The Official OBSF Support Group

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
Yeah, I was gonna gripe about the boats too. I'm pretty sure I'm one of the little dots you can see in that clip -- I was hanging around ortega for the most part with just a few people while most were north of there. I've seen them do exercises in the surf at different places but only at obsf do they get so close. There's so much open beachbreak between sloat and pacifica with similar peaks but empty, it seems unnecessary for them to do that.

One time last winter I was surfing an outer sandbar with just one other guy out and they were like trying to push us off the sandbar, getting closer and closer to us as we both tried to not let them do that.

Kinda weird morning, I had a great weekend, and sunday evening I felt like I was ripping on an undersized board, waves were coming right to me. This morning I cruised out but wasn't finding the good ones, putting my feet in the wrong place, seeing big boat wakes in the face messed with my head even when they weren't there, just didn't have the mojo. Caught a few short-walled ones then got stuck inside by a set and absolutely dragged in.

Last edited:

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
The boats motored full throttle prob 50 yards from the main crowd at about lawton, then they went down just south of pacheco where to be fair there wasn't everyone, but there definitely were wakes making their way north.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
My buddy used to work the Golden Gate CG Station, but he works the SF station now.. He said it was probably the GG Crew.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
That's completely fuvked. Those diesel fumes are no joke and neither is the wake though it doesn't seem to be effecting it the surf from this view. I would be pissed if I was out.

@Woke AF what part of the beach was that?

@Mr Doof sorry to hear you didn't get out. Looked pretty doable this AM but as we all know, looks can be deceiving.

@bluengreen see you out there tomorrow am :shaka: also couldn't get out there today.
The current premium spot. You know it. The first boat stayed there awhile and then joined the other boat at Noriega, in the video. They were sitting as close as 10 yards off the pack.

• Wow
Reactions: Boneroni

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Those Coasties in the surf boats are badass motherfuckers.
And what we're looking at is some kind of a training exercise? The point is to practice being caught inside? Cuz it look like the boat was hardly moving, could have made it out if it wanted to.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
And what we're looking at is some kind of a training exercise? The point is to practice being caught inside? Cuz it look like the boat was hardly moving, could have made it out if it wanted to.
Training for worst cases. Also you want to go as slow as possible to punch through(maintain headway) to avoid hard landing which can damage boat and injure crew.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Training for worst cases. Also you want to go as slow as possible to punch through(maintain headway) to avoid hard landing which can damage boat and injure crew.
So it's better to let the wave start to break, punch through the foam rather than accelerate up the face. So in other words, you really don't want to get air.
Huh, that goes against all my instincts :drowning:
bet somebody on board, or the ship cam itself has some gnarly footage

Reactions: Boneroni

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
So it's better to let the wave start to break, punch through the foam rather than accelerate up the face. So in other words, you really don't want to get air.
Yep, air is bad. These boats have alot of mass to punch through and are ballasted to pop up like a cork.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Sounds like it is time to repost......

it is my understanding the that hull cracked and there were some injuries.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

They are out there fairly regularly throughout the year either doing heli pick ups or boating exercises. There is some footage of them in other heavy beachbreak rivermouth setups too (Russian River, etc). Gotta do it. I'd imagine most CG Rescues are NOT happening in friendly seas. Just a bummer that all the other conditions lined up for surfing as well.

I confirmed with my CG friend. He said he is happy he doesn't have to do that anymore.