Has Chris Rock been canceled?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
No but Dave Chapelle is.

His specials are all still on Netflix so, no, not cancelled.

Meanwhile a white dude who dresses in a version of blackface (womanface) who is the showrunner for a series about race relations at an Ivy League college from the black perspective quit the show (and Netflix) because he’s angry about a black man’s opinion/jokes.

I’ll give her credit for having the balls to quit. We’ll see how long that lasts.

Reactions: Havoc

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Elements have been trying to cancel DC for a few years now. And failing. Will this time be any different?

From Rolling Stone-

"Dave Chappelle was greeted with a standing ovation from his fellow celebrities during the screening of his Untitled: Dave Chappelle Documentary, despite the recent controversy over his Netflix stand-up comedy special, The Closer. The comedian has received criticism about the special, which some critics say contains transphobic material.

“If this is what being canceled is like, I love it,” he said on Thursday night at the Hollywood Bowl, The Hollywood Reporter reports. He also went further, calling out specific outlets during the night: “Fuck Twitter. Fuck NBC News, ABC News, all these stupid ass networks. I’m not talking to them. I’m talking to you. This is real life.”

One of Chappelle’s offending lines in The Closer is: “Gender is a fact. Every human being in this room, every human being on Earth, had to pass through the legs of a woman to be on Earth. That is a fact.” In the special, Chappelle also waded into the controversy surrounding DaBaby, who was criticized for his homophobic remarks at the Rolling Loud festival and subsequently removed from several festival dates. Chappelle said that he wanted to “negotiate the release of DaBaby” with the LGBTQ community. He then went on to question why DaBaby was canceled for his homophobic comments rather than for shooting a man in the past."

The punchline on DaBaby was something like,

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Elements have been trying to cancel DC for a few years now. And failing. Will this time be any different?

From Rolling Stone-

"Dave Chappelle was greeted with a standing ovation from his fellow celebrities during the screening of his Untitled: Dave Chappelle Documentary, despite the recent controversy over his Netflix stand-up comedy special, The Closer. The comedian has received criticism about the special, which some critics say contains transphobic material.

“If this is what being canceled is like, I love it,” he said on Thursday night at the Hollywood Bowl, The Hollywood Reporter reports. He also went further, calling out specific outlets during the night: “fook Twitter. fook NBC News, ABC News, all these stupid ass networks. I’m not talking to them. I’m talking to you. This is real life.”

One of Chappelle’s offending lines in The Closer is: “Gender is a fact. Every human being in this room, every human being on Earth, had to pass through the legs of a woman to be on Earth. That is a fact.” In the special, Chappelle also waded into the controversy surrounding DaBaby, who was criticized for his homophobic remarks at the Rolling Loud festival and subsequently removed from several festival dates. Chappelle said that he wanted to “negotiate the release of DaBaby” with the LGBTQ community. He then went on to question why DaBaby was canceled for his homophobic comments rather than for shooting a man in the past."

I actually think Chappelle went too far in trying explain himself in an effort to appease people who just won’t ever be appeased.

On one of his previous specials he described a situation where someone at Comedy Central told him he couldn’t use the word “faggot” on his show.

He asked why it was ok to say “nigger” but not “faggot” and the person said, “because you’re not gay” to which he responded, “I ain’t no nigger either.”

That was pretty much all the explaining he needed to do.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

From Rolling Stone-

“If this is what being canceled is like, I love it,” he said on Thursday night at the Hollywood Bowl, The Hollywood Reporter reports. He also went further, calling out specific outlets during the night: “fook Twitter. fook NBC News, ABC News, all these stupid ass networks. I’m not talking to them. I’m talking to you. This is real life.”

What was the censored word? Someone thought that it would be offensive?

It was Honkey, wasn’t it.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Nobody is getting canceled, I was being sarky.

But yeah, once your real life bitterness starts leaking into your jokes, you kind of cancelled yourself.
Nobody wants to listen to you whining.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
What was the censored word? Someone thought that it would be offensive?

It was Honkey, wasn’t it.
Are Whitey, cracker, honkey offensive?
I've been call guero (sp).....should I be offended? I don't know what that means

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
On one of his previous specials he described a situation where someone at Comedy Central told him he couldn’t use the word “faggot” on his show.

He asked why it was ok to say “nigger” but not “faggot” and the person said, “because you’re not gay” to which he responded, “I ain’t no nigger either.”

That was pretty much all the explaining he needed to do.
Context context context

Louis CK used both "faggot" and "nigger" all the time and nobody ever complained about him being homophobic or racist.

What DC is doing with his gay "material" is a bit different and that's why people don't like it.

I'll let you guess why.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
DC seems to be able to sell out any venue he cares to.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
That is the good thing for the comedian.

They can take their show on the road.

The internet allows you to send a broad signal.

There are going to be haters in the population.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Context context context

Louis CK used both "faggot" and "nigger" all the time and nobody ever complained about him being homophobic or racist.

What DC is doing with his gay "material" is a bit different and that's why people don't like it.

I'll let you guess why.
Louis CK was in the context of a stand up comedy on a stage.

the situation Chappelle was referring to was in the context of a tv show.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Louis CK was in the context of a stand up comedy on a stage.

the situation Chappelle was referring to was in the context of a tv show.
No, they are both Netflix specials.

Stage or TV, context matters.

The difference is that CK is making fun of himself and DC is lashing out (punching down).