***Official Real Estate Thread***

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
CA you have to issue a warning before someone is officially trespassing.

some states all you have to do is say someone trespassed and it’s considered true.

not sure if the sign counts as the first warning.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
CA you have to issue a warning before someone is officially trespassing.

some states all you have to do is say someone trespassed and it’s considered true.

not sure if the sign counts as the first warning.
Doesn't matter.

If you're ignoring the signs and poking around on someone's property up there you're not going to be missed.

I'm sure more than a few landowners/"farmers" have acted accordingly.

Reactions: PRCD

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
definitely seeing a slight market slowdown in my area. for a while the only stuff available were either complete dumps with obvious glaring issues or the really nice houses over 1.5mil and anything decent below 500k was being snatched up instantly. lately i'm seeing some price drops and some reasonable stuff coming on the market that isn't selling in two seconds.

many of the properties sold in the past couple years around here were turned into short term rentals and i'm sure some of them are still renting but just anecdotally the vacassa across the street from my GF's house in town has only been rented once this year for one night so far.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
April means the houses went pending 30-60 days prior. I'll believe the inventory issue when I see the May report when rates were at 5-6%.
Do you think that the inventory is all of a sudden going to be fixed in a month.

The core of the issue is still supply and demand and not monetary policy.

Rent is still through the roof everywhere too so it’s not like the alternative is better and people going to stop buying.

Use San Diego for an example.

Rent is 4500 minimum per month for a house within commuting distance to the San Diego.

Where exactly the incentive to not buy? Cause some interest rate is 5.5 now instead of 2.5? The brokers are setting up the loans to buy points down anyway and rates are at mid 3s with points worked into the loan.

At the end of the day people gotta live somewhere and areas near Southern California or Hawaii aren’t really seeing price drops.

All the mortgages are fixed rates and everyone refinanced with low fixed monthly payments. So unless they absolutely have too, they’re not going too sell and will just rent out if they move furthering shortage of homes.

Reactions: npsp and grapedrink

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
"We are anticipating seeing a kind of turning point within the next month or two in terms of home-price appreciation slowing down, but that does not mean home prices are going to get cheaper. It just means they aren't going to get as expensive as fast," said Zillow economist Nicole Bachaud.”

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Do you think that the inventory is all of a sudden going to be fixed in a month.

The core of the issue is still supply and demand and not monetary policy.
The core issue isn't monetary policy? Do you honestly think the 40% run up of home prices in California and Hawaii was driven by supply issues?

"We are anticipating seeing a kind of turning point within the next month or two in terms of home-price appreciation slowing down, but that does not mean home prices are going to get cheaper. It just means they aren't going to get as expensive as fast," said Zillow economist Nicole Bachaud.”
Someone employed by a real estate firm saying houses won't get cheaper. Not buying it.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Well then, next question- anybody have experience fighting drug addicts?
What Bob said is completely false. The DA decided whether you are charged in an altercation and you will always be charged in an incident you could’ve avoided. No one fights drug addicts because they have nothing to lose and you do.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Offhand, how often do people go wandering through the hills around late summer looking for strongly scented weeds?
These days why bother? Just grow your own strongly scented weeds in your backyard (if you live in a state where it's legal like most of us probably do). It's a fun little hobby.
First, want to make clear I do not plan on going for a walk in the "neighborhood" if I visit there during the season, or any other time for that matter. Known and maintained trails, sure, wandering through the bush outside of the property boundary, nope.

Second, am wondering if people think that anyone else would go wandering around. I don't want to be camping on one of those terraces and have someone traipse through looking for goodies. Maybe the local potheads are smart enough not to risk their neck, but I don't know. I guess this is what I am trying to suss out. (I would only visit the property if my friends were there, and would camp because the 'residence' is big enough for one queen bed, a kitchenette, and sitting room...outdoor toilet and wash basin.)

I'm guessing the property seller was very minor player in the local market and when pot was legalized, demand for his product dropped off or he found the hurdle to go legit too much of a headache.....so sell while the property market is hot. Hopefully, seller was an organic gardener and the terraces weren't doused with who knows what.

Last edited:
Reactions: bruhdakine

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
  • Wow
Reactions: grapedrink

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
What Bob said is completely false. The DA decided whether you are charged in an altercation and you will always be charged in an incident you could’ve avoided. No one fights drug addicts because they have nothing to lose and you do.
Yeah, I was being facetious. Our agent sold the house next door a couple of years ago and said the occupant (owner) had serious addiction issues back then. Makes you wonder that the bank couldn't get the person out themselves. I assume they tried, before putting it on the market. Having an incalcitrant, drug addicted, foreclosed owner occupying the property is not a major selling point. And then there's the fact that there are kids involved. Evicting a family might put kids on the street. Becomes a moral dilemma IMHO. No thanks. But fuk the location was nice, walking distance to a state park.

Last edited:
Reactions: PRCD

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
The core issue isn't monetary policy? Do you honestly think the 40% run up of home prices in California and Hawaii was driven by supply issues?

Someone employed by a real estate firm saying houses won't get cheaper. Not buying it.
Sure the prices increased more then usual cause monetary policy.

But you have yet to give any good reasons or indicators for why the prices will drop. Drop, not slow down. Drop. There might be less buyers year over year but that doesn’t mean house prices are going down.

You seem To refuse to accept the basic economic theory of supply and demand And keep repeating monetary policy.

Great so it’s more expensive. Still haven’t fixed the supply issue of the shortage of homes.

There is a housing shortage. i dunno why you refuse to accept. After 2008 no one built.

Add to that every single home is on a low fixed rate mortgage. So why would anyone sell now unless they have too? Easier to just rent it out.

Here is an easy one for you:

Would you sell your house if you moved or rent it cause you got a low interest rate?

if you answered rent; there You go. That’s the shortage Of homes for sale.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
False.
Depending on the state.
And complexion.

edit.
charged, probably, convicted- see notes

Last edited:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Every house sold within a mile radius of my house in the last year has gotten $200K+ over asking. Not many homes sold, though. No one wants to sell and move out.

I have this conversation a lot: we're all paper millionaires sitting on huge equity $, but if we sold our houses, where would we go that's nicer?

Reactions: i_ride_spinnaz