The Official OBSF Support Group

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
There was flooding today at Santa Cruz harbor because of the tsunami surge. I can see myself freaking out if I got pulled way out passed the rock on a surge. I find it comforting to see the coast guard helicopter do its fly by on occasion especially when I get caught on those nasty rips out around Pacheco and I get that feeling I won't be able to catch a wave in, but have to wear it on my head and let myself get dragged in instead. Then you get stuck in that inside bowl backwash that just keeps pounding you back out as low tide approaches and it starts dredging up the sand in middle bar and you know you are going to break another $1000 board. OBSF PTSD support group.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Ya.
The tsunami was a factor down in Santa Cruz and other places. Combine that with a high tide and there were some definite issues.

Kelly's might've felt it a little bit with the extra water sloshing around but I think the 8-10 foot West swell was probably a bigger factor at OB... People would've been in trouble either way. That being said, there were about 5 guys on it at low tide when it was off it's face yesterday.

Dummies down in Santa Cruz running their High School contest despite the warnings look pretty bad.

Reactions: Driftcoast

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
the rescue was at 3pm per that article. I was in the water (in the middle of the beach, not kelly's) at 3pm. There were no tsunami "storm surges" but there was enough swell that there probably was the block-wide rip up at kellys that you'd expect.

Last edited:
Reactions: bluengreen

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
the rescue was at 3pm per that article. I was in the water (in the middle of the beach, not kelly's) at 3pm. There were no tsunami "storm surges" but there was enough swell that there probably was the block-wide rip up at kellys that you'd expect.

Sounds about right.
As I was unloading boards into my house today, I had a neighbor ask me if I had the opportunity to "ride some of the tsunami conditions" the other day. Pretty funny. Reminded me of when my grandpa would ask "how were the breakers?".

Seems like the typical non surfer over reach combined with some "I hope this scares these idiots enough to stay away". But I understand where you are coming from.

Reactions: Tarab_ish

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
I was training with our technical rescue team at our local beach where a bunch of surfers were camping out and the surf was absolutely pumping when the warning went out for the tsunami. Our fearless leaders ran down to warn the crew on the beach...the reaction was as I predicted...yawn, lemme finish my coffee...

Reactions: Tarab_ish

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
What a stretch of waves we've had this last week. Looks like the run is finally going to come to an end tomorrow.

Hope everyone got their fill. My arms and shoulders are noodles. Was pulling into absolute sheet glass shacks this evening.

I think the highlight session was the low tide on Saturday afternoon. Some of the heaviest grinders I've ever seen as OB.

Glad to be getting a break finallly. I'm toast and I think I broke a toe this evening.

P.s. tons of kooks paddling out of the north end of the beach this swell. Surprised there weren't more rescues.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
This morning: denied.

I blame:

A Wrong spot
B Bad timing
C Last few days of multi-hour surfs
D Age/fitness
E Size

Looks like one of those days. Kinda raw and unforgiving on the morning low. Doesn't have the higher tide "softening" where they lose a lot of force after they break, instead they just DRAG you.

I surfed yesterday morning and it was a far tamer affair. The hundreds of people out made that pretty clear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Doof

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Looks so good on the cams this am. Soooo walled here.
A+ waves today. Big open barrels and nasty wipe outs. Saw more than one person come in seriously rattled. A lot of people having a hard time getting into waves.

Yesterday was really fun. Low expectations, waves looked shitty, crowded. Many pocket tubes on the inner and outer bar on the Vaquero.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Couldn't fit surfing into my schedule today, but will give it a go tomorrow.

Yeah, looks lully on the cams, but brutal if you find yourself in the wrong spot. You'll either have an easy paddle or get denied in the rudest of ways. Up to the gods.

Reactions: rice

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Talked with a local charger who looked like he just crawled out of a washing machine.
He said he tried to paddle out at the pro's choice spot and got stuck between the inner and outer bar in a whirlpool for 2 long period sets back to back. Wouldn't let him go forward sideways or back. He took it all on the head. Limped back in to try a little further North and easy paddle to the best barrel in years.

IMG_1873.jpegIMG_1872.jpegIMG_1868.jpeg

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
^they pulled up when I was watching. Two boats sat right on the pack/peak, driving back and forth fcking up the glassy conditions. Weird, they had 3 miles to pick a spot and... :toilet:

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
That's completely fuvked. Those diesel fumes are no joke and neither is the wake though it doesn't seem to be effecting it the surf from this view. I would be pissed if I was out.

@Woke AF what part of the beach was that?

@Mr Doof sorry to hear you didn't get out. Looked pretty doable this AM but as we all know, looks can be deceiving.

@bluengreen see you out there tomorrow am :shaka: also couldn't get out there today.