XTR

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Haven't shared yet so BREAKING NEWS!! :monkey:

My poly infused Varial developed a crack all the way across the bottom under my front foot so I figured a buckle or break was imminent. That along with an upcoming trip to Bali inspired me to order a Disorder 3 pack. I wanted to go stringered XTR on the two smaller boards but Matt told me XTR only does stock models, not custom variations of those models. So I just decided to go stringered PU on everything hoping the stinger helps prevent breakage at my spot. These are all pointy nosed Disorders:

5'7 x 18.88 x 2.25 - traditional hpsb domed deck foil. My first one had the Album flat deck /full rail foil which grew on me
5'11 x 18.88 x 2.25 - domed deck foil with a slightly pulled in tail
6'4 x 19.13 x 2.38 - domed deck foil with pulled in asym baby swallow
Dang... you really go "all in" when you find something you like. I think I need to do this once in my life - a 3 pack YOLO! :jamon:

• Love
Reactions: jkb

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
haha. I thought about my Tomo obsession as I was typing. The statement is a little ironic. But I've never YOLO'd 3 brand new boards like that - mine are spread out. I think at least once in my life i wanna pull a "JKB".
yeah I've never done a 3-pack yolo before either, that's the dream. well done @jkb

Reactions: jkb and ReForest
Oct 30, 2019
@jkb re: disorder rails ... I requested foiled rails .... that was the 2nd issue with the original board - rails were super bloated. lesser issue than the fin placement. example fin placement on 3 different disorders (5'10 currently used on album website, 6'2 mr. Steve, my 6'0 from XTR). they are all a little different - also not the difference in tail shape. none the same.

1677870178628.png

• Wow
Reactions: ReForest and JDJ

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I've never had a disorder, but i have noticed the tails being more curvy on some than others. I figured it was probably just Matt refining his outlines over time. I notice it on other models also from him. Than sometimes they look different in the same shot :shrug:.

1677878038799.png

Reactions: ChaseTMP

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
@jkb re: disorder rails ... I requested foiled rails .... that was the 2nd issue with the original board - rails were super bloated. lesser issue than the fin placement. example fin placement on 3 different disorders (5'10 currently used on album website, 6'2 mr. Steve, my 6'0 from XTR). they are all a little different - also not the difference in tail shape. none the same.

View attachment 149526
so there is some disorder in the fin placements and tail shapes?

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California

View attachment 149526
Yeah, rails were quite full on my first one. I was pretty worried about it when it first arrived. However, after riding it for a while, I became quite fond of it and really couldn't put my finger on any downsides from a performance perspective in smaller waves. As the waves got bigger and faster, it would want to sit on top of the water more and be harder to sink through turns. . Wouldn't hesitate to get another board with that foil if I was doing a light construction like Varial or XTR. I wanted a more traditional hp foil for my PU.

I'm guessing the fin placements move forward as the boards get longer.

Reactions: urchined

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
haha. I thought about my Tomo obsession as I was typing. The statement is a little ironic. But I've never YOLO'd 3 brand new boards like that - mine are spread out. I think at least once in my life i wanna pull a "JKB".
3-pack is the only way to go my man.

You get a small wave board, a hpsb, and a step-up all at once.

While the shaper is shaping them, he's able to reference all the other boards so they work in conjunction with one another.

At least that's how I justify it to myself.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
3-pack is the only way to go my man.

You get a small wave board, a hpsb, and a step-up all at once.

While the shaper is shaping them, he's able to reference all the other boards so they work in conjunction with one another.

At least that's how I justify it to myself.
That's the exact explanation im going to give my wife. I'll report back on how she took it!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: MathDebater and jkb

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo

View attachment 149526

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
sh!t! The 3 pack conversation did not go well. The wife said she's going to cut my boards into pieces.

As much as I wish I could just tell my wife I'm ordering 3 boards and that's that, it's not the way it works for me (and most likely a good number of us).

After A LOT of negotiation (and a little bit of begging), I'm selling 2 boards to get the 3-pack.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
you guys are crazy that you tell your wife about buying surfboards. I keep all my boards in bags and sell used ones so the new ones just go in an empty bag, as far as she knows I have had the same 4 boards for the past decade.
yep- healthy flow in and out new and used alike keeps the racks look the same.

don’t have to ask for permission but there are some rules of engagement.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
you guys are crazy that you tell your wife about buying surfboards. I keep all my boards in bags and sell used ones so the new ones just go in an empty bag, as far as she knows I have had the same 4 boards for the past decade.

same.

only time wife notices a new board is if it's a wild color
that's why I've been ordering clear varials recently - they all look the same!

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
same.

only time wife notices a new board is if it's a wild color
that's why I've been ordering clear varials recently - they all look the same!
View attachment 149581

i’ve had to add off-site storage in two locations. LOL. Wife knows I’ve got a lot and laughs about it but really doesn’t know the actual number of boars.

I’ve never asked before buying a boar. The 3-pack I could understand tho. Curious what is the dollar amount of a purchase for yourself that you guys feel you would need to discuss with your wife/partner/boss first?

Last edited: