New stubby/alt DD options

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
uh if it's a standard thruster ill take it haha, I wanted an XTR RNF but no twin setup. I've decided im not man enough for powah twin

Reactions: oeste858

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
Got a 6'0 Happy Everyday - Ive only been able to test in in fairly junky big waves, but it paddles well and gets me into waves early. Also carries speed over the flat weird spots that OBSF has sometimes. Bringing it to Hawaii next week, should be intesting
Update?? Need more ride reports/reviews on H.E.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
So far I think the light speed is a little flexier than I'd like. I yolo'd an upsized Bean Bag so it's short and thick and shouldn't be too flexy IMO. Not sure about an HPSB in this build for fatties (me).

I preferred the Carbon Wrap which I think is DONE as an option, and I'd probably order a Black Dart for something like a Bean Bag or PJ and a C4 for something like a Sub Driver, but the Black Dart and C4 I have were both used, so I dunno how sun/heat-protected they were.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Update?? Need more ride reports/reviews on H.E.
Took it out at overhead+ hanalei. May not be the best indiciator as it was solid, good shaped waves, but it went really well.

More of a user error on my end, but I should have brought a heavier board as the trades were super strong. I could feel myself almost getting pushed out of waves when paddling into them.

I'm here till the end of the month and should be surfing a mix of north/south so I should have a better feel for it then.

I've only surfed it three times in California in pretty weird mix of conditions (Pumping OBSF, Junk OBSF, shoulder high reef in SC)

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
2BE98FE3-672F-4D14-B62C-9DDD22ABFCE3.jpeg

D97FD062-9BF7-40DF-9CBE-0DE863BE8B5E.jpeg

Just picked this up. HIC Striker. Designed and shaped by Kerry Tokoro. 5’9 x 20 1/4 x 2 3/4. Vol. 33.6 L. Single 4 oz. E-cloth bottom. Single 4 oz. S-cloth deck with front and rear foot patches.

Airbrush by Jeannie Chesser. Saw a pic online and had Jeannie do her take on it.

I’ve been riding a similar boar from last summer but went an 1/8” wider and an inch shorter. I requested Kerry thin the rails a little from the last boar. Wanting it to fit into the steep transitions of my summer regular. It’s marketed as HIC’s shortboar groveller but it has a lot of performance design in.

Gonna give it a go tomorrow morning.

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
Didn’t @silentbutdeadly have a lightspeed for a hot second? What number would you give it on the XTR flex level ? Lol
I've got a Light Speed and Carbon Wrap. My SD2 is LS and def has more flex which feels ok in chest/shoulder + stuff. It doesn't really like small waves. Kind of a bummer since I got it as a east coast winter small wave board. I attributed the flex more to the board being more foiled out and longer/thinner than my CW Rad Ripper which I love. I guess it could also be the build. Would be curious to try a RR in LS but gonna keep this one till it dies.

Reactions: Havoc and teeroi

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
Anyone been on an Uber Driver XL? I didn’t know it was a model but shop had a few stock. Looked good, maybe a slightly more versatile Rocket??

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Well they do work..... esp for us bigger dus in stock which makes them easy to get. Just got rid of my Rad "Dad" Ripper. Was a solid shape in this category. Soon to be replaced with TPat Synth84 with beefed up dims. Haven't ridden one but pretty much same design and seems to be a lot of hype.

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
Any ride reports on that Panda Shrizz?
spjones123
OTF status

Friday at 1:04 PM
Before GG derails another thread, my limited experience with Panda boards is nothing but positive. I had a Doinker Egg a few years back and the Shrizz is a blast.

Most of my recent boards have been twin+trailer. Personal preference, but it’s my default favorite. But I don’t think they really feel like twins. They feel (to me) like loose thrusters. The Shrizz is the first board I’ve had that feels like it has most of the drive and squirt of a straight twin. But it re-engages and doesn’t release when a twin would. I think a lot of guys here are really really good surfers and can anticipate/handle when a twin is about to slide out. I can‘t. So the Shrizz is kind of best of both worlds.

It also has a really big sweet spot. Take off in the white water and don’t land quite right, no problem. Foot a little far forward on a bottom turn, no problem. It’s kind of everything I thought the CI Bobby Quad was going to be.

Reactions: Havoc