What's your favorite edible Brassica? (kale, collards, cabbage, cauliflower, etc.)

What's your favorite edible Brassica? (kale, brocolli, cabbage, etc.)

• Total voters

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
1) Kale - everlasting freshness once rubbed in olive oil and salt.
2) Brussel sprouts - must be roasted with garlic and chilli pepper
3) Broccoli - raw

I eat a lot of these which may explain why my gf always complains about my night farts. I tell her they sound big, but smell sweet.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Cut the brussels sprouts in half, sauté cut side down medium heat in olive oil for maybe 6-8 minutes, then flip over and throw on some salt and sweet balsamic vinegar and cook for another 5 or so minutes. So good.

I don't really care about stinky farts though, so YMMV :shrug:

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Cut the brussels sprouts in half, sauté cut side down medium heat in olive oil for maybe 6-8 minutes, then flip over and throw on some salt and sweet balsamic vinegar and cook for another 5 or so minutes. So good.

I don't really care about stinky farts though, so YMMV :shrug:
I do this but add some good crusty bread chunks (think giant croutons/panzanella) and bacon

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
Kind of suprised about the Brussel sprout love here. They're my favorite but Ive always assumed everyone else hated them.

Reactions: Aruka

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Kind of suprised about the Brussel sprout love here. They're my favorite but Ive always assumed everyone else hated them.
They just got a bad rap back in the day (along with every other veg) because they steaming was the only way anyone ever prepared them. Steamed frozen brussels, gross...olive oil+ salt, roasted or sautéed fucking great

Reactions: Boneroni

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I'm big on broccolini right now

but, but, but....there is absolutely NOTHING as delicious as the feeling
of a sharp knife moving through a stack of collard greens

I chiffonade mine and add them to almost everything I cook and there
is something truly sublime about the feel and sound of the blade moving
through the layers

• Love
Reactions: Aruka

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Wifey makes a great cabbage vinegar/wine thing that we all love/crave.

Very refreshing and doesn't weigh you down as a quick snack.

Recipe?

Cauliflower with cheese sauce. Use welsh cheddar and a Sort of bechamel sauce
Growing up with her mother's cooking was a risky thing for Sweetie-pie.

More than one her mom gave her food poisoning. In fact, years ago the mom-in-law gave us a Campylobacter infection to go along with the Thanksgiving meal. Now it is take out Chinese only for Thanksgiving (if we go there).

Anyway, during her childhood, there was a cauliflower and cheese dish that inflicted such damage, to this day, my wife despises the sight of it, much less the smell. I can't even make it for myself lest the scent waft in her general direction.

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Coliflor. That’s what we eat the most off of your list. Second broccoli. Capeado (light steam, egg white, flour, fry ‘em up, en salsa roja)