Hawaii- Done

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
They were given job training and lifetime employment by the plantations with free housing and subsidised food...
Paid so poorly, and for back-breaking work, that they couldn't even afford food or a roof over their heads. How is that better than working for even minimum wage in the hospitality industry today?

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hawaii's real problem is - tens of thousands of plantation workers were once brought to Hawaii to provide manual labour on agricultural plantations, mainly sugar and pineapple. This kind of work was done by slaves elsewhere, but slavery wasn't an option in Hawaii.

They were given job training and lifetime employment by the plantations with free housing and subsidised food, the arrangement was they would show up to work for the next 50 odd years and then they could retire in peace or return to their homeland in China, Japan, The Philippines, Korea or Vietnam. Many hundreds of thousands of people were imported to Hawaii to serve in this system, over many decades.

The problem is - few of them did return to their homelands upon retirement or closing of the plantations and now; the many descendants do not have the plantation for job training, lifetime employment, housing, food and beverages.

Land in Hawaii became too valuable to grow sugar or pineapple competitively with low cost producers in The Philippines (pineapple) and India and Brasil (sugar cane) yet the descendants of the plantation workers are still there - with nowhere to go and nothing to do.

Instead, they have a competitive job environment in the United States of America where they lack the education and skills to compete for the few good jobs available in Hawaii that are not state or federal jobs.

They will never be able to make enough money at minimum-wage jobs to afford to buy a home in Hawaii nor raise and educate their children - hence another cycle of career welfare recipients, full-time criminal desperados and hardcore drug dealers and users, who other than moving to Las Vegas; see no alternative to making money in a competitive job market where they have no relevant education or vocational credentials.

As long as Hawaii is part of the United States, megarich US citizens like Mark Zuckerberg, Jeff Bezos and Oprah Winfrey will have every right and incentive to buy property in Hawaii, accentuating the already huge gap between the rich newcomers and the poor locals and with Hawaii being a group of islands in the vast, empty expanse of the north Pacific Ocean with extremely limited land and natural resources - the problem is only going to get worse.
People who don't live in Hawaii absolutely LOVE to tell people in Hawaii what the problem is.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
we're starting to cutback on initiatives and staff to reduce expenses as we expect revenue to fall soon
Counties and the state will see the same in loss of tax revenue although travel is expected to remain high during the summer vacation season
the value of most financial stocks went down by 20%-30% after the Silicon Valley debacle which had no meaning here yet we were all affected. I saw it in my stock portfolio which was $80-$90 then dropped to $40-$60 after SVB. Things have stabilized but it'll take time to get back to those numbers if maybe never. Hawaiian Air's having technical issues which is impacting it's rep with those nimble cheapskate haole consumers but i will always fly them out of loyalty to a local company. Small long time local businesses and restaurants are shutting down monthly because of inflation, rent and lack of cheap labor
Rates will remain flat if not a bit above until AFTER there's a consistent obvious move in inflation, but consumer spending is keeping it afloat even though it doesn't make sense to do so. With higher rates and more restricted lending its becoming more of a buyers market than the heavy seller's market it's been for the past 5 years. but there's still a heavy outside investment market gobbling up assets so many LLCs just check the DBET listing of businesses to see them all. All for property acquisition from outsiders and local investment huis.
UHERO predicts we may do better than the rest of the 48 especially if Japan visitors comes back to pre-pandemic which it hasn't yet.
My advice is if you can afford to buy just buy because unless it's like another japan investment induced real estate collapse prices will continue to rise. There's just too much outside "investment money" looking for a home. And why wouldn't they but knowing prices will continue to rise. It now costs twice as much to buy a home here than it did just a decade ago if you want some perspective on appreciation. But with appreciation comes higher property taxes which other than mortgages and daily expenses is forcing the retired kupuna out of house and home. If you're looking, I hate to say it but that's who your "victim" is.

Like allot of other places we're becoming a two class society. The have and have nots with no middle class. That's not a good sign.
We need to do more for young families especially those will extended relations and long connections to this aina. If and when we lose that ohana "glue" that connects us, we will lose what separates us from the rest of "hoale-ville" A bunch of "residents" with no cultural ties to "place"

And no matter what, what ever sacrifice you have to make, never leave because no matter how hard it is now it will only get worse for you to ever return. Don't give up on Hawaii, we are all that it has to save it. We have been marketed brainwashed to believe what we need to be happy. Just being here should be all we need not the all these accruturements we have been brainwashed we need to be "successful".

But then again I'm an old fart who doesn't need much to be happy.

Best of luck and best wishes to all

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
People who don't live in Hawaii absolutely LOVE to tell people in Hawaii what the problem is.
This reminds me of a joke about how some parents find themselves totally at a loss about what is going on (usually what is going 'wrong') with their kid and are at wit's end.

The joke being the answer: "Just ask one of your friends what is wrong with your kid(s). They'll tell you everything;, how they got there, what can happen if things go from bad to worse, and all the possible solutions to fix your kid."

For this 'joke' to have legs, the friend usually has to find some fault with the parenting.....

• Haha
Reactions: racer1

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
People who don't live in Hawaii anymore, but did for more than 30 years, attended Punahou School 1841 Buff and Blu brah and know a lot about it absolutely LOVE to tell people in Hawaii what the problem is.
There - fixed it for you

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I wrote what I wrote cause I knew you would reply with the however many years you used to live here.

Allows me to reply that the 2nd group of people who most LOVE to share (unsolicited) what's wrong with Hawaii is those who lived here and moved away.

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I wrote what I wrote cause I knew you would reply with the however many years you used to live here.

Allows me to reply that the 2nd group of people who most LOVE to share (unsolicited) what's wrong with Hawaii is those who lived here and moved away.
He’s consistent.

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
I included the part you omitted below, so the paragraph can be read as a whole:

They will never be able to make enough money at minimum-wage jobs to afford to buy a home in Hawaii nor raise and educate their children- hence another cycle of career welfare recipients, full-time criminal desperados and hardcore drug dealers and users..."

Hawaii is group of islands with
- a poor education system
- limited economic opportunities, comparatively speaking, due to the size of the islands, geographic isolation, preservation of natural resources, and hospitality/service industry being a main economic driver
- the high demand for island real estate in the setting of limited opportunity for development due to natural resource preservation and overcrowding makes housing unaffordable
- that these factors may be a contributor to some or most of the above "career welfare recipients, drug dealers, etc"

Do you disagree with the above?

Similar scenarios play out in so many places - not just Hawaii.
Thank You - I am not one of The Casa's biggest fans, but you are spot-on correct here.

It's a mentality, not an ethnicity problem - the ethnicity the people involved is irrelevant.

Look at the Facebook profiles of the many people arrested in Hawaii for violent crimes, usually involving drugs and/or guns - these are not only uneducated people, but people who come from cultural backgrounds where education is not valued.

They have literally no chance to succeed financially in a competitive society like the United States of America, hobbled by a minimal and poor Hawaii public school education and more often than not, a vicious drug addiction that drives their decent into criminal activities to make money and feed their addictions.

The Plantation gave refuge from all of these pressures and expectations - just show up for work every day and you got a free house, subsidised food, free job training, and your kids went to free public schools paid for by the territorial government.

Now Hawaii has hundreds of thousands of descendants of imported foreign plantation workers, many of whom have no place to go and nothing to do, as the plantations are gone forever.

Fortunately, like Puerto Ricans, they have US passports and can legally move to the mainland where jobs are plentiful and living costs much lower.

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008

I have valid credentials - not afraid to brandish them.

With sister at Kalapana, Big Island of Hawaii, 1971. Photo by Mom

Big Island 1971.jpg

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
It’s okay to say you miss Hawaii. We won’t judge you here. This is a safe space.

Come back home. You know it’s home. I’ll give you a hug with eye contact.

• Wow
Reactions: grapedrink

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
It’s okay to say you miss Hawaii. We won’t judge you here. This is a safe space.

Come back home. You know it’s home. I’ll give you a hug with eye contact.
I'll need a free house, a salary of at least USD $150k annually and a lifetime exemption from Hawaii State income tax, then I would consider the offer - but thanks anyway :)

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
This reminds me of a joke about how some parents find themselves totally at a loss about what is going on (usually what is going 'wrong') with their kid and are at wit's end.

The joke being the answer: "Just ask one of your friends what is wrong with your kid(s). They'll tell you everything;, how they got there, what can happen if things go from bad to worse, and all the possible solutions to fix your kid."

For this 'joke' to have legs, the friend usually has to find some fault with the parenting.....
Or the friends have no kids

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
I'll need a free house, a salary of at least USD $150k annually and a lifetime exemption from Hawaii State income tax, then I would consider the offer - but thanks anyway :)
You’re like the only Punahou grad who can’t make Hawaii work financially

you misspelled the word “descent”

kinda shame fo da “buff and blue”

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
A friend of mine is on the board at a start up Hub here in Honolulu (top 20 accelerator in the US). He said the Punahou alumnus sentiment among tech business leaders is: No entrepreneurs, no innovation, no business savy and no internet hustle. Still living off old family money and business connects, but take them out of those old family connections and nothing. Ideas are weak and execution flops.

Reactions: youcantbeserious