and just move on again...). Of course the hiring company ends up losing big time due to hiring costs (which aren't going away).

Couple this with the fact living with your parents at age 30 is now becoming normal there's always the idea of that safety net. Fewer young people than ever really need to work, because all they need is Wifi and $10/day for food.

The hiring bonus is the new thing and it's being used liberally to keep people around - you stay we pay. One local hospital offering $20K for RNs. Heard about $20K for a surgical tech in HI (nuts!) but RN hiring bonuses not nearly that high - plenty of travelers to pull from...equals lower quality care for HI residents.

Last edited:
Reactions: PRCD

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
if you aren't doing your best to "fix a problem"
then any "outside observations" are worthless
goes for anywhere and anything
the world is full of "complainers"
we need more "fixers"
and I have faith in what I am seeing in the younger generation like Racer's and those following him

that's the difference about the soul of this place
ohana, lokahi, pono
working together as family (blood related or not) to do the right thing
many are trying
but not as many that want to find an easier path and run away

I ran away in the 70's thinking I was better than this place
only to return almost 20 years later with my tail between my legs to realize I was wrong
This place is more important than I ever could be

If you don't fight for something that you love
then you will lose it
that's what the ohana and kupuna teaches you here
Here’s something for you
With aloha.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I noticed in 2021 the last time we were in Napili (just up the street from Kahana) the sand level was about 3-4 feet lower than it was just 4 or 5 years prior. I don't think it's so much sea level rise as it is sand going away.