Unreal waves for regular humans

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
It's crazy how much mileage Craig got off of that one wave and sold thousands of Hypto Kryptos when he was out of position, took off on the shoulder, and riding the wrong board.

Reactions: Havoc and 000

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I would have paddled out, but you know, last night there was this problem with the room, breakfast was something I'm allergic to, I left my leash behind on accident...I'm just going to hang out in the boat for a minute and wait for it to get really good. Conserve my energy.

Reactions: santacruzin and VaB

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Sucks we don't have reef passes that break like that in CA.

That would really get the heart beating especially after a wipeout when you're immediately concerned with the next waves mowing you down. I love a good game of 'how far away from the channel do I sit'. :jamon:

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Looks insanely expensive, miserable travel distance from the Lower 48, and at least based on youtube, the people that go there could ruin any lineup.

Maybe if you got a booking at a place that doesn't allow people from other resorts and you booked it the week Scuba Surgeons Magazine took their trip, AND you got a swell, okay.

Otherwise it looks like a great way to spend 4-6k or more for 4-6 foot or less with all the crowd fun of Swamis or Malibu.
But with Israelis AND Brazzos.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
haha - most of us would get smoked on that left - notice the turbulence in the tube - Anderson is barely hanging on

the end section is heavy

How many of you have seen a wave that size rifling down a shallow reef?

I still remember Fresno Ripper showing up to Nias and seeing it 8 ft and saying - wow lot different in person - this is nuts

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Israelis not allowed in Indo -
My friends went on a boat tour in the Maldives and said the lineups were swarming with them -- zero concern with surf etiquette, heinous drop-ins to over the falls, snowballing every set . . .

• Sad
Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
haha - most of us would get smoked on that left - notice the turbulence in the tube - Anderson is barely hanging on

the end section is heavy

I still remember Fresno Ripper showing up to Nias and seeing it 8 ft and saying - wow lot different in person - this is nuts
Agree 100%. Even just being out in sh!t like that would be scary, let alone trying to paddle for one. I would die of fear hahaa

Have you surfed big Kandui @Truth ?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Any spot that the pros call No Canduey on certain days is probably not suited for regular people.

Reactions: Driftcoast

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
When I was 25 and invincible, yeah I would have gone out. Now that I am a feeble old man, no way. I would just be a hazard to everybody else up until the moment the ocean kills me.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Any spot that the pros call No Canduey on certain days is probably not suited for regular people.
it was No Kanduis until the OP Mentawai Pro, where AI, BI, Occy, and some others showed it was Kandui.

I surfed it on a small day and hit the reef so hard, I thought I broke my foot. Hideaways is scary, too. Kandui left and Rifles are two of the fastest/heaviest waves in the Ments.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site

the end section is heavy

It's that end section that makes it so gnarly. It's pretty easy to surf perfect reef waves that end in a nice channel up to and over 3xOH. Not so much when they have a small exit window before it goes completely dry reef. In my 20s - late 40s, I'd probably have a dig. Today, probably not.... Lances Left would be more my speed on a day like the video.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
It's interesting so far that the "wouldn't go" crowd is diverging at drop is doable/end section is a no go, and drop is an elevator looking easy because of the channel view.

I only watched the video once when I shared it, and by the end had forgotten about how heavy the first few minutes are. There are parts of the video where I would go try it, and much of it where I wouldn't. Unless I wouldn't at any size, you can never tell from a video. Looks warm and clean though, that's nice.