***Official Real Estate Thread***

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Redfin laying off 8% of their employees.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego

Compass laid off a bunch, too.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Because Hawaii is not a local real estate market anymore

It’s global

I wish it wasn’t, because it’s fucked up and it screws people here over, but it’s only not sustainable to the extent that global capitalism is not sustainable

Everybody complains about the mean disgruntled Hawaiians but if this were the Basque Country or Northern Ireland buses and cafes would be going kaboom every so often, just to keep motherfuckers on their toes

You just get attitude on your vacation
Seems like nowhere in this country is run for the people living there, or at least the next generation that wants to continue living there.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Seems like nowhere in this country is run for the people living there, or at least the next generation that wants to continue living there.
I agree

I would support the type of law in place in many countries that restricts real estate ownership to citizens or dual citizens

Honolulu is a place where newly rich foreign nationals (there are literally millions of them) are more than happy to park their cash. And Hawaii developers, who fund political campaigns, are more than happy to keep building empty apartments for them while Hawaiians are left homeless or fleeing to the mainland

Think how frustrating it is not being to live in the neighborhood where you grew up. Now imagine you’re family has been there for 30 generations

You might be a little pissed

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

Weird.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii

From Mr. Powell himself:

I'd say if you are homebuyer, somebody or a young person looking to buy a home, you need a bit of a reset. We need to get to back to a place where supply and demand are back together and where inflation is down low again, and mortgage rates are low again.

This will be a process were by ideally, we do our work in a way were the housing market settles in a new place. And housing and credit availability are at appropriate levels
Anyone still think there's no problem when the Fed chair is saying this?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

From Mr. Powell himself:

I thought this was the Great Reset.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I agree

I would support the type of law in place in many countries that restricts real estate ownership to citizens or dual citizens

Honolulu is a place where newly rich foreign nationals (there are literally millions of them) are more than happy to park their cash. And Hawaii developers, who fund political campaigns, are more than happy to keep building empty apartments for them while Hawaiians are left homeless or fleeing to the mainland

Think how frustrating it is not being to live in the neighborhood where you grew up. Now imagine you’re family has been there for 30 generations

You might be a little pissed
A lot of other countries have laws restricting land ownership by foreign nationals.

I could see that if somebody wants to immigrate and make their home there then maybe let them buy, but if somebody is just speculating or buying their 4th vacation home, then I could see the utility of those laws.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Isn't that the fuckwit who said wages are too high and he wants to bring them down? Dual-income families are being priced out of ever owning a home and this shitheel has the stones to spout this kind of trash.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/transcript-fed-chief-powells-postmeeting-press-conference-11651696613
Yes.

But I follow what he says closely and most of his points are carefully crafted. He couldn't just come out and say wages need to drop because of the Fed's unemployment mandate. But the rapidly rising wages are a concern because inflation becomes a self-feeding monster.

IMO, the big take away is the fed wants to deflate home prices to reduce inflation. This is just my opinion.

Reactions: PRCD

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Yes.

But I follow what he says closely and most of his points are carefully crafted. He couldn't just come out and say wages need to drop because of the Fed's unemployment mandate. But the rapidly rising wages are a concern because inflation becomes a self-feeding monster.

IMO, the big take away is the fed wants to deflate home prices to reduce inflation. This is just my opinion.
But consider the spread of wealth and average price of a home.

There are pockets thst it’ll barely affect

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country

From Mr. Powell himself:

I think Milton Friedman was right about The Fed-
Abolish it

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Isn't that the fuckwit who said wages are too high and he wants to bring them down? Dual-income families are being priced out of ever owning a home and this shitheel has the stones to spout this kind of trash.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/transcript-fed-chief-powells-postmeeting-press-conference-11651696613
Actually he's the guy who was saying the economy, as of last month, is a great economy for workers.

Yes, that's right.

He claimed people who generally work for wages - who are having their purchasing power destroyed by 8.6% (or 17% depending on how you spin it) - are experiencing a great economy.

Insanity, because wage workers get fvcked in the ass by inflation. With no lube.

If Powell doesn't know wages lag behind inflation we have a big fvcking problem.

But he does know, it's very basic economics, so what does that tell us?

That the Fed is a political position and will behave as such.