*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Forecast be looking good for next week(warm) and Friday here might even be a legit pow day.

NGL getting nervous about the trip bc danger is my business and I heard a longgg time ago about how steep Taos is. Like that’s kinda fucked that they let the ahoy polloi ride this bro.

Hopefully gonna document some of my extreme exploits with the goonpro. Tried one day here and the extreme cold had killed the battery. I wish I had at least tried to keep it warmer. At the very least pics etc to rival an @Subway trip and with the soft snow I want to try and ride some fairly inconsequential steep af sh!t before I can’t and I ain’t getting any younger b

Having gone so fast on the pow gun that I wished I had something to drag somehow to slow me down/trail brake with I’m more stocked than ever I pulled the trigger on this bad boy. Say hello to my little friend
D245AC75-D7A5-45EF-BE63-386456FAF4C8.jpeg

XV convinced me a long time ago about the utility of them in legit terrain and I’ve been dying to try it out ever since. Pro tip = for your main riding axe go with hammer option not adze, less pointy.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I’ve got a black cashmere coat full of Nano gummies and and a full hybrid cart in my handmade navy blue Irish sweater.

no sport coat. Had I known I was going I would have worn my Legends-seats-only sporty shown here
4FFADBD1-55DE-4B48-8571-082878D869BD.jpeg

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Between this and the wavepool thread, your shitlord status is high, Subway. :roflmao:
Plenty of time for someone to chuck a beer at him bro

Time to start doing recon for Taos. Trail maps are dank and you can learn a lot about a mtn by studying themD3F6F2F0-4DC4-4D02-8A76-26D4AEC330AA.jpeg

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Plenty of time for someone to chuck a beer at him bro

Time to start doing recon for Taos. Trail maps are dank and you can learn a lot about a mtn by studying themView attachment 151343
Hope you get a sh!t-ton of snow.

Trail maps are dank. I like sh!t like the above, where, if I'm reading this correctly, the top of the resort is a long ridge with bootpack or cat track and you can ride a lift up, hike till it looks powdery, then go.

Aside from there being zero new snow in a week, another reason I'd never go back to Big Sky. There's a massive tram slap-full of people going straight to Lone Peak. IMHO no hike-to + name-brand resort = tracked 20 minutes after first chair.

Red dots are slackcountry gates?

Reactions: Chocki

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
HOLYMUTHAFCUKINSHIT! I didn't even realize it but I was holding my breath until he got air. Similar thing happened to my Brother at Mammoth back in the day, decades ago . He got dug out but was unconscious. Blue. Thing is the more he tried to push himself up the more he sank. I remember as a kid getting stuck in one just walking and playing. Eventually I was able to grind out of it. However if the snow had been deeper like today I may not have been.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
HOLYMUTHAFCUKINSHIT! I didn't even realize it but I was holding my breath until he got air. Similar thing happened to my Brother at Mammoth back in the day, decades ago . He got dug out but was unconscious. Blue. Thing is the more he tried to push himself up the more he sank. I remember as a kid getting stuck in one just walking and playing. Eventually I was able to grind out of it. However if the snow had been deeper like today I may not have been.
Yeah that was some seriously intense viewing. Dude is soooooooo lucky that the skier with the GoPro literally ran over his board. Had he cut right or left instead of splitting those trees he never would have noticed him.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Yeah that was some seriously intense viewing. Dude is soooooooo lucky that the skier with the GoPro literally ran over his board. Had he cut right or left instead of splitting those trees he never would have noticed him.
At first I thought it was his buddy but his buddy was a skier in a red jacket and that guy was a boarder with a green one. WOW!!!! How lucky was he that this guy skied over him??!

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Have to ask. How are people getting caught in tree wells in the first place? I've winged and/or collided with more than a few trees and such while boarding to be sure but knock on wood I guess not ever entered my mind until started making the news.

Is it because people are falling above the tree and then flipping into the tree well or just sinking into it as they're buzzing the tree?

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Soooo lucky. My heart is still pounding from watching. I literally yelled clear his airway at the screen at one point. Another good reason to have a shovel. Mines the Mammut Pro Hoe lol

Hope you get a sh!t-ton of snow.

Trail maps are dank. I like sh!t like the above, where, if I'm reading this correctly, the top of the resort is a long ridge with bootpack or cat track and you can ride a lift up, hike till it looks powdery, then go.

Aside from there being zero new snow in a week, another reason I'd never go back to Big Sky. There's a massive tram slap-full of people going straight to Lone Peak. IMHO no hike-to + name-brand resort = tracked 20 minutes after first chair.

Red dots are slackcountry gates?
thanks bro
I tried to upload huger Rez versions twice and assumed the same about the red dots but they are actually the avalanche control gates for the ridge line. Hike to terrain on the ridge is L to R, Kachina when its open but the lift ain’t running (wind or bc it preserve the pow), Highline and West Basin

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Have to ask. How are people getting caught in tree wells in the first place? I've winged and/or collided with more than a few trees and such while boarding to be sure but knock on wood I guess not ever entered my mind until started making the news.

Is it because people are falling above the tree and then flipping into the tree well or just sinking into it as they're buzzing the tree?
My Brother knew of a jump and caught some air and landed in one.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

I fell into mine headfirst and assume the rider in the vid did the same. The one time I encountered one here was cuz I was going slow and it kinda sucked me in but it was small and shallow. The fact that we are at the “Alpine treeline” is why the trees grew why they did and they’re not prevalent but some dude did die here in one.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009

My only close call was in the trees off of Chair 12 at mammoth. I was riding solo in not very challenging terrain and had my guard down. Caught an edge on an off camber turn and went over the bars right next to what looked like a small sappling. I put my hands out in front of me and my right arm which was closer to the sapling penetrated the snow which felt bottomless and the snow around it and the sapling started collapsing down significantly. Thankfully my left arm had most of my weight on it and I didn’t go in. But I was really close to going headfirst into the hole.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
My only close call was in the trees off of Chair 12 at mammoth. I was riding solo in not very challenging terrain and had my guard down. Caught an edge on an off camber turn and went over the bars right next to what looked like a small sappling. I put my hands out in front of me and my right arm which was closer to the sapling penetrated the snow which felt bottomless and the snow around it and the sapling started collapsing down significantly. Thankfully my left arm had most of my weight on it and I didn’t go in. But I was really close to going headfirst into the hole.
I was on chair 12 today and dragging the back of my ski in the snow going up the chairlift.

• Wow
Reactions: $kully and Chocki