The Official OBSF Support Group

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Yeah, looking epic again. That late morning/early afternoon window is going to be bonkers. I'm tied up with work all day. Hope you guys score.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
It's definitely bigger than yesterday (or swell direction has shifted) but not as clean. Beaches are swamped and deep water reefs are looking a bit wonky. If wind cleans up it could be a another epic day. Otherwise, may be time to drive south a bit.

Mavs looks smaller on the cam.

Reactions: Woke AF

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
It's definitely bigger than yesterday (or swell direction has shifted) but not as clean. Beaches are swamped and deep water reefs are looking a bit wonky. If wind cleans up it could be a another epic day. Otherwise, may be time to drive south a bit.

Mavs looks smaller on the cam.
Looks bigger on a couple sets and smaller overall, IMHO. Some seriously wonky waves coming through at weird angles. Watched a few eat some serious sht and one guy have a 30 minute paddle.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
The crazy thing, the outer bar waves have been surfed before, by paddling all the way out there. There is a no jet-ski rule for Ocean Beach otherwise I think you'd see tow teams out there like Mavericks.

1642018162831.png

1642018336285.png

1642018374279.png

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
OB surf report for today: Smaller, cleaner, and better IMO. Some of the sets were basically just as tall as yesterday, but they were less common and moving much slower. Some of the waves were really wide or really peaky, probably due to all the west in the swell (true 270 degrees). But overall I'd call it a solid, clean big OB day.

Super surprised, but there was almost nobody out all day. Where the hell did everyone go? Surfed with just a handful of guys... kind of like it was 10 years ago. Got a nice barrel on my last wave. Walked up the sand and some guy came up to me to commend me on the showing. Always a nice feeling. Could be one last round tomorrow AM but not holding my breath.

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
I guess I'll save it for the surf journal thread but surfed 4.5 hours today, mostly around lawton. Caught a bunch of fun drops/corners. Then had just paddled down to pacheco and got a sick long walled one then broke my leash trying to line up another.

Yeah I agree, where was everyone? it got a bit cramped in the middle of the beach because there was a small area where the lateral current wasn't ripping, but, damn. Probably the combination of a few weeks of marginal surf, then lots of people got the flu or mild covid from the holidays and then weren't feeling up for the cardio? I know I was feeling a bit nervous before yesterday. I pretty much struck out yesterday -- paddled around for two hours, caught one wave then got caught inside and lit up and went in.

Last edited:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Was also quite empty around here. There was a morning funk that seemed to never go away and with cloud cover, totally different vibe than yesterday and waves were bigger. Swell direction definitely shifted overnight I think.

My theory is everyone got their fill of beatdowns yesterday, and since we've been flat, everyone out of shape for the big stuff + omicron seems to be spreading pretty fast. Quite a few friends are feeling like crap right now with flu-like symptoms. And middle of weak so maybe people had family / work things to do. I was really surprised one of my favorite reefs only had 3 guys on it.

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
Lmao what the hell are "surge waves" Are those the things that create "undertows"?

It's very annoying to me that the fire department is acting like it's the result of the tsunami and not the ordinary situation of either weird accident and/or kook getting in over their head.

Last edited: