Pipe lifeguard gives haole kooks a beat it order

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
So many of these videos don't tell the whole story - I think the episode is usually at least halfway over by the time the camera bearer decides to start filming. I can't draw any conclusion from most of them.
Or even worse the majority of the incident is filmed and then edited to support a specific narrative.

Reactions: Havoc

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Did the video get removed or edited? I read four pages of this is too much from a civil servant blah blah on the erBB, I click the OP link, and I saw some funboarders get told they're not fucking ready for Pipe.

I'd expect a fucking thermonuclear how dare you not lick my boots the first time response from a civil servant, complete with a corn-fed sweat tea version of Dog the Bounty Hunter basically doing the basketball court fight-picking routine, chest bump arms spread WHAT THE FUCK power trip.

That was practically an ass-kissing. What's the NS lifeguard equivalent of chocolates and flowers? Plate lunch and some pakalolo? Someone other than Subway set up the paypal.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Obviously, cops can be huge assholes, but they can afford to be because they have real power. A lifeguard doesn't have any power at all, and to pose as though they do is kinda stupid and overly self-aggrandizing.
The lifeguard has responsibility for his water, and you can't have responsibility for something without having at least limited authority over it and the power to exercise that authority. Physically, he has the power to save the haoles or hold them under until they drown. Mentally, he has the power to choose either course of action or simply let nature take its course. Also, if you put the lifeguard into the Thunderdome with the haoles, who do you think is coming back out?

So you see, my friend, he has real power. The main thing checking his power is his conscience and the smothering feminized blanket they call the coconut wireless which influences Karen the DA.

• Haha
Reactions: racer1

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
The lifeguard has responsibility for his water, and you can't have responsibility for something without having at least limited authority over it and the power to exercise that authority. Physically, he has the power to save the haoles or hold them under until they drown. Mentally, he has the power to choose either course of action or simply let nature take its course. Also, if you put the lifeguard into the Thunderdome with the haoles, who do you think is coming back out?

So you see, my friend, he has real power. The main thing checking his power is his conscience and the smothering feminized blanket they call the coconut wireless which influences Karen the DA.
What are you talking about, lifeguards have no legal authority, and as you seem to suggest yourself, they don’t even have support from those (such as a DA) with real power.

You don’t need to be a lifeguard to murder someone.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
What are you talking about, lifeguards have no legal authority, and as you seem to suggest yourself, they have no support from those (such as a DA) with real power.

You don’t need to be a lifeguard to murder someone.
You don't understand power and the mutual obligations reinforcing it. FYI Karens like to squawk about legal authority. Would you like to speak to my manager?

• Haha
Reactions: Swallow Tail

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
You don't understand power and the mutual obligations reinforcing it. FYI Karens like to squawk about legal authority. Would you like to speak to my manager?
You don’t seem to understand what a Karen is. I’m saying the lifeguard is a power trip’n dick, and if it were me I’d ignore him, because he has no real power. You get it now?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
If I flew all the way to Hawaii, specifically to surf Pipe, you bet your ass I'd be paddling out, regardless. Wouldn't waste that opportunity of a lifetime. But I'd also have a freshly shaped 6-9" rounded pintail under my arm with some JJF fins, not some JOB wavestorm. :roflmao:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I’m saying the lifeguard is a power trip’n dick, You get it now?
We have a lot of proof to the contrary and that we didn't get the whole story from the video.

and if it were me I’d ignore him, because he has no real power.
I can tell how some of you look based on the way you write.

If I flew all the way to Hawaii, specifically to surf Pipe, you bet your ass I'd be paddling out, regardless. Wouldn't waste that opportunity of a lifetime. But I'd also have a freshly shaped 6-9" rounded pintail under my arm with some JJF fins, not some JOB wavestorm. :roflmao:
So you'd show up with real equipment looking the part and wouldn't get hassled.

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
So many of these videos don't tell the whole story - I think the episode is usually at least halfway over by the time the camera bearer decides to start filming. I can't draw any conclusion from most of them.
Let me clarify by saying I think that usually the person who may seem to be acting out of line or irrationally in the last 50% or less of the episode which was all that was filmed might be seen to be fully justified if the whole thing soup to nuts could be seen. And if you think about the length of delay for an unalerted bystander to start filming - there's the whole seeing something happen, then it's over - oh wait maybe its not over - no it's over - oops oh sh*t stuffs about to kick off let me get my phone out of my bag and hit the camera app - oops - just took a pic - need video not just picture - hit the button again.... We may only be getting the tail end 25%.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
:ROFLMAO: I don’t sound like a misogynist idiot so I must look like…
Males accusing men of misogyny is another tell. To women, you approaching them is misogyny.

I'll tell you what. Ain't nobody tell you nuffin, boy. You do whatever you want unless someone with REAL POWER like Karen the DA comes down and tells you to stop.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
A little story which at the time I didn't think funny. I'm living in the Cook Islands. French guy from Tahiti is doing business with my "new Boss" Boss yanks me out of bed and say's his Friend is going to drown if I don't save him.
"What? Call the lifeguards"
WE don't have any lifeguards here.You surf, Peter. You can swim. Locals don't go out beyond the reef.
"Get a boat"
Locals don't own boats
"WTF?"
I grab my fins and we jump in the car. Find out Frenchie went spear fishing and can't get back in through the passage. Locals standing on the beach with three police officers, just all talking Maori. Brent, my boss asks where Frenchie is and they all point out towards the passage opening. (I've told the story before here) I see the guy at the mouth opening, just hanging out. His arms, come out of the water and waves, with spear gun in hand, the local Cook Islanders, with intense, comical, jubilation, ALL wave back in unison, along with Rarotonga's finest, and laugh and begin speaking the local Maori gibberish as they all continue to watch Frenchie at the opening of the passage way.

I swam out and pulled "Gerard" over the reef on the backs of incoming waves and got him to the beach.

:roflmao:
Pipe Lifeguard, could have pulled the local Rarotongan "wave n laugh" ~ ??
and btw ... phuck Karen. She's not on the beach having to pull the donkey's back to shore After they were told not to enter the water OR local surfer, just trying to do the "right thing" AND, putting themselves in danger.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
A “Karen” can be both oppressor and oppressed. Obviously, an anonymous poster commenting on a forum that a lifeguard is being a dick is not speaking from a position of imagined privilege, and it will have no consequences of any kind for the lifeguard (no one is asking to talk to the manager), so to use the term in this context is being done in a purely oppressive way. It’s meant to demean opposition to the popular view. Fine, who gives a fuck. But it does show a habit of using the term in that manner, using it oppressively, and being that it’s typically used against women, indicates a misogynistic tendency.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Imagine the parents with daughters named Karen right now. Got to be considering a name change at this point. Or worse, parents with a son named Karen.

• Haha
Reactions: PJ, Havoc and PRCD

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I actually have a sister named Karen, and though she's good at being able to make me feel shitty about myself at times, she's not a Karen Karen.