XTR

Sep 4, 2019
I just got my first XTR in a few days ago! It is a Lost Rocket Redux in the XTR 10 with heavy glass (for us big boys :LOL:). It feels really good under arm and feels similar to my Lost PU boards. Order to delivery was 3.5 months. Just wanted to give an update for build times for the Lost boards. Thank you again to everyone who helped with info for the order. RR.jpg

Oct 30, 2019
bought a used @MrSteve 6'2 varial-disorder - surfed for about a year. loved it ...

1677795206181.png

felt it was a touch too big for the small waves I ride. can sort of see that in this turn above - can't whip it around. that being said - it turned fantastic for a 6'2. felt like a 5'10. so I became a believer in the shape .... sold it - swearing to get a replacement from varial .

regretted the sale.

tried to buy back from the guy but he loved it and wouldn't sell back to me.

ordered replacement album disorder from XTR. the first result is in the picture.

1677794905253.png

supposed to be a quad setup on one side and twin on the other. there were other issues with this version but they were not as obvious.

emailed shey @ XTR and he agreed this fin issue was a problem. sent board back ( very easy via fedex ) then got a redone version a couple months later.

the 2nd version passed the eyeball test and felt good under arm.

surfed it twice now and the smaller/narrower 6'0 x 19 1/4 x 2 1/2 is definitely more maneuverable than the @MrSteve version .... I think that was 6'2 x 20 x 2 5/8 ...

so: re XTR
* good customer service
* more durable than varial
* XTR10 seems good - maybe a little corky ... would like heavier glass
* shape seems mostly faithful to the disorder design ....would like to check fin placement - but not easy to do - no other disorders around here
* board surfs well - has some funky issues that can be worked around by technique ... but with the right wave, it's a banger.

Last edited:

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
So if you were going
bought a used @MrSteve 6'2 varial-disorder - surfed for about a year. loved it ...

View attachment 149456

felt it was a touch too big for the small waves I ride. can sort of see that in this turn above - can't whip it around. that being said - it turned fantastic for a 6'2. felt like a 5'10. so I became a believer in the shape .... sold it - swearing to get a replacement from varial .

regretted the sale.

ordered replacement album disorder from XTR. the first result is in the picture.

View attachment 149455

supposed to be a quad setup on one side and twin on the other. there were other issues with this version but they were not as obvious.

emailed shey @ XTR and he agreed this fin issue was a problem. sent board back ( very easy via fedex ) then got a redone version a couple months later.

surfed it twice now and the smaller/narrower 6'0 x 19 1/4 x 2 1/2 is definitely more maneuverable than the @MrSteve version .... I think that was 6'2 x 20 x 2 5/8 ...

* good customer service
* shape seems mostly faithful to the disorder design ....would like to check fin placement - but not easy to do - no other disorders around here
* board surfs well - has some funky issues that can be worked around by technique ... but with the right wave, it's a banger.
So for the next one would you order Varial or XTR? Cost not being considered.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California

View attachment 149456

regretted the sale.

View attachment 149455

* good customer service
Wow! How does XTR screw that up? Glad they made it right though.

I too have a disorder. Absolutely love it. Just put an order in for 3 more.

YOLO!

Oct 30, 2019
disorder is a boar with great potential. I really enjoy surfing it.

re: xtr vs varial - I would go varial if cost were no issue. but then again, if cost were no issue, I may get 10 different XTRs and figure which I like most.

I say that b/c XTR has a flex scale ( they have a 1 to 10 scale ) on top of which you have a glassing schedule .

my ideal would be the inertia of a PU + the pop/flex of a stringer less (probably epoxy) board. the closest I've felt to that is from varial ( with heavier glass ).

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
...I say that b/c XTR has a flex scale ( they have a 1 to 10 scale ) on top of which you have a glassing schedule .
Don't put too much credence in XTR's flex scale. They messed up (rails ahead of the fins looked like a five year old hit them with a Surform before it was glassed) on a Pyzel of mine and the replacement which was supposed to be an exact duplicate, had a flex scale rating that was two numbers different.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Maybe I missed it but what’s the deets on the 3 pack of disorders?
Haven't shared yet so BREAKING NEWS!! :monkey:

My poly infused Varial developed a crack all the way across the bottom under my front foot so I figured a buckle or break was imminent. That along with an upcoming trip to Bali inspired me to order a Disorder 3 pack. I wanted to go stringered XTR on the two smaller boards but Matt told me XTR only does stock models, not custom variations of those models. So I just decided to go stringered PU on everything hoping the stinger helps prevent breakage at my spot. These are all pointy nosed Disorders:

5'7 x 18.88 x 2.25 - traditional hpsb domed deck foil. My first one had the Album flat deck /full rail foil which grew on me
5'11 x 18.88 x 2.25 - domed deck foil with a slightly pulled in tail
6'4 x 19.13 x 2.38 - domed deck foil with pulled in asym baby swallow

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Haven't shared yet so BREAKING NEWS!! :monkey:

My poly infused Varial developed a crack all the way across the bottom under my front foot so I figured a buckle or break was imminent. That along with an upcoming trip to Bali inspired me to order a Disorder 3 pack. I wanted to go stringered XTR on the two smaller boards but Matt told me XTR only does stock models, not custom variations of those models. So I just decided to go stringered PU on everything hoping the stinger helps prevent breakage at my spot. These are all pointy nosed Disorders:

5'7 x 18.88 x 2.25 - traditional hpsb domed deck foil. My first one had the Album flat deck /full rail foil which grew on me
5'11 x 18.88 x 2.25 - domed deck foil with a slightly pulled in tail
6'4 x 19.13 x 2.38 - domed deck foil with pulled in asym baby swallow
Wow. I thought you went Full Burch a couple years ago . How did the album compare to them? Guess you must’ve liked it… or close enough and you just needed quicker turnaround time.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Wow. I thought you went Full Burch a couple years ago . How did the album compare to them? Guess you must’ve liked it… or close enough and you just needed quicker turnaround time.
I own 2 Burch boards. While they both absolutely rip, the rockers are more specific to better waves with some punch. I never really had a problem riding the Burchs' in a various conditions (within reason) but when I hopped on the Album, it became apparent that the Disorder rocker was much more versatile.

The Disorder can handle larger, smaller, flat-faced, punchy.........whatever I throw at it. I'm a big fan of versatile rockers because there can be a lot of mixed short and long period swell around here with conditions changing hour to hour.

I'm sure I would have kept going down the Burch rabbit hole if he hadn't quit taking orders for 2 years (and counting).