***Official Real Estate Thread***

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I lived in a couple of garages during my single years.
My brother and I lived in 1/2 of our garage for about 4 yrs before I got to move into the family room when I hit 14.

Out grew the bed and chipped in about $100 to help pay for a sofa bed upgrade (this ticked off dear old dad, me chipping in $ was viewed as saying, 'You're not a good provider.') Also, the family room had a sliding glass door, made it real easy to sneak out quietly.

Last edited:

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
My hood made national news. Some scheisse about to go down-

:foreheadslap::foreheadslap::foreheadslap:

save money! move into public housing! think of all the $$$ you could save...

plus, you’ll meet the nicest, like-minded people. maybe easier access to hard drugs too!

expose your kids and wives to diversity. why should you live anywhere nice or relatively safe? let’s level out the playing field...

as an american of the future, do you think you have the right to live in a nice neighborhood? plus more public housing types sharing your waves...:applause2:

west chester county is just north of nyc. lots of it is pretty nice, $$$. they’ve been trying to pull this sh!t for years.:roflmao:

seems the goal is to make more of the county look like downtown yonkers.

good luck!

“equity” now!

:ban:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
:foreheadslap::foreheadslap::foreheadslap:

save money! move into public housing! think of all the $$$ you could save...

plus, you’ll meet the nicest, like-minded people. maybe easier access to hard drugs too!

expose your kids and wives to diversity. why should you live anywhere nice or relatively safe? let’s level out the playing field...

as an american of the future, do you think you have the right to live in a nice neighborhood? plus more public housing types sharing your waves...:applause2:

west chester county is just north of nyc. lots of it is pretty nice, $$$. they’ve been trying to pull this sh!t for years.:roflmao:

seems the goal is to make more of the county look like downtown yonkers.

good luck!

“equity” now!

:ban:

In other words....

"ewww, get away from me poor people."

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Why not make it ALL low income housing?

When relying on private investment to build affordable housing, there has to be a way for developers to turn a profit.
500 truly affordable units is better than most.

The truly laughable thing would be the likelihood of that powerplant being built in those backyards today.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Right.

But I'm sure the county could find a way to make it happen.
The massive installations of public housing are typically the worst all areas- quality, upkeep, and outcomes. They've also been the public housing most often afforded to non white occupants. This are the developments that most people think of when they picture public housing and/or subsidized housing.

Decentralized subsidized housing has a far better track record.

There's more here.
Unfortunately, it doesn't paint the government as great stewards of equity

Widely heralded as a “masterful” (Washington Post) and “essential” (Slate) history of the modern American metropolis, Richard Rothstein’s The Color of Law offers “the most forceful argument ever published on how federal, state, and local governments gave rise to and reinforced neighborhood segregation” (William Julius Wilson). Exploding the myth of de facto segregation arising from private prejudice or the unintended consequences of economic forces, Rothstein describes how the American government systematically imposed residential segregation: with undisguised racial zoning; public housing that purposefully segregated previously mixed communities; subsidies for builders to create whites-only suburbs; tax exemptions for institutions that enforced segregation; and support for violent resistance to African Americans in white neighborhoods. A groundbreaking, “virtually indispensable” study that has already transformed our understanding of twentieth-century urban history (Chicago Daily Observer), The Color of Law forces us to face the obligation to remedy our unconstitutional past.

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
When relying on private investment to build affordable housing, there has to be a way for developers to turn a profit.
500 truly affordable units is better than most.

The truly laughable thing would be the likelihood of that powerplant being built in those backyards today.
The plan, according to the developer is 2500 units. I've had to deal with our planning commission and I will tell you it will never get passed. NOt by the city council either. And the residents rejected "The Waterfront," a project I liked , given the decrepit nature of our pier.

Also, he did not say how many of the units will be affordable housing. My guess is just enought to get credits on the EIR for parking, traffic and vehicle use.

The chance of getting a power plant built around here is about a good as opening a polyurethane surfboard blank factory in San Juan Capistrano.

Last edited:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
The plan, according to the developer is 2500 units. I've had to deal with out planning commission and I will tell you it will never get passed. NOt by the city council either. And the residents rejected "The Waterfront," a project I liked , given the decrepit nature of our pier.

Also, he did not say how many of the units will be affordable housing. My guess is just enought to get credits on the EIR for parking, traffic and vehicle use.

The chance of getting a power plant built around here is about a good as opening a polyurethane surfboard blank factory in San Juan Capistrano.
That's typical. I'd like to see those numbers bump up in general.

I thought I heard in the video it was 500. Maybe my mistake.

Reactions: One-Off

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
That's typical. I'd like to see those numbers bump up in general.

I thought I heard in the video it was 500. Maybe my mistake.
Usually it’s around 20-25% “affordable”. In some counties it’s mandated, even without the perks.

The problem is that the upper income threshold often leaves out a lot of people who can’t afford market price but make too much to qualify for the “affordable” units.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Usually it’s around 20-25% “affordable”. In some counties it’s mandated, even without the perks.

The problem is that the upper income threshold often leaves out a lot of people who can’t afford market price but make too much to qualify for the “affordable” units.

Yes. Yes indeed.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

That sounds exactly like my bracket for getting any financial aid for my daughter's post secondary education.

• Sad
Reactions: grapedrink

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
See the story about home buyers in Florida in the Hurricane Ian damage zone?

Less than a month after Hurricane Ian caused widespread devastation to southwestern Florida, investors and other buyers are scouring for housing deals in a region where home prices have soared in recent years.

Demand remains strong from both locals and out-of-staters, according to residential real-estate agents in Naples, Fla., and other areas near the path of the Category 4 storm. They say they have received numerous inquiries from people still interested in relocating to the Sunshine State, or hoping to pick up distressed properties.

“It’s pretty much business as usual,” said Kelly Baldwin, an agent for Coldwell Banker in Longboat Key, Fla. “I haven’t had anyone reach out who wants to stop their home search.”

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
See the story about home buyers in Florida in the Hurricane Ian damage zone?

Less than a month after Hurricane Ian caused widespread devastation to southwestern Florida, investors and other buyers are scouring for housing deals in a region where home prices have soared in recent years.

Demand remains strong from both locals and out-of-staters, according to residential real-estate agents in Naples, Fla., and other areas near the path of the Category 4 storm. They say they have received numerous inquiries from people still interested in relocating to the Sunshine State, or hoping to pick up distressed properties.

“It’s pretty much business as usual,” said Kelly Baldwin, an agent for Coldwell Banker in Longboat Key, Fla. “I haven’t had anyone reach out who wants to stop their home search.”
Does anyone NOT see a problem with this?

Like I said in the hurricane thread, fucking end the National Flood Insurance program already.

Everyone who is already in is in. But no new builds should be insured under the program.

In the case your home is leveled you get a one time payout to use as you choose, but if you want to rebuild in the same place, you're on your own as far as insurance.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
The plan, according to the developer is 2500 units. I've had to deal with our planning commission and I will tell you it will never get passed. NOt by the city council either. And the residents rejected "The Waterfront," a project I liked , given the decrepit nature of our pier.

It called "by right". We are going through the same stuff in Encinitas. Tomorrow night, the planning commission will be approving a 500 unit apartment complex. This effectively doubles the size of the existing neighborhood. I would love to see the VLM studies for the RB project. That's something like "vehicle level mileage". A super low-ball estimate of how much the new tenants will be driving around.

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
Does anyone NOT see a problem with this?

Like I said in the hurricane thread, fucking end the National Flood Insurance program already.

Everyone who is already in is in. But no new builds should be insured under the program.

In the case your home is leveled you get a one time payout to use as you choose, but if you want to rebuild in the same place, you're on your own as far as insurance.
Banks will not issue construction loans without proof of flood insurance and FEMA designates the risk. After Katrina the landowners whose homes and businesses were flooded or destroyed were hit by FEMA with a 17 feet above sea level minimum height restriction on all new construction in their designated flood zone. Because of this, Subsequent hurricanes have caused considerably less damage.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Whats that a 70's house? Hell it stood this long. Probably has good bones. $350! Fuck cheap. Buy it! Why r u talking to us! Im gonna buy it