What attribute(s) make longboards turn better?

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
[ A ] Wide point back of center
[ B ] Pulled in tail
[ C ] More tail rocker
[ D ] More Vee
[ E ] It has nothing to do with the board... It's all about the surfer.
[ F ] Add more fins (side bites, nubsters, and quad rears)
Define turn better. What does that mean to you?
[0] Not eat chit on takeoff
[1] Able to redirect
[2] Gain speed
[3] Floater on closeout
[4] Tube stall
[5] Shred the gnar, i.e. show fins out the back
[6] Roundhouse banks off the foam

For me, little bit of [A], used to be [D], definitely [E], [F] helps if you want to do [2] or [5]
[C] usually means more wankiness
[*B] more wankiness. If you ride big ones, this is ok option. Again, define "pulled in". 14.25 works in anything
[A] too much of this, and any rail drive is toast

What you say GG?

Reactions: BentoBox70

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
wide point couple inches back of center, no concave. 60/40 rails transitioning to 70/30. hard edge last 18-24. thinned out tail. light vee. i ride singles. 9-0 to 9-4. dont know about the other thing

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
people might hate me for this one but side bites...

I know its not "pure" or whatever but I liked them. I'm not longboarding to be cool im doing it because I have to lol

Eww. Nothing to do with purity, side bites make longboards track, which is the opposite of turning better. No longboard needs more than one fin, that's what the rails are for.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I wish someone like devon howard would do a video breaking down longboards and design features. I think I'll be in the market next year for a new noserider but it's tough not knowing all the design nuances and committing to a 1200 board.

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
I wish someone like devon howard would do a video breaking down longboards and design features. I think I'll be in the market next year for a new noserider but it's tough not knowing all the design nuances and committing to a 1200 board.
There’s a lot of knowledge freely shared over on jamboards.com on all sorts of longer boards. Worth searching / asking there

Reactions: Aruka

dk1973

OTF status
Jun 11, 2011
Eww. Nothing to do with purity, side bites make longboards track, which is the opposite of turning better. No longboard needs more than one fin, that's what the rails are for.
I disagree I can pump and get more speed with sidebites and also turn with hold.

Bullnutts

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 14, 2004
Hawai'i
Five fin longboard from GG is the fastest long longboard I've ever ridden. It's the kine where you almost fall off the back the first time you ride it cause she just takes off. You don't expect that much speed.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Griffy, we've been over this before.

Hey, you have friends who rip on your 7 fin logs doing airs and off the lips - stoked for you dude. I think it looks stupid and ugly.

Having said that, I will never own a log that isn't a single fin. Not trying to get all Joel Tudor on you - but if you want to rip, why carry all the extra foam around?

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
You're missing the point Griffy -

Hey, at the end of the day, if someone wants to paddle out on a 9 foot+ thruster log and try and surf like they're on a shortboard - have it. I'm speaking from a purely aesthetics view.

Surfing, like carpentry, has always been about bringing the right tool to the job. Does this make sense to you Griffy?