Hydrodynamica

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
My question though is are these boxes set farther back specifically for a twin setup? I cant tell... And he's shite at answering DM's
They don't look set further back to me. On both my GMM2's (thrusters) the fronts are at 10" and the rear is at 3". Looks pretty close to that in the pic......other than the MR fronts having a longer base and sitting slightly further back for that reason alone.

Reactions: oeste858

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Okay so since XTR is having a sale. I have a few questions for anyone that might know
How's the Mini Simmons in stock dims? It seems a little beefy according to the calculator.
Also, the GMM2....any reason it wouldn't work short and wide? I would have to get it in a 5'0 to 5'2, but 18" wide at 24-25 liters is not what I want for the conditions I would ride it in. I'm thinking more like 20" wide (I can't find stock dims for that boar anywhere)
I agree with @oeste858. No need to go wide on the GMM2. It grovels just fine in slimmer dims.

5'2 x 19 and whatever thickness gets you to your desired volume sounds right to me.

Reactions: Jamby
Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
What's the deal with the tapered rail? Are the stock rails really full or something?
Is the MR Twin plus trailer the preferred fin on this one? FCS 2 would be the box of choice I guess?

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
My buddy bought RK’s personal GMM2: 5’10, 19 55/64, 2 3/4. I got one wave on it today and holy hell it was fun. It honestly blew my mind. You’d think in those dims it would be a boat based on what I like to ride but that was not the case at all. Felt amazing. I am thinking about getting an oversized one or an oversized Revo from Dan (when that Aussie dollar drops a bit more).

yes, you read the dims correctly

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
My buddy bought RK’s personal GMM2: 5’10, 19 55/64, 2 3/4. I got one wave on it today and holy hell it was fun. It honestly blew my mind. You’d think in those dims it would be a boat based on what I like to ride but that was not the case at all. Felt amazing. I am thinking about getting an oversized one or an oversized Revo from Dan (when that Aussie dollar drops a bit more).

How tall are you? I'm 5'7 and I went through 3 Evo's, 5'6, 5'4, 5'3 before I ended up on the 5'2 I ride, but I consider it a performance board, so now it sits with the rest of the boards I almost never ride. The longer Evo's were terrible. Hoping a wider GMM2 might be more mush oriented.

Looks like the Gmm2 has a much flatter rocker profile than the Evo?

Last edited:
Reactions: JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
IMO Evo doesn’t size up nearly as well the Revo, and the new Revo from FW with Vee bottom can be ridden even larger and still tip rail to rail.

I had an xtr Evo at 5’4, 19, 2 7/16. I told that to Dan and asked him to make me a Revo with dims of his choice. He made me one that is 5’5, 19 3/8, 2 1/2 at 30 L. Felt perfect but think it would work at a larger size too.

Thinking about ordering an XTR GMM2 at 5’9, 19 5/8, 2 5/8. Is that crazy?

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
How tall are you? I'm 5'7 and I went through 3 Evo's, 5'6, 5'4, 5'3 before I ended up on the 5'2 I ride, but I consider it a performance board, so now it sits with the rest of the boards I almost never ride. The longer Evo's were terrible. Hoping a wider GMM2 might be more mush oriented.

Looks like the Gmm2 has a much flatter rocker profile than the Evo?
Interestingly, the GMM2 is actually curvier than the Evo. It could be that it has a little bit more nose and tail flip when compared to the Evo. I don't quite remember how the rocker numbers compare as you get closer to center, but I know the GMM2 has a continuous rocker.

I didn't like the Evo much. It had no spark for me. Looking back, I feel like the tail rocker was too low for my taste.

I've had a 4'10 and a 5'1 GMM2. Both have gone insane. Next I'm going to get a 5'3 just to have a little longer version. I have zero hesitation that it will work sized up a bit. Magic rocker.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California

I've wanted a quiver of GMM2's for a long time. I want to take that rocker and scale it up from groveler to step up. As you go longer, just start pulling the nose and tail in a little more.

Get on this RK!

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
IMO Evo doesn’t size up nearly as well the Revo, and the new Revo from FW with Vee bottom can be ridden even larger and still tip rail to rail.

I had an xtr Evo at 5’4, 19, 2 7/16. I told that to Dan and asked him to make me a Revo with dims of his choice. He made me one that is 5’5, 19 3/8, 2 1/2 at 30 L. Felt perfect but think it would work at a larger size too.

Thinking about ordering an XTR GMM2 at 5’9, 19 5/8, 2 5/8. Is that crazy?
IMO Evo should be ridden as short as you’re able to paddle around and get into waves.
if you get a 5’9 GMM2, I’d probably take it off your hands it doesn’t work for you. LOL

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA

I'd really love to try a bigger GMM2 to see if I click with it. Those dims still seem tiny considering my
Manta is 22 1/4" wide at 5'8". I briefly had a 5'8" Evo that was very hit/miss from wave to wave, but this
model has always appealed to me.

Reactions: Havoc and JDJ

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I'd really love to try a bigger GMM2 to see if I click with it. Those dims still seem tiny considering my
Manta is 22 1/4" wide at 5'8". I briefly had a 5'8" Evo that was very hit/miss from wave to wave, but this
model has always appealed to me.
That rectangle outline is super efficient. The straight rail line really doesn’t need a ton of width to plane like a muthaf-er. Rocker can handle a bit of everything- probably since RK’s home break goes from steep to slow and back on the same wave.

The manta I tried was probably not even 22, and it felt like a houseboat to me… No offense to you manta devotees. Was real skatey in weak flattish waves, but just did not click with it and prefer other gravel boars (<21”)

Reactions: jkb and MathDebater