*** Official Backpacking Thread ***

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I am doing a long trek in July and my brother got Rae Lakes permits for Sept

I might try to swing a 4 day trip in there somewhere...want to go back and do more
off trail around Mount Johnson and Anna Mills...Boreal Plateau...I think you could
drop down to Kern River from the drainage southwest of Funston Lake.

you could hit the hot springs and then go north...

there is a plateau just south of Kern Point it looks like you could bushwack up on
to to get to Kaweah and Picket Guard

fkn land of the lost sh!t back there...summer homestead somewhere up there

I need to see about resupply at kearsage to cut down on food carry for long route...

Reactions: r32

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I am doing a long trek in July and my brother got Rae Lakes permits for Sept

I might try to swing a 4 day trip in there somewhere...want to go back and do more
off trail around Mount Johnson and Anna Mills...Boreal Plateau...I think you could
drop down to Kern River from the drainage southwest of Funston Lake.

you could hit the hot springs and then go north...

there is a plateau just south of Kern Point it looks like you could bushwack up on
to to get to Kaweah and Picket Guard

fkn land of the lost sh!t back there...summer homestead somewhere up there

I need to see about resupply at kearsage to cut down on food carry for long route...
When are you going to start your own tv show? "Backpacking with Afoaf". Can I be the producer?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
the world def needs more old white dad backpacking videos

I WAS BANNED BY THE WHO. SEE MY ONE WEIRD TRICK FOR SEEING THE CURVE.

• Haha
Reactions: Aruka and r32

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
the main canyon was STUPID. angel's landing was STUPID. the main event is West Rim and
Hop Valley. holy shiitttttttttt
Summer in Zion = get up at 4 AM for hike to top of Angels Landing (I don't think it is Angel's Landing). I did and was only one there. Going down while others are coming up is priceless....the look on their faces went from "Bright and Happy" to "Dour and Sad" the moment they saw me.

Went back to Bright and Happy as soon as I said something like, "It was just me and I'm going, so you have it to yourself."

Didn't bother to tell them I saw about 15 other points of light (headlamps) on the trail below them and moving up fast.

Next time I go, will try Observation Point trail in the early hours to beat the rush.

Last edited:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
east rim was a mess because of a rockslide on trail up and out of main canyon

if I were you, I'd do Lee Pass to Hop Valley

it's bonkers back there

I'm looking at the top of the drainage that is straight east of Kolob Reservoir

you could get in to the very top of the wash there and hike clear down to the Narrows
completely off trail and probably all alone. risk of hitting a dead end, but the map makes
it look like you could work clear down to the main canyon through that system

Reactions: Mr Doof

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Summer in Zion = get up at 4 AM for hike to top of Angels Landing (I think think it is Angel's Landing). I did and was only one there. Going down while others are coming up is priceless....the look on their faces went from "Bright and Happy" to "Dour and Sad" the moment they saw me.

Went back to Bright and Happy as soon as I said something like, "It was just me and I'm going, so you have it to yourself."

Didn't bother to tell them I saw about 15 other points of light (headlamps) on the trail below them and moving up fast.

Next time I go, will try Observation Point trail in the early hours to beat the rush.
I went first shuttle a couple falls ago and basically ran to the top. Same deal when encountering people as I made my way down.

Observation Point is closed from the valley because of a rockslide. The alternative is hiking from either the East Mesa Trailhead or the Stave Spring Trailhead. Most people go from East Mesa, because it's shorter mileage and flatter. But the Stave Spring Trailhead drops you down into a cool canyon, then back up before meeting the East Mesa Trail about a quarter mile from Observation Point. I didn't see anybody until I got right near OP, and then only saw two other couples hiking out I as I was hiking back.

1618866468071.png

1618866500876.png

1618866528963.png

1618866572917.png

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Was at REI the other day and noticed this popular dish dominates. Pretty much every freeze dried food company makes their take on this. Which one reigns supreme?

stroganoff-1.jpg

Stroganoff-2.jpg

Stroganoff-3.jpg

Stroganoff-4.jpg

stroganoff-6.jpg

stroganoff-7.jpg

stroganoff-8.jpg

Attachments

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
stroganoff-9.jpg

stroganoff-10.jpg

stroganoff-11.jpg

111778[/ATTACH]

111779[/ATTACH]

Attachments

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
*Packit Gourmet* has been my go to trail meals for a while now.

Have been trying to learn to dehydrate my own meals & packaging at home. Understand shelf life, etc. Mylar bags are an option. Menu choices are enormous to choose from to make one's self happy, with menu planning for a trip.
Grab and go from Walmart shelves for the cheap and easy packaged foods.

• Love

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I started making my own meals a few years ago. Put in brown paper lunch bags, roll up, glue stick them shut and label them with a sharpie. Burn the bag when you cook it and there's nothing to carry out. Freeze dried bean soup, lentil soup, corn chowder, pea soup, Idahoans potatoes etc. You can smash up some ramen noodles or anything else and mix them into the paper bags before sealing. Mix with single serve tuna/salmon pouches for some protein. My beef (curry) with those pre-made meals is they're usually 2 huge portions and come in thick plastic pouches that I have to carry out and usually smell. Maybe I'll try separating one of them in to the brown bags. Dehydrating my own food would be rad but it seems like it takes forever for little batches.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I have a strogonoff for my extra emergency day. I am winnowing down from 8 days to 7
because I can do it in 6. if things get weird, I bounce out early or yogi bear some food at
whitney from the blow ins. the stroganoff is just for instagram pictures.

this is about 3000 calories per day before I add in gummy bears and nut/choco/bacon trail mix

combination self-made stuff and prepackaged.

Good to Go and Food for the Sole are great food manufacturers you can buy from

I use https://meatshredz.com/, tuna/salmon packets, beef jerky, cooked bacon, and some chicken
I dehydrate myself to supplement meals with doubleplus protein. carrying the good stuff in the
pouches is a splurge that is worth it. dehydrated vegetable mix is good to fortify some meals with
extra vege/fibers. asian markets have tons of crazy deyhydrated (and freeze dried!) sh!t...miracle
rice is the shizniz

I have a crazy shake I mix for breakfast and recovery at camp at end of day...throw in some instant
coffee in the breakfast mix. using a foster's can to boil water over esbit (illegal)...everything just
rehydrates in the bag. no dishes. easy peasy. calorie dense/low weight. this is about 22oz per day
with high calorie count. most people do 32oz with less calories because they carry things that are
not calorically dense.

it's easy to lose your appetite at elevation so it's important for me to snack like a fkn pig all day
long while I walk and have a big meal end of day in camp as a wind down...diverse menu options
so you don't get sick of something and make it even harder than it already can be to get food
down....that probably seems counterintuitive but it is a common problem that can lead to all
sorts of bad news in backcountry.

1624479338644.png

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Tried a few different ways of getting calories into the belly over the years while out and about in the great outdoors. Even tried copying some of the Artic/Antarctic solo adventurers who fat adapt and eat frozen olive oil or butter sticks with everything (and the less said about my experience the better).

Lucky for me food is mostly about calories first not taste, so I can scarf down a whole lot of stuff prepared any number of ways.

What was magic for me was: peanut butter (chunky and the kind that separates out), quaker 5 minute oats, some dried cranberries, all mixed together in proportions you like, maybe some spices. Too dry is better than too wet. A bit of added salt is ok if the peanut butter has none in it. Keeps well, calorie dense, and fits in any container/bag. Love it with fresh granny smith (or other tart) apple for desert....gotta have the fiber to keep things moving. It isn't the only thing I bring but is great replacement for breakfast/lunch or gorp which always has mashed together anyway.

Never mind if I lose some weight on a long hike so I don't always strive for extra calories because "I am burning them up at altitude" (unless it is short trip and I am moving fast or it is cold).

Am fan of (one?) larger meal at sundown. Helps me sleep on the hard ground.

PS

A friend of mine once brought Monkey Chow (yes, from Purina). He figured it didn't spoil, was nutritionally balanced for our cousins, and packed well. I tried some and said, "You know, I think I like Meox Mix a little better." Oh, the things we tried as little kids. I recall dear old mom smacking it out of my hand once and saying something like, "Oh for heavens sake, don't be stupid, you're not a cat, you eat people food."

Last edited:
Reactions: PPK96754

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
15 years ago, a long weekend getaway would weigh in at 50/60lbs of junk stuff. Now, 26-32lbs of have-to-have essentials, depending on water sources. While dangerous, location specific and something I don’t condone for others, going a calorie deficient route can be deliriously fun. There’s nothing like a post 3-4 day day hike feeding frenzy. The ravenous gluttony of greasy bar food and beer.

some of the freeze tried stuff is tasty. I may have been caught by the Mrs eating some of it at home. Didnt want it to “expire”.

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
Have u heard about butthole sandwiches? Bagel with peanut butter honey and bacon throw a couple of those in your pack and you'll be stoked

Reactions: afoaf

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
Have u heard about butthole sandwiches? Bagel with peanut butter honey and bacon throw a couple of those in your pack and you'll be stoked
Never heard the term but they are tasty.

peanut butter, butter, honey and dried bananas are another. Peanut butter on each slice of bread with butter/honey/banana in the middle And seal the edges to contain. Go to fuel.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Hmmmm, real bacon crushed up into bits mixed with peanut butter spread pumpernickel (my favorite type of) bagels.

Will investigate....thanks for good idea.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
My boys are about to launch into a month long trek through a couple of sections of Roper's High Route. I'm stoked to be meeting up with them for the section from Red's Meadow to Iceberg Lake. Also stoked to have a few days in San Difornia Caliego to do some surfing and free diving.

My only concern is this... Since my boys are taking the jetboil, what do I take on my warm-up trip in the Rockies next weekend? Do I go with the 60 year old Svea that I inherited from my Dad, or do I go with the Pepsi-G I made 20 years ago?

Sure, the Pepsi-G is ultralight and ultra-cool, but the Svea sounds like a 747 on takeoff and, given its age, might actually just explode in my face. Cooking dinner is such a thrill when it involves the risk of death or disfigurement!

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
brs3000 is $12 and the little 100g gas cans are 7$

it's the legal and lightest option

the jetboil is overpriced, oversized, and overweight

would not bang

• Haha
Reactions: r32