*** Official South Bay Thread ***

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Chatted on the phone with Brian and told him I was headed his way next Wednesday evening (Sept 7th) for Hap Jacob's Paddleout at the Hermosa Pier on Thursday (Sept 8th) and was hoping to see him as I return to Kaua'i in the early AM on the 9th. Just a quick 24 hours in the South Bay.
Brian carries on with his cancer treatments, has lost his hair, yet continues the fight. I told him "we can go as ebony & ivory" to the paddleout, which got a chuckle out of him.
McStott's is a good guy!!

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I went for a surf yesterday. Looking back at the beach it was wall to wall easy ups and tents as far as the eye could see. I've never seen it like that before. Crazy.

Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 2.43.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 2.40.27 PM.png

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~

Hopped on a flight to LAX on a Wednesday afternoon from Kauai. Went to the Hap Jacobs paddle out at the Hermosa Pier on Thursday. Saw a lot of old friends and later went to the Dive and Surf Shop in Redondo for a Meet & Greet with some good food hosted by Bill and Bob Meistrell of BodyGlove. Back to LAX Friday at 0530 & jumped on a Hawaiian Airlines flight back to Kauai at 0900 hrs. A good time was had by all.

Brian couldn't make the paddle out as He wasn't feeling too well. I'll catch up with him next trip across the pond.

Last edited:

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Who's the guy on your right?
Ilima Kalama, a previous winner from the early days of the Huntington Beach Surfing Championships, 1962. Abalone diver during the summer time and Ski Patrol member at Mammoth Mountain in the 1960's. There's a story of Ilima's boat going down in the Channel Islands while trying to surf / dive there. Ilima's Son David, has been / was the sailboard, tow-in partner with Laird Hamilton and Derrick Dohnner and now foil surfing out of Maui and Tavarua. Ilima's Dad, first brought the Hawaiian canoe's to Newport Beach, started up a canoe club with other start-up clubs later. Long time ocean related Family. My brother Joe and Ilima were room mates in Newport on 17th Ave near Market Basket in the early / mid 1960's.

Reactions: tacos

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
Ilima Kalama, a previous winner from the early days of the Huntington Beach Surfing Championships, 1962. Abalone diver during the summer time and Ski Patrol member at Mammoth Mountain in the 1960's. There's a story of Ilima's boat going down in the Channel Islands while trying to surf / dive there. Ilima's Son David, has been / was the sailboard, tow-in partner with Laird Hamilton and Derrick Dohnner and now foil surfing out of Maui and Tavarua. Ilima's Dad, first brought the Hawaiian canoe's to Newport Beach, started up a canoe club with other start-up clubs later. Long time ocean related Family. My brother Joe and Ilima were room mates in Newport on 17th Ave near Market Basket in the early / mid 1960's.

Dude, you really need to write a book!

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Went to Orange County for an errand today and drove home along the coast.

I took the coast on the way home. LIght traffic, no rush, no stress. I drove around the Palos Verdes Peninsula. The south side, with Catalina in the distance and the sun on the channel, and the north side, with the LA Basin, smog swept away by the winds....it was f...kin beautiful. Sometimes you forget.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~

I took the coast on the way home. LIght traffic, no rush, no stress. I drove around the Palos Verdes Peninsula. The south side, with Catalina in the distance and the sun on the channel, and the north side, with the LA Basin, smog swept away by the winds....it was f...kin beautiful. Sometimes you forget.
Marineland
The Dominator
The Glass Church
;)

Reactions: One-Off

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC

I did the exact thing in reverse on Thursday.
Went to a funeral in Manhattan, and the drive home to Costa Mesa was estimated to be and hour and a half (to go 36 miles!).
I said "F" that! Took Sepulveda to PCH, through Hollywood Riviera, then PV Dr. West and around to Pedro. Vincent Thomas Bridge and then PCH to Superior.
Took the same amount of time, but got to see the water most of the drive. Totally worth it.

PS My parents got married at the Glass Chapel.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
I did the exact thing in reverse on Thursday.
Went to a funeral in Manhattan, and the drive home to Costa Mesa was estimated to be and hour and a half (to go 36 miles!).
I said "F" that! Took Sepulveda to PCH, through Hollywood Riviera, then PV Dr. West and around to Pedro. Vincent Thomas Bridge and then PCH to Superior.
Took the same amount of time, but got to see the water most of the drive. Totally worth it.

PS My parents got married at the Glass Chapel.
So did Dewey & Carol Weber ~