***Official Real Estate Thread***

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
You can do back of the envelope calculations and confirm this. There's no way "fundamentals" alone are responsible for the increase in housing prices because wages and demand among first time buyers isn't high-enough.

Reactions: Boneroni and Havoc

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
After reading the history of that property I would imagine COVID was probably the last straw for the owner.

Sounds like he was being pretty cool but people took advantage. Rather than turn into a total dick he's chosen just to bail instead, and probably take a nice profit.

Even if I had that money, considering the history, I don't think I'd want to own it.
Word.

Reactions: Icu812

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Buy that Lost Coast bit, then fkn use the airstrip to fly in a bunch of wolves encroaching on people's livestock in Wydaho.

When you see a key for a late 90s/early 00s car with a known-for-reliability Japanese mfr logo on it in a pile of wolf sh!t next to a Sharp Eye, post the Casa Mugrienta: Done thread on the erBB.

• Haha
Reactions: Icu812 and rice

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
What is FUD about what he said?
Fear, uncertainty, doubt. It hits all of those marks. Something can be FUD and still be true. Plenty of people kept their jobs and pay during the last downturn.

You seem to shout FUD at any negative statement regarding the economy.
And you seem to jump and cheer every time there is negative news in any financial sector that confirms your bias. Eventually people like you will be right- but how much money will you have left on the sidelines parking it in cash for so many years :unsure:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
How is the reality of an economic slow down the same thing as FUD?
Because you say it with a tone that suggests that everyone will take a bath on all of their income and investments and end up borderline homeless. Most of us will do just fine in the short and long run.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
He's said nothing like that.

Based on what data?

"Stock market always goes up" isn't an answer btw
25% of the workforce was unemployed during The Depression.

That means 75% of the workforce was employed. So most people had jobs.

I didn't think the post was full FUD per se, but some posters, and I'm not saying Masa Kugrienta's name here or anything, thought 2008 was what happens when I surf two drift sessions without Under Armour on and that this would be "a bloodbath".

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
"Stock market always goes up" isn't an answer btw
This is a real estate thread. Real estate is even more consistent in upward trending over time, especially in desirable markets. There will always be contractions in the luxury and low end of the market during a downturn, but the median bread n butter 2-4 bedroom SFHs will do just fine.

You guys keep forgetting the supply issue- supply and demand still rules the roost at the end of the day. Low inventory, rents are rising, and we all need a place to live.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
This is a real estate thread. Real estate is even more consistent in upward trending over time, especially in desirable markets.
This really depends on the time-scale. Bring data or this is just your doctrine.

There will always be contractions in the luxury and low end of the market during a downturn, but the median bread n butter 2-4 bedroom SFHs will do just fine.
That depends on how long this financial manipulations continues. In the Aughts, the financial manipulation was making a lot of bad loans then bundling them as CDS and selling them to greater fools who bought them under dubious assumptions that turned out to be false.

You guys keep forgetting the supply issue- supply and demand still rules the roost at the end of the day. Low inventory, rents are rising, and we all need a place to live.
The inventory is low because large banks are now manipulating the market by paying well over ask. Perhaps this can keep up indefinitely because the Fed has a money printer, it just won't continue at a price most people can afford. If the banks are now going to own our housing forever, then you are correct, but it won't be a country we want to live in.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
This is a real estate thread. Real estate is even more consistent in upward trending over time, especially in desirable markets. There will always be contractions in the luxury and low end of the market during a downturn, but the median bread n butter 2-4 bedroom SFHs will do just fine.

If I'm not mistaken housing only deviated massively from the CPI over the past 20-30 years.

Now factor in what will have to happen to interest rates to get control over inflation (hint: we're still way too low) and look at the macroeconomic situation of the United States (needs to default to get a handle on things). Values could easily take a pretty big hit.