*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
View attachment 151282

Mammoth, wow, records falling everywhere.
Main Lodge will go over 700" no doubt.
Careful what you wish for.
It'll be interesting to see how the Owens Valley handles all of it when it starts melting in a month.
Owens Lake is coming back. Look for the Slater Wave Pool soon.

And when money dries up for Slater's Desert Oasis, LA can suck it dry again for their green lawns. Feels like a win already.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
This is what staggers me. I don't consider myself experienced in the backcountry whatsoever but EVEN SO.

Why not divert enough so that you don't traverse across an obviously sketchy spot?
And if you are navigating a sketchy spot, why wouldn't you cross one at a time?

Maybe they at least have steak in their pockets to help the rescue dogs find their bodies faster?
“In the mtns there are few victims while many volunteers“ Brian from NZ

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
View attachment 151282

Mammoth, wow, records falling everywhere.
Main Lodge will go over 700" no doubt.
Careful what you wish for.
It'll be interesting to see how the Owens Valley handles all of it when it starts melting in a month.
LADWP must be $hitting themselves.
They have invested $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in a dust mitigation program over the last several years. It involves pumping and spraying briny water over the exposed lake surface. The idea is to create a "non-friable" crust that coats the silty top layer that gets turned into the airborne dust when the wind blows (which is everyday out there...).
That whole program is going to dissolve away as the valley floods.
It's pretty cool to see these ancient dry lakes coming to life. It will be short lived but awesome to witness none the less.

Reactions: crustBrother

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Another map of Tulare Lake. What is different now is that the land has subsided >15' in some areas due to over-drafting the aquifers that were created by millions of years of flooding. Drain the biggest lake in the west for farming and houses. Then suck up all the ground water. What could go wrong.....Tulare Lake_1878.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: r32

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
It comes back every time we get a big deluge year.

Somewhere I saw a picture of one of those billboard trucks slamming Newsom for creating an artificial drought, the billboard was half submerged.

Reactions: crustBrother

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
It comes back every time we get a big deluge year.

Somewhere I saw a picture of one of those billboard trucks slamming Newsom for creating an artificial drought, the billboard was half submerged.
But we will be in a drought again, probably within another 2-3 years at most. After all, drought is a political problem not an environmental one.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
But we will be in a drought again, probably within another 2-3 years at most. After all, drought is a political problem not an environmental one.
We are still in a drought. Yes our reservoirs are going to fill up and we have an epic snow pack. But, it will take millions of winters like this to recharge our aquifers. Surface water storage is the proverbial drop in the bucket when compared to groundwater storage capacity.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
You literally rejoice every time someone else’s ill fortune is laid at my feet, be those feet 3000 miles away and utterly blameless

unless you are a Brujo and truly believe I telepathically sow poor fortune for others, as fast or faster than I sow good fortune upon myself, then I don’t know what to tell you. Mexico has you now :waving:
373A0277-600D-4BC8-9E5C-00BF46F44516.gif

• Haha
Reactions: sushipop

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
You literally rejoice every time someone else’s ill fortune is laid at my feet, be those feet 3000 miles away and utterly blameless

unless you are a Brujo and truly believe I telepathically sow poor fortune for others, as fast or faster than I sow good fortune upon myself, then I don’t know what to tell you. Mexico has you now :waving:
View attachment 151310
I don’t think rejoice is the right word. Try cringe.

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
[QUOTE="SteveT, post: 3773493, member: 11.
It'll be interesting to see how the LADWP handles all of it when it starts melting in a month.
[/QUOTE]

fixed