Hawaii- Done

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
You know what's common and predictable?

Hawaii Locals being tough-guy Hawaii locals.
Hating on people who went to private school.
Resenting and rejecting any and all suggestions on how to improve Hawaii.
Maintaining people who are not born in Hawaii cannot be "from Hawaii" - that's just stupid.
Promoting local culture as some kind of superior social system when in fact, it is nothing significant or special in any way.

I am from Hawaii and I did attend a private school - those are facts and while I don't claim them to any degree, there is nothing anyone can do to change them.

You don't like to hear it, but the stretch of coastline from Diamond Head to Ala Moana is ugly, a brutalized remnant of a once-magnificent shoreline, modified for the use of tourists with lava blocks, concrete, and imported sand. Nothing beautiful about it, it is a travesty.

I understand why y'all defend Hawaii and "your" waves from any and all with all you have - when all you have is a group of tiny islands in the middle of the vast, empty North Pacific Ocean, there is nowhere else to go. Hawaii may be an insignificant group of islands in the greater context of The World; but dammit, they are OUR islands and everyone must show us respect, bla bla bla.

With the attitudes on display in this thread, it is apparent - Hawaii will remain a backwater of mediocrity, a military base for Uncle Sam and a playground for tourists, nothing more. A place from which anyone with any talent or ambition must escape, to the mainland or elsewhere and the people left are insular, surly, defensive and display exactly the kind of close-minded attitudes one should NOT have, living in a place of profound geographic isolation.

Hawaii - DONE.

And yes - being a practitioner of things culturally Polynesian is fundamentally incompatible with being a Christian, as pre-contact Hawaiians knew nothing of the Christian religion and the first stage of oppression is to embrace the religious beliefs of the oppressor.

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
Waikiki is easy to bash, but it’ll always be cool to me.

Sure it crowded and developed to near death, but paddle out when there’s some swell, hear the laughter of kids and people learning, feel the Tradewinds blowing, look around at the big blue Pacific with Diamond Head to the East, catch a wave and picture Duke Kahanamoku riding next to you on a 12 foot plank.
During my UH days, I dated a girl who was at UH on a exchange program from University of Massachusetts. She could not figure out how I could live in Waikiki/Honolulu and not get "rock fever". One afternoon, I borrowed a big tandem board from Koko the beachboy, (I am sure that PPK remembers him) and paddled her out to Pop's to tandem a few waves together. About an hour into the session, she said that being out there and looking back at the shore, she now understood my affection for Waikiki. The crowds and hustle of Waikiki seems to fade once one is out in the water. Still no place like it for me.
Ironically, growing up I would always tell my Dad how much I loved this place. He would laugh and tell me, "You should have seen it when I was your age". Came to pass, that my Son would tell me how much he loved Waikiki and I found my self saying the same words that my Dad said to me, "You should have seen it when I was your age" . First time, I started laugh and realized that I sounded like my Dad. Now that I have a Grandson, time will tell if the love our Ohana has for Waikiki is passed to the newest generation.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
And yes - being a practitioner of things culturally Polynesian is fundamentally incompatible with being a Christian, as pre-contact Hawaiians knew nothing of the Christian religion and the first stage of oppression is to embrace the religious beliefs of the oppressor.
What does this even mean?

You literally go around the world exploiting indigenous people and then claim whack stories about how they thank you for it.

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
People seem to hate Kihei for some reason. I don’t understand why. It’s a nice place.
My first memories of Kihei are that about the only thing down there was the pig farm. The Grandfather of my Wife always regretted passing up the chance to buy some land there. He thought it would never be anything but Kiawe.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
You know what's common and predictable?

Hawaii Locals being tough-guy Hawaii locals.
Hating on people who went to private school.
Resenting and rejecting any and all suggestions on how to improve Hawaii.
Maintaining people who are not born in Hawaii cannot be "from Hawaii" - that's just stupid.
Promoting local culture as some kind of superior social system when in fact, it is nothing significant or special in any way.

I am from Hawaii and I did attend a private school - those are facts and while I don't claim them to any degree, there is nothing anyone can do to change them.

You don't like to hear it, but the stretch of coastline from Diamond Head to Ala Moana is ugly, a brutalized remnant of a once-magnificent shoreline, modified for the use of tourists with lava blocks, concrete, and imported sand. Nothing beautiful about it, it is a travesty.

I understand why y'all defend Hawaii and "your" waves from any and all with all you have - when all you have is a group of tiny islands in the middle of the vast, empty North Pacific Ocean, there is nowhere else to go. Hawaii may be an insignificant group of islands in the greater context of The World; but dammit, they are OUR islands and everyone must show us respect, bla bla bla.

With the attitudes on display in this thread, it is apparent - Hawaii will remain a backwater of mediocrity, a military base for Uncle Sam and a playground for tourists, nothing more. A place from which anyone with any talent or ambition must escape, to the mainland or elsewhere and the people left are insular, surly, defensive and display exactly the kind of close-minded attitudes one should NOT have, living in a place of profound geographic isolation.

Hawaii - DONE.

Damn bro. Next time you’re here, I got a Native Hawaiian hug for you. A warm, brown shoulder for you to heal from whatever moke trauma you experienced.

Slide in my DM’s and let’s get cozy.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
I love Honolulu. It's such an awesome city.

JSC, you may not do the god thing, but Punahou molded you in to exact what they wanted to.

Why is it always the well-traveled, rich kid private school wannabe intellectuals that say the most uninformed sh!t? Oh I know, it's because they haven't a single ounce of humility.

Ha'aha'a, it's a Hawaiian value, you were raised here, you should try it

Last edited:

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
make the change you want to see
otherwise no complain
that's the greatest teaching from our kupuna
yah.. why me?
rise up rise hi

It's young ones like the ones below and the keiki behind them that give me the most hope for hawaii

Kahi Pacarro is a Punahou Grad and former big time waikiki real estate developer, so is Meleana James again it's the individual. Some transition and become better many don't and just become a drain of resources.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu4x1kp0RXE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxZDlB1nFmw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epkKxWf0G_Q

Last edited:

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
I love Honolulu. It's such an awesome city.

JSC, you may not do the god thing, but Punahou molded you in to exact what they wanted to.

Why is it always the well-traveled, rich kid private school wannabe intellectuals that say the most uninformed sh!t? Oh I know, it's because they haven't a single ounce of humility.

Ha'aha'a, it's a Hawaiian value, you were raised here, you should try it
I did ask you to post your links when I posted mine - you haven't posted anything, so you must not be a person of any significance or accomplishment at all, true?

• Haha
Reactions: Boneroni

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
mark cunningham was another skinny blonde (nicknamed frosty among the polo boys)
I guess he chose a different path in life with different view of hawaii and its beaches

Other ocean notables included Buster Crabbe, Gerry Lopez and Jeff Hakman, Rap Replinger, Henry Kapono Kaaihue, Nainoa Thompson.

but of then you also have steve case and his cousins and all the missionary and plantation owner decendants(Lorrin Thurston). Barry Obama graduated a couple years (1979) after Steve Case (1976) as did Pierre Omidyar and Peter Ho.

Maybe you went to school with some of them

Reactions: bluemarlin04

Matilija

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 27, 2010
Just wrapping up 12 days in Waikiki, I do it several times a year for work. It’s a tourist sh!t show without question, but still, there is an underlying vibe and beauty that consumes you. I surfed Queens a bunch over the past two weeks (mostly) nothing but good vibes and friendly faces. People having fun. Locals, kooks who can’t surf and transients like me on an 11.0 rental all having fun, it’s really unlike anywhere else. Took my last walk down to the Mai Tai bar tonight for one final drink and enjoyed the sunset followed by a dinner at Hy’s. Happy to be going home, but I’ll always have a soft spot for Waikiki. Especially on someone else’s dime!

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
mark cunningham was another skinny blonde (nicknamed frosty among the polo boys)
I guess he chose a different path in life with different view of hawaii and its beaches

Other ocean notables included Buster Crabbe, Gerry Lopez and Jeff Hakman, Rap Replinger, Henry Kapono Kaaihue, Nainoa Thompson.

but of then you also have steve case and his cousins and all the missionary and plantation owner decendants(Lorrin Thurston). Barry Obama graduated a couple years (1979) after Steve Case (1976) as did Pierre Omidyar and Peter Ho.

Maybe you went to school with some of them
I did - I have not name-dropped anyone previously but yes; Barry was my classmate. That's President Obama for you all.

Everyone called him Barry, no one knew his real name was Barack, ha ha.

Was the only black guy I can recall, but he was basically raised white as his mother was from Kansas and he lived with his white grandmother close to campus. Everyone kind of forgot he was half black anyway.

Very cool guy, we used to invite Barry to go to Outrigger after school and ride tankers with us at Old Man's, but he always had basketball practice -

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
Isn't anyone going to step up and threaten to kick my skinny blonde Punahou haole boy Christian Ethics at Thurston Chapel ass?

In the old days, I could not have gotten away with saying even half of what I have said without receiving several creditable threats of physical violence -

You guys are going soft.

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
20210725_170103.jpg

i surfed head high mailie point from 530 to 830 with 3 guys out...when we left because we were burnt out at 830am the lineup was still head high and empty

then i went to head high threes and surfed another 2 hours from 11 to 1 with 2 guys out..

then I surfed head high kaisers today for 3 hours 430 till dark with 4 guys the whole time...

hawaii not done