Different strains....

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
mephisto has a handy “growing our seeds for dummies” section. They really don’t talk much about light, except in the sense of ”if you’re in the northern hemisphere, plant them on the south side, don’t put them on the shady side of your house dummy” and they warn about occasionally pulling them into the shade during true heat waves, letting the soil dry out to about an inch of depth, then water again.

They do have some good points and tricks for pest management and mold prevention so I will be mindful of that for sure, So I guess they like to be watered and have damp soil more often than not, bit not overloaded…more watering than tomatoes, but less often than those ornamentals and annuals that need to be watered every sunny day in the summer

im curious how they feel about the salt content in the wind here on a very windy barrier island. Most plants and gardens here seem to thrive. Most homes on LB do not have lawns, so lots of thought and attention often goes into the little front gardens most people have including ours. And generally, they all look healthy and happy, so, if some fragile petunias or whatever can thrive down here on the beach, the cannabis should have no issues with salty breezes. I mean, it’s not like the wave spray is literally hitting the side of my house. But the ocean is 400 yards south, and the bay 500 yards north so any breeze is a salty sea breeze. That’s why everyone has to use vinyl siding, even the richies.

Stocked. Just planted 2 more last night that had sprouted. Of the remaining 4, 2 might yet still sprout, the other 2 look dead. I may have my final head count by Sunday afternoon

not bad I guess, starting with 12 seeds and having (hopefully) 10 of them sprout and go in a pot
Salt air?
IMG_5748.jpeg
My wife washed the screens two days ago. Run your finger along this, puro sal.
IMG_5749.jpeg
This is of unknown origin and is in the least salt influenced part of the property where the bugs won’t eat it overnight. Hope springs eternal.

If I could get anything to grow it would be avocados but nyet on that.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
And just like that, not even 36 hours, and I have a pioneer (unless of course it’s a weed that was already in the sack of fancy soil)
View attachment 154122
That's a "WeeD" alright .... but for gawds sakes DO NOT pull it!

:roflmao:

Here's my 3 this morning.....

20230514_084331.jpg

With labels....

20230514_084342.jpg

20230514_084356.jpg

20230514_084409.jpg

20230514_084425.jpg

20230514_084433.jpg

7 liter pots, bit of gravel covering the bottom holes and plastic pots for water retention. I tried those cloth pots on year, they don't last an entire season here... bugs eat them as soon as the moisture gets into them. Buried them half way through the grow, only bits of the handles were left in September.

It's crazy weather on this island, Sahara Desert only 45 miles east of us.

:socrazy:

:waving::shaka:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I forgot to label my seedlings. Maybe they will match the photos on the website or maybe I will name them myself

“derail kush”
“Anal playah”
“OG Mental Health” (now entering its 4th year on the market)
“UBB’s Choice” (each quarter comes with a branded trucker hat)
“The never ending strain”
“Subways Ego” (this is a strong breed, potent and spicy, though not for everyone)
Etc etc

• Haha
Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
'Humboldt Seed Company'...classic, know those guys, they know what they're doing. Meanwhile, as to naming strains, years ago my then son-in-law got some clones from a friend that lived in a trailer park. Beautiful buds but he didn't know the strain name so he just called it 'Trailer Park'.....haha, then it was 'we gotta have the 'Trailer Park' man...

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
'Humboldt Seed Company'...classic, know those guys, they know what they're doing. Meanwhile, as to naming strains, years ago my then son-in-law got some clones from a friend that lived in a trailer park. Beautiful buds but he didn't know the strain name so he just called it 'Trailer Park'.....haha, then it was 'we gotta have the 'Trailer Park' man...
I used to come up the hill some back in the 90's when I lived in The City. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if we knew some mutual folks. As a matter of fact, just got news from a friend in Oakland who gave me the bad news about Pam, the Blueberry bud queen. Heard she's struggling with health issues. That woman taught me a thing or two about organic cannabis cultivation. Prayers going out to her.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

The HSC is a free seed. The local High Times like magazine in Spain, Cañamo, has been trying to stay alive with free seed giveaways. Anytime I see anything normally sold online at 10-15 bucks a seed, I snatch up as many 4.20 euro per magazine as I can. Figure they're not going to put bad seed into marketing packets for their brands, because what sense would getting a crappy plant from a seed giveaway make for the breeder except for giving them a bad name. So far, so good... every one has sprouted, and all at a considerable discount on retail seed prices.

:monkey::monkey::monkey:

Reactions: Aquaman2 and Icu812

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Will there really ever be a better (fictional) strain name than “MILF”’?

what’s her name in that show, I don’t know. I would break some pretty sacred principles were I given the chance. She just had that thing about her. The MILF to top all MILFS. And then one of her her sons named his kick ass strain after her. I love all of it.

HBO and Showtime et Al have been showing graphic sex for decades. But that scene where she seduces (from plain boredom and lack of sex) that helpless and married bartender in some po-dunk stop over- her sexual energy jumps through the screen like a force of nature. Her mischievous sexual energy is lit af (at least back when that show was a hit) years later I still get all worked up

Mary Louise Parker?

smithgrind

Nep status
Dec 25, 2009
PNW
Will there really ever be a better (fictional) strain name than “MILF”’?

what’s her name in that show, I don’t know. I would break some pretty sacred principles were I given the chance. She just had that thing about her. The MILF to top all MILFS. And then one of her her sons named his kick ass strain after her. I love all of it.

HBO and Showtime et Al have been showing graphic sex for decades. But that scene where she seduces (from plain boredom and lack of sex) that helpless and married bartender in some po-dunk stop over- her sexual energy jumps through the screen like a force of nature. Her mischievous sexual energy is lit af (at least back when that show was a hit) years later I still get

Mary Louise Parker?
Yes, MLP

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
She’s my Marilyn or Raquel. For realz. I need to rewatch the series now thanks subway

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Water ph is kind of important too
Yes, I use cheap test strips and look for 6.6 -7 depending on the plant and its features. If test strips are good enough for an aquarium they are good enough for your plants, PH up is usually added a .1ml per gallon of nutes and water. And yeah, enjoy your first grow...you're gonna learn a lot.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
So far I still only have that one sprout showing. I’m sure it is the one that had the (by far) bigger tap root when i planted them. But now I’m worried I may smothered/smushed/suffocated the others.

but they all had sprouted little taps When I put them all one knuckle deep and lightly filled in the little hole. And then a good drink of water. They’re probably still just growing and making their way to the surface right? RIGHT?

my concern is that after planting and watering is that maybe the little germinated seeds got TOO buried; especially after the first watering. But plant life is hardy and hopefully reaching for the warm sunny surface as I type this.

however, the first four (I have 10 total now) went into the pots only a few days ago. So I’m hoping that the early sprout was in fact the one that already had a thick nearly inch long tap root while the others had smaller taps and would logically take a few more days to actually “pop” out of the soil. I need to see more sprouts over the next several days or I am ordering more seeds

• Haha
Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
So far I still only have that one sprout showing. I’m sure it is the one that had the (by far) bigger tap root when i planted them. But now I’m worried I may smothered/smushed/suffocated the others.

but they all had sprouted little taps When I put them all one knuckle deep and lightly filled in the little hole. And then a good drink of water. They’re probably still just growing and making their way to the surface right? RIGHT?

my concern is that after planting and watering is that maybe the little germinated seeds got TOO buried; especially after the first watering. But plant life is hardy and hopefully reaching for the warm sunny surface as I type this.

however, the first four (I have 10 total now) went into the pots only a few days ago. So I’m hoping that the early sprout was in fact the one that already had a thick nearly inch long tap root while the others had smaller taps and would logically take a few more days to actually “pop” out of the soil. I need to see more sprouts over the next several days or I am ordering more seeds
the only plants that normally don't germinate once put into soil,
are those that the farmer keeps checking to see if they are growing or not.

leave the soil be for at least a full moon cycle. they will come. keep it moist!

Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Roger Roger. the first 4 germinated seeds only went in the soil on Thursday. The rest on sat and sun. I’m clearly not the most patient of farmers.
Thank you for your kindly veteran-grower reassurance.

In brighter news (no pun intended unless you’re in to that sort of thing) my line of 10 pots do in fact align perfectly with the sun’s traverse, even factoring in the changes pre and post solstice in 5 weeks. They will get tons of sun from here until mid august. Even then I might just need to shift them a little bit to adjust for full day sun. Auto flower will likely be ready for harvest before that even happens though.

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Salt air?
View attachment 154117
My wife washed the screens two days ago. Run your finger along this, puro sal.
View attachment 154118
This is of unknown origin and is in the least salt influenced part of the property where the bugs won’t eat it overnight. Hope springs eternal.

If I could get anything to grow it would be avocados but nyet on that.
Would a tightly built greenhouse with some kind of air filtration system help with growing pakas or avocados? Or would the salt air and insects destroy it too quickly anyway?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I have 3 sprouts now, between last night and when I got back from the city around 6:30. the LineOfGreen begins

I know this is child’s play to you west coast (and canary) hobby growers but for a born and raised “law breaking” New York cannabis enthusiast, first legal grow has gravitas

here is my line of green. You can see i have just a few feet (but it’s plenty) to keep these plants in the sun for basically the full day, minus maybe the first 2 hours of sun and the last hour or so before it sets. That house on the left is the south side obvi but believe it or not the summer sun passes directly above this little alley between houses for a full day sun.
IMG_0257.jpeg

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Reactions: Subway

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
That's a "WeeD" alright .... but for gawds sakes DO NOT pull it!

:roflmao:

Here's my 3 this morning.....

View attachment 154147

:waving::shaka:
How do you have outdoor plants flowering so early in the season? My guess is these are indoor plants after you forced them to flower, and you just took them outside for a bit of fresh air and real sunshine?

I now have a puddle of dark green oil in a glass baking pan, which I extracted from about 3 oz of my previous crop using alcohol. It took about 4 days to evaporate the alcohol. It's ready to put in the oven tomorrow to cook at 230F for 20 minutes to decarboxylate it. Then I will store it in syringes.

Last edited: