*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Does he have a burning man name? I heard all the cool kids at burning man use different names on the playa bro.

Thanks. I was thinking specifically about Lake Powell. Not much chance of three years of the same conditions with no outflow to get it to a reasonable elevation. If it ever does get back to a reasonable level I can’t recommend a two week trip there enough. Three weeks would be better. Best non surf trip I’ve ever made. Great for kids. @Kento would jizz himself over the geology.

Snow looks good in pictures so thanks for them. It’s 85 with slack wind here at 6:25 pm.

Reactions: Kento and Subway

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
SLC is really unmatched for its proximity to so many great resorts. But lately I hear the traffic getting up the canyons keeps getting worse and worse with iKon. Almost have to commit to one mountain and pony up and stay slope side at this point to dodge the traffic.
IKON has completely ruined Crystal here in Washington. People are fleeing to other resorts because it’s such a sh!t show. Fk IKON, Alterra, Vail, etc.

Reactions: Pico and Kento

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Ifn ya got
SLC is really unmatched for its proximity to so many great resorts. But lately I hear the traffic getting up the canyons keeps getting worse and worse with iKon. Almost have to commit to one mountain and pony up and stay slope side at this point to dodge the traffic.
ca
ifn ya got a choice go for the dry sugar trflon of Utah vs the heavy wet sticky of Callie. Its a no brainer.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Thanks. I was thinking specifically about Lake Powell. Not much chance of three years of the same conditions with no outflow to get it to a reasonable elevation. If it ever does get back to a reasonable level I can’t recommend a two week trip there enough. Three weeks would be better. Best non surf trip I’ve ever made. Great for kids. @Kento would jizz himself over the geology.

Snow looks good in pictures so thanks for them. It’s 85 with slack wind here at 6:25 pm.
Then you might be able to make sense of this? I couldn’t.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
IKON has completely ruined Crystal here in Washington. People are fleeing to other resorts because it’s such a sh!t show. Fk IKON, Alterra, Vail, etc.
fuck vail

just did 6 days on my little local non-ikon hill here in CO. two of those days were bluebird. freshies in the sun with my kids. so good.

Last edited:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Ifn ya got

ca

ifn ya got a choice go for the dry sugar trflon of Utah vs the heavy wet sticky of Callie. Its a no brainer.
I love mammoth and riding in the sierras but always questioned anyone who got on a plane to come here as a destination unless it’s for late spring skiing when almost everything else that isn’t glacial is closed.

Reactions: Subway

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I love mammoth and riding in the sierras but always questioned anyone who got on a plane to come here as a destination unless it’s for late spring skiing when almost everything else that isn’t glacial is closed.
Mammoth is at least a good mountain. Likewise with Squaw so I understand people traveling out there, especially from midwest/east coast.

The one that cracks me up is Northstar after going for the first time in my life this season as had Epic Pass. Proper surgical strike so negotiated the crowds OK but how can they try to market that place as a destination resort? Terrain-wise, it is a low-tier SoCal mountain; kind of like the Linda Mar/County Line of skiing/snowboarding.

That's why I've always loved mountains like Kirkwood - it's all about the terrain. Which makes the recent FOB/kook influx even more curious. Pretty much have to dawn patrol for weekend parking now. BUT most of the people coming up are beginner/intermediates with no hope of progression so a lot of the good sh!t stays untracked for longer because the more advanced lifts are empty. Interesting quandary.

BTW, sounding like upcoming years, we are going to be fleeced on parking fees. Starting on weekends/holidays but it'll naturally extend to every day. Once corporations get a toehold of greed in, they bring the whole body in. Too bad we can't decapitate corporations with 4-5 figure percentage tax increases when they get too big for their britches. Lift ticket prices have definitely outpaced inflation.

Reactions: $kully

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Then you might be able to make sense of this? I couldn’t.
I can’t either. I was there in 1969 and went from the dam all the way past Hite Marina up until the Colorado River, the full length, with no problem. Looking at historical elevation data from then to now confuses me.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
ay and yer a trig cove, @Kento so i know i don't need to remind you of this but....

you do know that they are going to grow up and pay you back with interest, right?

:roflmao:
Pay me back?!

They filled my boots to the top with snow while I was trying to help them with their gear and then when changing, threw an arsenal of snowballs at me - the little shits!

1679946353450.png

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
It's crazy how much snow there is. I wonder if it will linger year round or close enough to it. Can't imagine Tioga Pass opening at all this year.

Oh and with all that snowmelt, man, mosquitos are gonna be rough this summer. :oops:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
It's crazy how much snow there is. I wonder if it will linger year round or close enough to it. Can't imagine Tioga Pass opening at all this year.

Oh and with all that snowmelt, man, mosquitos are gonna be rough this summer. :oops:
Ebbetts Pass
Sonora Pass
Tioga Pass

Probably going to be closed until beginning of July.

Tioga Pass - Historical Seasonal Opening and Closing Dates

Reactions: Kento