Hawaii- Done

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I agree.

I think non home owner occupied should have some kind of rules.

I understand people pooling money cause it’s easy.

Each drop 100k to get a major roi

I would never but I understand it.

I think the c and c being one county is the bigger issue too

Reactions: Boneroni

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Home defense- best is a shotgun. Semi auto 8 round if you can swing it.

All around self defense- AR15 no doubt.

Best would be both and a flashlight mount on the shotgun

The Omega Man had to make due (S&W M76?) with what he had at the time:

1620072088607.png1620072115151.png

But he still died in the end with a spear in his guts.

Edit:

No short term rentals and the lowest property taxes in the nation.
Wait, what?!

1620072634501.png

My total property tax to the City and County of San Francisco is 1.3% of accessed value. 1.19% when I take out the SF taxes.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Tell them not to worry about it, or if they really need money, sell ice. There are no legal consequences for either one, apparently. At least from Kahaluu to Waialua.
On the local level there are now no legal consequences for intentionally doing anything illegal anywhere now, unless you're just a run of the mill working stiff who happens to actually pay taxes.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: racer1 and PRCD

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Hike up property taxes on non-primary residences? It blows my mind that a state with such expensive real estate has shitty infrastructure and education.
Maybe the solution is to stop voting for whatever party is running things.

Everywhere I hear people bitching about the direction things are going...meanwhile they wax poetic against the policies of the very people they are voting for.

I'm like, why didn't you vote for the other guy, you seem to agree with him/her on everything...?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
My neighborhood as well as the entire north shore are chock full of Airbnb’s, operating openly. They’ve gone nowhere.

Call the enforcement hotline, here’s what they will tell you: “sorry, we’re understaffed.”
Same story, pretty much every city in the USA right now. If it's not that way, it's going in that direction.

It's not just AirBnB - "Quality of life" violations are no longer considered and important issue by city governments and therefore not enforced.

Noise issues, code enforcement issues, theft, etc.

Lots of posters here will tell you to quit bitching and just take it up the ass. "BOY YOU REALLY COMPLAIN A LOT!"

Of course, like in the case of my neighbor, that's until their neighbor installs an 8000 lumen light on his property and points it so it's shining directly into their window. The victim calls code enforcement and get told "Sorry that's a Tier 3 violation and we're not enforcing those right now. You'd have to take him to court and sue him..."

I know another homeowner formerly of the same ilk who recently went to a rental unit across the street to tell them to STFU while they were throwing a party @ 2AM. This is because the cops are too understaffed to show up until hours later so the PD takes the call off their to do list after a few hours (it's just a quality of life issue, ya know?)...now he's tangled up in a restraining order ordeal freaking out because the judge could essentially kick him out of his own home...

Last edited:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I’m torn on it.

I think it’s extreme gov over reach for them to tell you what you can do with you’re own home.
It's nice to think you can do whatever you want with your property, but with human nature being what it is, that's a bad idea. Enough people will fuck things up for everybody without qualms that we have to have legal and societal restrictions. Even if it's your own home, if you use it for a business you have to comform to the rules. Otherwise you get anarchy.

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
Hike up property taxes on non-primary residences? It blows my mind that a state with such expensive real estate has shitty infrastructure and education.
they tried this couple years ago with a proposed constitutional amendment to fund education but the realtor assoc scare tactics won out

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I think we should have a lottery for funding education
they need to fix the system before wasting anymore money on it
flatten the system and pare down the admin side of DOE but make the schools more accountable with oversite to prevent fraud. So much fraud, even in the charter system millions wasted thousands stolen every year.
Find ways to put the money where it's really needed and make the most difference.
Then find the funds.

If you throw more money at the current problem it it'll just be wasted
Just like everything here, it's a convoluted mess where everyone's unhappy except those at the top in power.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I think we should have a lottery for funding education
I bet the situation is the same in HI:

Out here, the pension obligations are skyrocketing and school districts are basically becoming pension fund managers, stripping down everything to keep up the payments to CalSTRS. Local school districts in my area are having layoffs.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I bet the situation is the same in HI:

Out here, the pension obligations are skyrocketing and school districts are basically becoming pension fund managers, stripping down everything to keep up the payments to CalSTRS. Local school districts in my area are having layoffs.
The state off-loaded pension payments to the districts to help balance Sacramento's books. They did the same to local governemts / PERS, I believe. Oddly, many districts are currently swimming in money due to Covid relief dough and increased tax revenues.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
Warren Buffet was asked this weekend why Berkshire Hathaway doesn't start paying a dividend rather than re-investing its profits as it has always done. He said that would be unfair to the shareholders who mostly bought Berkshire because they were savers and liked how Berkshire re-invested and that people who wanted dividends bought stock in other companies.

Which is like zoning. You take what seems like a big risk at the time, buy a house with a steep mortgage payment in an area that you like because of how its zoned, who lives there, just the whole nature of the place - that's why you buy - that's why you agree to dedicate 28% or more of your earnings to it for a long period of time. For someone to come along and radically change that without even a vote on it is wrong. If my neighbor started renting out a room in their single family house I would prosecute that relentlessly. They didn't buy a rooming house so they should have no expectation of having one. And zoning - building codes - all of it came from what went wrong in the past and protects people who have an investment in the neighborhood so that they can continue to enjoy what they bought.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Warren Buffet was asked this weekend why Berkshire Hathaway doesn't start paying a dividend rather than re-investing its profits as it has always done. He said that would be unfair to the shareholders who mostly bought Berkshire because they were savers and liked how Berkshire re-invested and that people who wanted dividends bought stock in other companies.

Which is like zoning. You take what seems like a big risk at the time, buy a house with a steep mortgage payment in an area that you like because of how its zoned, who lives there, just the whole nature of the place - that's why you buy - that's why you agree to dedicate 28% or more of your earnings to it for a long period of time. For someone to come along and radically change that without even a vote on it is wrong. If my neighbor started renting out a room in their single family house I would prosecute that relentlessly. They didn't buy a rooming house so they should have no expectation of having one. And zoning - building codes - all of it came from what went wrong in the past and protects people who have an investment in the neighborhood so that they can continue to enjoy what they bought.

Ok fine prosecute it.

What most people don’t realize it’s a civil matter and the punishment for it is very minor and can only remain proportional to the infraction which allowing someone to stay in your home is

Reactions: stringcheese