r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
For the Viking, a decently brisk troll 7.3 kts is 2135
20kts is about 600.
30kts is around 470.

An Azimut 83 with a 6000 gallon tank has a range of 400m at 14kts.

It's going to depend what your yacht is for. Some of these are luxury yachts for never leaving the Mediterranean or the Eastern US/Carib. Some of these (like the Viking) are for a run to Bermuda with a slow speed cruising portion at night, but they want to get to seamounts or temperature/current breaks quickly during fishing tournaments.

Like Mundus said it will depend on the cruising speed and also style of boat. What gets from Miami to Bimini or Monaco to Ibiza in a serious hurry is not built for oceanic passage.

Fascinating sh!t. Thanks for the info. I really badly want to get into boating when I get in my 50s. Really bummed I haven't already but it always seems so far out of reach when it comes to money. Even with money I'm doing the math in my head and it's just insane what you have to be willing to drop to get a decent little boat like that one pictured.

So if you're just keeping the boat in the Mediterranean and just cruising that area, how often would need to fill up per year? These guys boat every day or just weeks at a time?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Fascinating sh!t. Thanks for the info. I really badly want to get into boating when I get in my 50s. Really bummed I haven't already but it always seems so far out of reach when it comes to money. Even with money I'm doing the math in my head and it's just insane what you have to be willing to drop to get a decent little boat like that one pictured.

So if you're just keeping the boat in the Mediterranean and just cruising that area, how often would need to fill up per year? These guys boat every day or just weeks at a time?
Grew up on boats, fished for a living for 10 years. My last 36 hr canyon trip, I had enough. Sold my personal boat and have not been on boats since except for the Pangas on my recent Nica trip. With the right attitude boats can be great, just be ready for things to go wrong and the expense.

Reactions: PPK96754

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

Surfing is the best boating. Fishing kayak or whitewater raft probably #2.

I have no idea what the super-rich do with their boats. But I imagine it's hard to have your mega-yacht be seen over the horizon. But with the ranges on those things, if you're doing any kind of speed I'd expect a fill up or three between the French Riviera and the Greek Isles. Same for the trip from the Acela corridor to South Florida.

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
To provide some context, an 80' Viking Convertible has a 2600 gallon fuel tank

To provide some context a diesel truck getting 20mpg would cover 154,000mi with that 7700ga. Anyone who burns that much fuel in a year deserves to be HEAVILY taxed and shunned for their contribution to global warming and use of resources. I'm not ready to fully ban such behavior, but I'd like society to strongly dissuade it. I've made it comfortably through 42 years of life, including living many months at sea, without having purchased that much fuel cumulatively yet. A massive percentage of the world population will finish their lives without having done it. It just seems like a disgusting display of wealth and waste to do so.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Surfing is the best boating. Fishing kayak or whitewater raft probably #2.

I have no idea what the super-rich do with their boats. But I imagine it's hard to have your mega-yacht be seen over the horizon. But with the ranges on those things, if you're doing any kind of speed I'd expect a fill up or three between the French Riviera and the Greek Isles. Same for the trip from the Acela corridor to South Florida.
Power boats measure their gas mileage in gallons per minute. :eek:

I was once checking out boats in Long Beach (CA) and came across a beautiful maxi sailboat. There were a couple of young Aussies on board and I stopped to talk to them. They said the owner will call them and tell them where to meet. They were provisioning the boat to meet the owner in Tahiti next. So I think that's what rich people do- have a crew sail and maintain the boat and then call them and say, "Hey. Meet me in St. Tropez in three weeks."

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria

I was once checking out boats in Long Beach (CA) and came across a beautiful maxi sailboat. There were a couple of young Aussies on board and I stopped to talk to them. They said the owner will call them and tell them where to meet. They were provisioning the boat to meet the owner in Tahiti next. So I think that's what rich people do- have a crew sail and maintain the boat and then call them and say, "Hey. Meet me in St. Tropez in three weeks."
I've kayaked in Newport Beach harbor a few times. One time I rolled up this huge yacht parked at some private dock on a mansion. All the crew were there and preparing the boat. I paddled up and talked with one kid. He looked college age and all clean cut, etc. All the crew had the same all white outfit on too. He said they were preparing for a trip. There was a young hottie too as part of the crew. She was carrying loads of grocery bags onto the boat. He couldn't tell me where they were going but said they would be gone for a while. What a life.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~

I was once checking out boats in Long Beach (CA) and came across a beautiful maxi sailboat. There were a couple of young Aussies on board and I stopped to talk to them. They said the owner will call them and tell them where to meet. They were provisioning the boat to meet the owner in Tahiti next. So I think that's what rich people do- have a crew sail and maintain the boat and then call them and say, "Hey. Meet me in St. Tropez in three weeks.
Friends were crew members on Peter Fonda's boat, the Tatoosh, for years. Most of the time it sat off the channel in Lahaina and the crew spent a lot of time in the Lahaina Yacht Club or over in Kona. Peter would call and tell them to bring the boat down to Tahiti and off they'd go for a few months then back to Maui. The old skipper, Billy (from Venice HS) lives in Kona now and the 1st mate Conrad, lives in Aussie.

Reactions: keenfish

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I've kayaked in Newport Beach harbor a few times. One time I rolled up this huge yacht parked at some private dock on a mansion. All the crew were there and preparing the boat. I paddled up and talked with one kid. He looked college age and all clean cut, etc. All the crew had the same all white outfit on too. He said they were preparing for a trip. There was a young hottie too as part of the crew. She was carrying loads of grocery bags onto the boat. He couldn't tell me where they were going but said they would be gone for a while. What a life.
Sounds like you paddled up next to my custom Viking. Was it on Harbor Island?
The girl was my girlfriends daughter. She needed to learn the ropes.
We were only going down to Cabo for the Bisbee's Black and Blue Tournament.
Of course we won it all including all the side bets.
It's good to be King!

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina

I have several friends who do this job. Great gig when you're young and free.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Sounds like you paddled up next to my custom Viking. Was it on Harbor Island?
The girl was my girlfriends daughter. She needed to learn the ropes.
We were only going down to Cabo for the Bisbee's Black and Blue Tournament.
Of course we won it all including all the side bets.
It's good to be King!
The boat I saw in Newport Harbor looked kind of similar to this one in size and style. No heli but had a gorgeous dark navy blue hull and looked stunning. It looked so ridiculously big from the kayak.

1658118366416.png

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
The boat I saw in Newport Harbor looked kind of similar to this one in size and style. No heli but had a gorgeous dark navy blue hull and looked stunning. It looked so ridiculously big from the kayak.

View attachment 133954
Ho brah.. I know the one you are talking about and way to rich for my blood. Can't imagine the expense of a yacht like that.
My Viking was some time ago so not sure the time frame here?
Now I have a Custom Donzi 80' Sportfisher that I bought used out of Florida and moved it through the canal to Costa Rica.
I keep it at Los Suenos now and fly in on my Gulfstream G550 a couple times a year when there are Tournaments.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Ho brah.. I know the one you are talking about and way to rich for my blood. Can't imagine the expense of a yacht like that.
My Viking was some time ago so not sure the time frame here?
Now I have a Custom Donzi 80' Sportfisher that I bought used out of Florida and moved it through the canal to Costa Rica.
I keep it at Los Suenos now and fly in on my Gulfstream G550 a couple times a year when there are Tournaments.

Gas is too expensive these days. I'd prefer something like this-

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Can't imagine the expense of a yacht like that.
That's pretty much it right there. I've known yacht owners who employ full time mechanical and electrical engineers, full time live aboard captain, often a full time chef, plus a mostly younger crew of at least 6-12, some paid or not. The unpaid crew might get free R&B, food and vacation but they're paying full salary for everyone else. A $50k fuel bill is like going to the grocery store. These people are usually well into the $100 millions net worth.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
That's pretty much it right there. I've known yacht owners who employ full time mechanical and electrical engineers, full time live aboard captain, often a full time chef, plus a mostly younger crew of at least 6-12, some paid or not. The unpaid crew might get free R&B, food and vacation but they're paying full salary for everyone else. A $50k fuel bill is like going to the grocery store. These people are usually well into the $100 millions net worth.
My yerno’s younger brother worked on this tub.
CA997914-159E-4ABF-99EE-0F671CA0B266.jpeg
His girlfriend still does.

He’s in the med with the youngest brother working on different boats.