How Not to Park Your Boat

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
What was that guy doing, just parked on the bridge like that? Was there an unseen barrier in front of him or what, and if there was, could he not drive around it when his car started lifting? Something doesn't pass the smell test.

Yeah, all he had to do was drive forward ten feet, and no problem. Nothing was blocking him.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Why are boats and guns such magnets for stupid people with too much money?

Reactions: rowjimmytour

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Why are boats and guns such magnets for stupid people with too much money?

Because stupid people who fall into money didn't chance onto intelligence at the same time their windfalls occurred?

:shrug:

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
There's not enough "tax included" if someone is willing to burn 7700 gallons of diesel in less than a year. There's an externalized cost there that I'm not happy to pay. Ostentatious displays of wealth and rampant consumption should be more stigmatized.
TLDR: Burn the rich, not fossil fuels.
^Now I want to make stickers saying that and put them on the back of large motor boats.

Reactions: PPK96754

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
So.......a couple of weeks ago my son in law's dad buys a nice used fishing boat. He was sick so my son in law asked me if I wanted to join the maiden voyage. We launch the boat and go to the gas station, and while filling up, a kayak with two people runs into the boat. Paddles right into it. We are like WTF? Bad juju.

Gassed up we head out into heavy fog. Can't see sh!t. But no matter the boat has electronics. We cruise around for about four hours, drop a few lines but really just enjoying the boat, talking about all the great times that are going to be had on this awesome boat.

Son in law decides to head back, and a few minutes later says we are taking on water. Tells his buddy to hit the bilge pump, but it doesn't work. We start bailing. Turn the boat to the beach, maybe a mile away. Now the cabin is flooding. We get just outside the surf, and hope to use the trolling motor to beach it, but the motor, now flooded, dies. Six foot wave hits the back of the boat, but we hold on. Rocked. Second one, not as big, we hold on. Third wave hits and we have to bail. Boat flips, and we are in the drink. I'm in a rip, but close to shore. Trying to let the waves push me in, but the rip says no. It's a whole lot different with no board, no suit, and in your clothes. A random booger, the only guy out, asks if I need help, and I say come on over. I grabbed the edge of his board, and I'm on the sand. I imagine it looked a lot like that vid where the Aussie guy says "It's a complete yard sale"

The boat is upside down on the beach. Heard it flipped three times. Surreal. Over the next half hour, random stuff from the boat washes up. A shoe, a few beers, a bag of chips. Then we hear the bilge pump start.......and it runs and runs, mocking us.

Coast guard shows cause people on the beach called. If my son in law hadn't seen it when he did, it could have been a whole lot worse. If I'd had to jump in a few miles offshore in the fog, I'd probably not be writing this. No way the boat sank because of the faulty bilge pump. There was a bit of swell but no water coming in over the side all day. Waiting for an inspector to determine the cause. I never felt in peril, but the next day realized I was. One minute the three of us were having a great time, a few minutes later we were standing on the beach. It happened fast.
New boat? Remember the plug?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
What distance does 2600 gallons and 7700 gallons get you in the ocean?
For the Viking, a decently brisk troll 7.3 kts is 2135
20kts is about 600.
30kts is around 470.

An Azimut 83 with a 6000 gallon tank has a range of 400m at 14kts.

It's going to depend what your yacht is for. Some of these are luxury yachts for never leaving the Mediterranean or the Eastern US/Carib. Some of these (like the Viking) are for a run to Bermuda with a slow speed cruising portion at night, but they want to get to seamounts or temperature/current breaks quickly during fishing tournaments.

Like Mundus said it will depend on the cruising speed and also style of boat. What gets from Miami to Bimini or Monaco to Ibiza in a serious hurry is not built for oceanic passage.