*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Good call to check, and that still leaves the Reno flight and Tahoe-assault idea intact, assuming the Tahoe mountains will keep spinning lifts and taking my money into late April and early May
Not that we need any more tourists and I will hate myself for even suggesting this but Bachelor runs to Memorial day. The rideable acreage shrinks considerably after Easter and the afternoon hours are reduced in May due to afternoon temps making it too warm to keep the runs in decent shape, but it's super fun riding in May and then there's a ton of other fun sh!t to do in the afternoons. Last May was non stop pow days but usually it's warm corn epicness off the Summit. The airport is 30 min from town and the resort is another 30 so you'd need a car but there are some surprisingly nice flights from places like Denver direct into Redmond. If you did decide to do this I can suggest some good spots to stay and would be happy to show you around. All that said, we have had a great, consistent season with endless pow days and a deep base but it's not the record setting chaos going on in the Sierra and Wasatch.

Reactions: Subway

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Can confirm. They learn from the best and then take it to the next level.
I am in deep, deep sh!t. :oops:

Bunch of kooks sitting down right in front of the liftline entrance, practically blocking everything. I see my son hauling ass straight towards them. He is still learning to control his speed so I am kind of cringing a little bit at the potential collision. No, he turns last second and sprays a whole group on the way into the liftline. Not huge but they got a dusting. He couldn't stop laughing the whole way through the liftline: "I sprayed 4 of them that time, Dad!".

So it begins. But it is of course also up to me to advise him on technique on maximizing spray.

Just wait until he figures out to stack snow on skis/snowboards to use for snowballs from the lift. :roflmao:

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Not that we need any more tourists and I will hate myself for even suggesting this but Bachelor runs to Memorial day. The rideable acreage shrinks considerably after Easter and the afternoon hours are reduced in May due to afternoon temps making it too warm to keep the runs in decent shape, but it's super fun riding in May and then there's a ton of other fun sh!t to do in the afternoons. Last May was non stop pow days but usually it's warm corn epicness off the Summit. The airport is 30 min from town and the resort is another 30 so you'd need a car but there are some surprisingly nice flights from places like Denver direct into Redmond. If you did decide to do this I can suggest some good spots to stay and would be happy to show you around. All that said, we have had a great, consistent season with endless pow days and a deep base but it's not the record setting chaos going on in the Sierra and Wasatch.
Are you Gerry?

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Taos next week. So wicked stocked. Cant remember the last time I left town, let alone when I last took a vacation. Adv purchase on lift tix (>72hrs) = hundo per dia and lodging the last week they’re open was discounted to the point where I’m shacking up slopeside. Wish it was the Blake but I’m not @Subway.

Because danger is my business, if it’s warm enough/the snow gets soft I will be exploring the legendary steeps there.

1680055618346.jpeg

Last edited:

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
Wife made me go to big bear today
It’s raining with 40 mph winds
Looks like just a fun 6 hr drive

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
big bear this Wednesday
last chance to break a leg this season for me
Wife made me go to big bear today
It’s raining with 40 mph winds
Looks like just a fun 6 hr drive
We r makin a u turn and going home
she was bitchy as hell the whole drive home too

The one that cracks me up is Northstar after going for the first time in my life this season as had Epic Pass. Proper surgical strike so negotiated the crowds OK but how can they try to market that place as a destination resort? Terrain-wise, it is a low-tier SoCal mountain; kind of like the Linda Mar/County Line of skiing/snowboarding.
We call it 'Flatstar'

Last edited:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
This is what staggers me. I don't consider myself experienced in the backcountry whatsoever but EVEN SO.

Why not divert enough so that you don't traverse across an obviously sketchy spot?
And if you are navigating a sketchy spot, why wouldn't you cross one at a time?

Maybe they at least have steak in their pockets to help the rescue dogs find their bodies faster?

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Record.jpg

Mammoth, wow, records falling everywhere.
Main Lodge will go over 700" no doubt.
Careful what you wish for.
It'll be interesting to see how the Owens Valley handles all of it when it starts melting in a month.

Reactions: npsp and Driftcoast