Pipe lifeguard gives haole kooks a beat it order

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
They shouldn’t have needed to be told more than once. They shouldn’t have needed to be told the first time but kids these days...

I can see that job being as momentarily asshole puckering as anything on the planet.
Every job that has to deal with the pubic now.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
They shouldn’t have needed to be told more than once. They shouldn’t have needed to be told the first time but kids these days...

I can see that job being as momentarily asshole puckering as anything on the planet.
Yep, no matter how much you train or how good of shape you're in, swimming in to the impact zone at Pipe is risky for all involved. And like someone else said the kook you are now rescuing after you told him to stay out of the water could be distracting you from another situation that needs attention. Could be a pro surfer who needs help, could be a kid getting pulled off the beach. I do not envy the NS lifeguard's job when it's big and dangerous.

Although from what I have been told the most stressful place to guard is Hanauma Bay. Just a bunch of visitors floating face down staring at the reef. The lifeguards watch people to make sure they move, but sometime people are so still the lifeguards run down to check on them and end up scaring the sh!t out of some poor tourist mesmerized by view. Makes for a long day.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I was referring to the pervasive level of recalcitrance.

I would think the rescue aspect of the job would be the fun part.
Until it isn’t. Then you’re betting lives. Adrenaline rush for sure, but like lots of stuff at that particular place plenty can go wrong in seconds.

He could have said nothing, pointed to a couple of brahs on da beach for an attitude adjustment assignment, and for sure they’d have learned their lesson and moved to Arizona.

• Haha
Reactions: PJ

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
doesn't refusing an evac order means you're on your own, by default? that there will be no one to come back for you, if things go south for you?

have chosen to disregard several GTFO orders over the years from imminent hurricanes and always did so with the understanding that there will be no emergency services available after last call.
Pretty much..........but I also have a conscience.
And I took a job knowing there are inherent risks.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Until it isn’t. Then you’re betting lives. Adrenaline rush for sure, but like lots of stuff at that particular place plenty can go wrong in seconds.

He could have said nothing, pointed to a couple of brahs on da beach for an attitude adjustment assignment, and for sure they’d have learned their lesson and moved to Arizona.
But the high stakes makes the excitement of the work?

Yes, rules are different in Hawaii.

I get that.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
So when they tell you don’t go out and you ignore them, they get testy. They want to go home to their families too. So let’s give them as much room to get angry as, say, just hypothetically… you would if someone continually walked their dog past your house.
Unless Mussels is a professional neighborhood dog cop and employed in that capacity as a public servant, he's not being hypocritical.

Obviously, cops can be huge assholes, but they can afford to be because they have real power. A lifeguard doesn't have any power at all, and to pose as though they do is kinda stupid and overly self-aggrandizing.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Do you always keep an even temper? Even when a student is acting like a punk ass?
My first semester teaching, a student threatened to kick my ass in the hallway after class if I didn't give him a handout.

I was really sick of his sh!t, so I threw down my briefcase and said, "Ok, kick my ass, you motherfooker." I was going to let him hit me and then I was going to fight.

He backed down and dropped the class.

But if we would have fought I would have got fired.

But I didn't care. I just wanted to beat the sh!t out of the kid.

Now I would just give him the handout.

I was much more of a hot head when I was younger.

I use to gaze out at my students and think, I'm pretty sure I could kick everyone's ass.

Now most of my students could probably kick my ass. :dancing::trout:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
You guys go from complaining about the haole to complaining that he isn't being coddled enough. I don't get it. Does the haole with the butt cut belong to one of you? Is he your pet haole?

Thank God I did this job before the iPhone.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Unless Mussels is a professional neighborhood dog cop and employed in that capacity as a public servant, he's not being hypocritical.

Obviously, cops can be huge assholes, but they can afford to be because they have real power. A lifeguard doesn't have any power at all, and to pose as though they do is kinda stupid and overly self-aggrandizing.
It's Hawaii, Karen. Different set of rules than the cove at C Street.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
After 24 years in the fire service, I'll still put myself in harm's way for the welfare of the public, but I'm looking to minimize risk. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If I have to light some kook up with a stern approach to avoid having to put my life at risk because they didn't listen the first time when I was being diplomatic.........I'll do it.
The stern part is fine.

It was the lifeguard taking the tough guy attitude after about 20 seconds that most people have issues with. And I'm certainly not the only one who thinks so because a lot of professional lifeguards agree.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Man a while back they’d have gotten cracked and choked out while the lifeguarda watched. Now you want to crucify the guy? What a world…

Reactions: PRCD

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
I was referring to the pervasive level of recalcitrance.

I would think the rescue aspect of the job would be the fun part.
Gotcha. well, I'm sure the guys in that vid googled Pipe extensively before they attempted to paddle out. they probably should have mentioned that to the lifeguard, to ease his concerns.

• Haha
Reactions: Swallow Tail and PJ

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I know the type of dude the lifeguard is.

The guys were easy targets to bully. Skinny fat haoles from the mainland.

I would bet my house if it was some 6’3 250 lb moke covered in tattoos he wouldn’t have started lipping.

Remember- it’s the part after many people are saying is wrong.

Telling them sternly to not go out is fine. After the stop and then yelling at them how you’re a lifeguard and they gotta listen is wrong and incorrect no matter how you look.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Man a while back they’d have gotten cracked and choked out while the lifeguarda watched. Now you want to crucify the guy? What a world…
Why? If I wasn’t expected to save the dudes I’d have just watched the show. I’m assuming it was big that day.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
When I look at this stuff, I think about outcomes and methods.

Was he effective? Yes. The guys didn't go in the water.

Could he have been more efficient and still be effective? Yes.

Efficiency is important for longetivty.

In the short term, it don't matter.

Reactions: tacos and keenfish