Hawaii- Done

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
It has gotten to the point where I know military Officers that are starting to complain about the cost of living. If they're complaining, then we know things have gotten way of whack. There's a wait list a mile long to live on base due to the crazy rise in the real estate market. I've seen attached studios renting for $3000 a month. $1.1M homes listed in Ewa Beach. $950K 600 sqft homes in Kailua. The market is ultra crazy.

My personal thoughts is the ban of Airbnb pushed out the upper middle class for the ultra rich. They see Hawaii real estate and know they won't have to share it with tourists and buy it up since airbnbs are banned. It's a dream come true for rich people. No short term rentals and the lowest property taxes in the nation.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
My neighborhood as well as the entire north shore are chock full of Airbnb’s, operating openly. They’ve gone nowhere.

Call the enforcement hotline, here’s what they will tell you: “sorry, we’re understaffed.”

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
There’s a reason world history courses everywhere divide at 1500, there’s a reason they are no longer called “western civilization” courses and while 1500 is not a perfect demarcation, it’s pretty accurate.
Vasco da Gama - made it round the Cape of Good Hope, up the east coast of Africa to the Ilha de Moçambique where he refitted his ships in the thriving Arab slave port and was able to hire an Indian pilot for the trip across the Arabian Sea to the west coast of India on the seasonal southwest monsoon.

The Portuguese purchased pepper and other spices, brought them back to Lisbon and sold them for a fortune.

in 1498.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
To put in perspective on how crazy even the rental market is- I posted on a Facebook group that my 3/1.5 home in kailua is coming up for rent in the next week or so and I got about 10 messages instantly of people asking me about it saying they’re looking for somewhere

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
I’m torn on it.

I think it’s extreme gov over reach for them to tell you what you can do with you’re own home.
Not talking about government.

I used to rent word of mouth to travelling surfers long before Airbnb existed. Then the surfcamps started and cut into my market share. I went airbnb to cover. Before long, two seasons, they were pressuring me to drop the price in return for front page listings. They tried to get me to 5 bucks a head/night, not enough to pay for cleaning and towels/sheets changing. Others went with it, I got off.

Haven't short term rented since... Unfortunately, due to Spanish rental laws, no long term either. C'est la vie.

Our neighbors love us much more since the traffic stopped, even though we never reached peak occupancy, in a small rural area, any new presence is immediately noticed. When the new presence is loud, inconsiderate, boisterous, doesn't know where not to park, etc... They're noticed that much more. Not for the good.

City folks, in rural towns, stick out like neon signs. Basically.

This town used to house a lot of basic blue collar employees still when I stopped airbnb'ing, now some 7-8 years later, it's all airbnb... the difference is quite drastic.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
I think it’s extreme gov over reach for them to tell you what you can do with you’re own home.
I totally get that. But there is so much the government already does with zoning that regulates what you can and can't do on your property. I can't start a pig farm. I can't run a business from my home, especially if it involves bringing the end consumer to the property with all the traffic and parking issues. I can't build a three story building a foot from the property line. So we accept that power in many ways already.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I totally get that. But there is so much the government already does with zoning that regulates what you can and can't do on your property. I can't start a pig farm. I can't run a business from my home, especially if it involves bringing the end consumer to the property with all the traffic and parking issues. I can't build a three story building a foot from the property line. So we accept that power in many ways already.
You’re not wrong.

But then it becomes an over reach when they say you can’t use your home for its intended use which is providing shelter and a place to stay

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
You’re not wrong.

But then it becomes an over reach when they say you can’t use your home for its intended use which is providing shelter and a place to stay
I totally get it. And I've never had an issue with a family who has an extra room, or a studio on their property, or a second home on their property vacation renting. Then THEY get to deal with their vacation rental tenants, too, and can regulate poor behavior. Not sure about Kailua, but the vast majority vacation rentals out here are full homes, often owned by people who either live in town or not even in Hawaii (lots of investment pool types have bought portfolios of homes to vacation rent, in fact, this is now the majority of vacation rentals on Oahu, according to city council data). Then there is the fact that we need a rental market in rural Oahu, not everyone can afford to buy a home, and there are no apartment buildings out here. AirBnB's cut in to that in a big way. It's a tough situation all around.

On this particular issue, it's SUPER tough having the whole island, rural and urban, being a single county.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Hike up property taxes on non-primary residences? It blows my mind that a state with such expensive real estate has shitty infrastructure and education.
I think property taxes on non-primary residences should be prohibitively expensive BUT... that also can cut in to the supply of rental properties available.