Has Chris Rock been canceled?

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I'm not telling anyone that they should get offended.
You can be indifferent about it.
I mean, you've never been degraded and spat on like trans people traditionally have been so I'd understand if you're not offended.

I'm just saying that discrediting how people who are the targets of his comments feel, is not cool.

I know "feelings" is a bad word and all but it's kinda important.
I mean look at this forum and all the feelz.

And again, there's nothing we should not joke about but CONTEXT is everything.
Yes, context is everything
And cancel culture sometimes ignores that

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
I mean, you've never been degraded and spat on like trans people traditionally have been so I'd understand if you're not offended.

I'm just saying that discrediting how people who are the targets of his comments feel, is not cool.

as a jew growing up in southern oc, i was degraded on the reg. i can still laugh at a jewish joke just like my gaybgtq+/black/brown/yellow friends can still laugh at an ethnic joke. its a joke.

these comedians are basically acting. playing a persona. do we cancel actors who play Nazis on TV/Movies. should they deny those roles for fear of backlash later? Cancel Ed Norton for American History X? What if an actor who accepts a role to play a queer person but in a dergatory or stereotypical way? Cancel them, the writer, the director, the film studio? Its such a slippery slope.

I watched the special last night. it was hilarious.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
DC got his feelings hurt for being misunderstood.

His thesis is gays get a bigger bang for their buck playing the victim than black people.

I don't know if this is true.

He thinks it.

If it's true can he say it?

You really get a sense of him having his feelings hurt by what he thinks is unfair treatment and that makes it hard to be funny.

If you do taboo humor is better be fucking funny.

• Love
Reactions: plasticbertrand

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Yes, context is everything
And cancel culture sometimes ignores that
100% agree. Sometimes.

I always like to bring Louis CK because there's everything in his standup that wokesters should get offended about but he's never received any flack for it (if you don't count phone masturbation but that wasn't an act).

He's been using all the trigger words, every single one of them.
Yet he never got "canceled" because context and because he's not punching down - he's making fun of himself and people who use those words in a derogatory way.
There's a difference.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Now look at the quote you responded to, moron.
Except yesterday you argued against how several of us who actually watched the special interpreted DCs comments and came to the same exact conclusion, while you were going off of an NPR article :trout: :roflmao:

Holy fook, just shut up with your interpretation of something that you didn't even to bother to watch.

• Dislike
Reactions: plasticbertrand

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
DC got his feelings hurt for being misunderstood.

His thesis is gays get a bigger bang for their buck playing the victim than black people.

I don't know if this is true.

He thinks it.

If it's true can he say it?

You really get a sense of him having his feelings hurt by what he thinks is unfair treatment and that makes it hard to be funny.

If you do taboo humor is better be fucking funny.
Nailed it. Thanks you.

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020

You may have missed the part where I said I was Jewish? In junior high I was regularly degraded, made fun of for being a Jew, made the punchline in jokes just b/c of my religion; I was literally bullied for being a Jew. That was pretty degrading. Especially for a 12-13 year old. By your logic, since I have been degraded, I should be offended by Dave Chapelle's trans/gay/etc. jokes. But I'm not. If I thought there was malice intended in his jokes, I would likely be offended. Since I'm not picking up on any malice, but more of a commentary on current events, I'm not particularly offended. To each their own.

Last edited:
Reactions: npsp and grapedrink

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I just think that people should stop taking themselves so seriously, and learn to laugh about themselves a bit more. I have learned to do that, and it has made my life much better.
That's like telling people to stop being obese instead of getting the vaccine.

There will always be obese people, so that can't be the solution.

Unless you don't care if they die.

(it's an analogy, don't @ me :poop: )

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
You may have missed the part where I said I was Jewish? In junior high I was regularly degraded, made fun of for being a Jew, made the punchline in jokes just b/c of my religion; I was literally bullied for being a Jew. That was pretty degrading. Especially for a 12-13 year old. By your logic, since I have been degraded, I should be offended by Dave Chapelle's trans/gay/etc. jokes. But I'm not. If I thought there was malice intended in his jokes, I would likely be offended. Since I'm not picking up on any malice, but more of a commentary on current events, I'm not particularly offended. To each their own.
He did some Jew jokes too.

How are you holding up?

Be brave!

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
the dedication to Norm at the end made me really sad

I like Dave's delivery because he plays off that same pregnant pause and deadpan delivery that people like Norm, Stephen Wright, Mitch Hedberg, etc had

very timing-centric and depends on a lot of conversational sleight of hand...kind of lulling you in to forgetting that a punch line is building

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
it's amazing how completely people whinging about the LGBTQ content are missing the point
He crafted a carefully designed volta at the end.

But that don't matter no more.

People just get triggered when they hear trigger words.

You can't really do juvenalian satire anymore without triggering some people.

It's becomes and excuse to assert.

I rarely think any standup is funny.

But that could be envy on my part.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Some people are rarely/never offended.

Some people are occasionally offended.

Some people are perpetually offended.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
It’s a sad day when a black man is subjected infringement on his right to freedom of speech.