kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
  • Love
Reactions: hammies and r32

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Did they just pull him out of the morg for a weekend at Bernie's.
I think he’s trying to give Zuckerberg a run for the money in the which rich asshole can be a bigger dork in the ocean contest? Now that these pics are out, I predict that in the next 6-12 months we see pics of him shirtless and tanned with ripped up abs and t-levels that make Doug moist in his trousers.

F51B0F35-D071-4C87-BFF2-CD312C1FB11E.jpeg222AAC88-CB6B-4BB5-A18D-72E1DFAF019A.jpeg

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
yeah, part of me leans towards a sloop with monster righting-arm in case you get rolled in a storm, but another part of me is totally in love with the shallow draft and speed of a cat

View attachment 134000

*this* is how to "park your boat"!

:dancing:
My parents raised me with the idea that you want an ocean going boat that can handle gnarly weather and of course right itself. Their boat has a hull speed of like 5 knots. I'm told that with the speed of modern cats, satellite internet, and modern weather forecasting you'd have to be stupid or very unlucky to need those capabilites unless you sail in crazy weather places like the Southern Ocean. Practical experience backs that up as none of my cat owning, Pacific crossing friends have been caught in a scary storm.

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
Elon partying on this boat right now in the Greek Isles. Unique gold color looks pretty cool.

Rentable for 7k EUR per day. Doesn't seem bad if you go in with a few others.

You couldn't pay me all the money in the world to look like that. Nevermind the health risks, which means potentially less time on Earth, since time is the most valuable thing. I guess I should appreciate the sacrifice he makes in an effort to better civilization. I'm too busy bronzing and using my ab roller to care about the future of humanity.

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
New boat? Remember the plug?

Nope used. Was not the plug. I've seen people forget the plug and it's obvious within seconds of putting in. Inspecter couldn't find the cause of the sinking. Son in law's dad bought a new boat......I have yet to go out in it......my son in law's buddy was on the boat when it sank said he's done with boats, period. It was the second time he was on a boat that he had to bail on.

• Wow
Reactions: grapedrink

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
Fascinating sh!t. Thanks for the info. I really badly want to get into boating when I get in my 50s. Really bummed I haven't already but it always seems so far out of reach when it comes to money. Even with money I'm doing the math in my head and it's just insane what you have to be willing to drop to get a decent little boat like that one pictured.

So if you're just keeping the boat in the Mediterranean and just cruising that area, how often would need to fill up per year? These guys boat every day or just weeks at a time?
what’s bananas is hearing the stories of knocking a couple feet off a new used boat or even brand new boat to beat a countries import luxury boat tax. I know the guy who does Vikings cad work. everything from a custom cup holder to lopp off 6ft and put her back together.

the captains going to/fro bass river and Absecon inlet are always courtoeus to us peasants fishing. great company.

best experience was when I was about 14/15 yo fluking in a 13ft whaler in the middle of the channel. Sport fisher comes flying up, then no wake as he’s passing by and yells “one day little minnow, youll grow up. One day.“

• Wow
Reactions: keenfish and r32

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Bezos' $500m yacht was quietly towed out of the shipyard at 3am to avoid public eye.

The 3 giant masts will be attached at another shipyard.

• Wow
Reactions: keenfish

nimby

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 15, 2011
Salmon bite just outside the jetty was red hot, buddy and I met at the launch ramp after work to put my skiff in and go chase them, just before I back the boat down the ramp I yell at my buddy, who smoked a fat one on his way to the harbor, to put the bilge plug in....he yells back he's on it...launch the boat, motoring away from the ramp, water starts sloshing at our feet..."you're f'n kidding me, right?"

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Friends were crew members on Peter Fonda's boat, the Tatoosh, for years. Most of the time it sat off the channel in Lahaina and the crew spent a lot of time in the Lahaina Yacht Club or over in Kona. Peter would call and tell them to bring the boat down to Tahiti and off they'd go for a few months then back to Maui. The old skipper, Billy (from Venice HS) lives in Kona now and the 1st mate Conrad, lives in Aussie.
Fascinating sh!t. Thanks for the info. I really badly want to get into boating when I get in my 50s. Really bummed I haven't already but it always seems so far out of reach when it comes to money. Even with money I'm doing the math in my head and it's just insane what you have to be willing to drop to get a decent little boat like that one pictured.

So if you're just keeping the boat in the Mediterranean and just cruising that area, how often would need to fill up per year? These guys boat every day or just weeks at a time?
The rule smart boaters live by-who aren't Bezos or Musk-- is less is better. You can boat fairly inexpensively and still have a great time, if you know boats, and keep it simple. The problem is that so many people always want more, bigger, etc. This inevitably leads to disappointment and unhappiness over the expense. Then they stop boating. I've seen it over and over. Friends have had a solid 23-24 center console, fishing boat, make some money, then bought a 44 foot sportfisher, which they sell within a few years because they get sick of the hassle, expense, etc.

I am from a family of commercial fisherman, so grew up on boats. Worked on commercial fishing/crabbing and shrimp boats, and got into sailboat racing and cruising later, so I know power and sailboats. Now, basic, simple power boats are exorbitantly priced. A buddy of mine got rear ended while trailering his 23' mako, and I helped him get $13k more from his insurance company than he paid for the boat. He had it for seven years. It's crazy.

Best values in boats right now are used sailboats; you can get a quality 34-36 foot racer/cruiser for around $100k, drop another ten in it, and you could sail anywhere you wanted with minimal fuel expense. And if you know how to take care of basic maintenance, that would be minimal as well. But I do expect that power boat prices are due to correct. But not fuel prices.

Less is better, unless you are uber wealthy.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
The rule smart boaters live by-who aren't Bezos or Musk-- is less is better. You can boat fairly inexpensively and still have a great time, if you know boats, and keep it simple. The problem is that so many people always want more, bigger, etc. This inevitably leads to disappointment and unhappiness over the expense. Then they stop boating. I've seen it over and over. Friends have had a solid 23-24 center console, fishing boat, make some money, then bought a 44 foot sportfisher, which they sell within a few years because they get sick of the hassle, expense, etc.

I am from a family of commercial fisherman, so grew up on boats. Worked on commercial fishing/crabbing and shrimp boats, and got into sailboat racing and cruising later, so I know power and sailboats. Now, basic, simple power boats are exorbitantly priced. A buddy of mine got rear ended while trailering his 23' mako, and I helped him get $13k more from his insurance company than he paid for the boat. He had it for seven years. It's crazy.

Best values in boats right now are used sailboats; you can get a quality 34-36 foot racer/cruiser for around $100k, drop another ten in it, and you could sail anywhere you wanted with minimal fuel expense. And if you know how to take care of basic maintenance, that would be minimal as well. But I do expect that power boat prices are due to correct. But not fuel prices.

Less is better, unless you are uber wealthy.
I'm still sticking with your friends boat is the best boat. Step on.. step off... FTW!

nimby

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 15, 2011
Neil Young had a sweet 103' Baltic Schooner for decades, during the 70's it was tied up periodically for a week or two at PIllar Point Harbor in HMB, got to spend some time aboard it, skipper was a surfing acquantance...friggin awesome boat. Neil would come cruising onto the pier in a full on lead sled chopped 50s' Mercury coupe just dripping chrome and attitude, a smoking hottie riding shotgun...style for miles..
1659589496269.png